Thoughts on the frontier?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Sameer

Thoughts on the frontier?

Post by Sameer »

Hi everyone, new to bikepacking so forgive me if this has already been discussed. I read Stu's review of the frontier and saw a couple of them at WRT this year. I'm thinking of getting one through the cycle to work scheme.

Just wanted to know what people's experiences are with the rigid frontier? Anything different you would do to the bog standard SX eagle rigid?
Boab

Re: Thoughts on the frontier?

Post by Boab »

I toyed with the idea of buying a Frontier earlier this year, SRAM builds put me off and I'd have built from frame and forks. Evidently they are going to be doing Shimano builds soon, or at least I think I read that they were, so I'd be waiting for one of those personally.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
nagasaki45

Post by nagasaki45 »

Don't know when they added them but the shimano builds are up on their site.

Re the frontier SX. After ~2 months and ~5 overnighters (+/- 1 night :lol:) I quite like it. But I don't know if I can give proper advice as I barely have any experience with anything else.

The frontier is heavier than the any of my previous bikes (hybrid with 42mm gravel tyres, CX with 38mm tyres), and usually slower. The main advantage, for me, is that it doesn't exhaust me on rough terrain as my previous bikes, and I'm much more comfortable riding it while tired. On the previous bikes, it felt like I could easily fly over the handlebar if I do a small mistake. The frontier is way more stable and "forgiving". You don't need to think much, just ride through whatever and it will be fine. As someone with barely any technique, that's very much appreciated when trying to ride long days.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

SRAM builds put me off
Having shimano and sram on both drop bar and MTB there is no real difference between them in use so not sure why anyone would prefer one to another

Sram are a bit more clunky [ or positive ] when you cange but both have worked wthout isue for the 10 +years I have been using them
just looked £300 more to get a Deore groupset - that is a lot of hatred of SRAM you would need and /or deep pockets
Boab

Post by Boab »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:42 pm
SRAM builds put me off
Having shimano and sram on both drop bar and MTB there is no real difference between them in use so not sure why anyone would prefer one to another
I have all the gubbings to service Shimano components, including oil for the hydraulic brakes. I've never use SRAM, and I don't want to have to buy a whole other set of tools, bits and oil... It's all a bit Nikon v Canon and I've gone Nikon.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I've gone Nikon
i understand your thinking but i really would not pay £300 to get Deore over SRAM

YMMV

I dont have eithers brakes though my next bike [ awating delivery] has SRAM brakes so ets see if they have imprved from Avid Juicy - they must have surely