Severe knee pain?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Severe knee pain?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Has anyone suffered with severe pain in the outside of the knee? I've had quad insertion strains before but that resulted in pain at the top of the knee, on the front.

It's very obviously a cycling related injury but the only information I can find either in books or on-line says it's an overuse injury and to just rest it. I can only describe the pain as severe, there's a dull ache when resting but when riding (or even walking) the pain increases to the point where any sensible person would stop ;) There's no swelling/bruising of the knee or surrounding area.

My bike set-up hasn't changed in any way and the problem started on the 3rd consecutive day of (fairly intensive) riding. I know I should have stopped at that point but didn't have much choice but to continue for another 100km or so, which obviously hasn't helped the situation :?

I haven't thrown a leg over a bike for the last 3 days, I've tried to limit walking, etc and while it's less severe it still hurts like hell ...imagine riding with a dislocated knee and you'll get the picture.

Thoughts, suggestions most welcome.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jamiep

Re: Severe knee pain?

Post by jamiep »

*not qualified in any way but have torn knee ligaments previously. This advice is based on my then physio and the general advice of a friend of a friend who is the Dr on Cairngorm mountain*

Sounds like a damaged ligament. Any pain that is severe should be rested. A course of ibuprofen will reduce any swelling that may be a contributing factor and will do no harm. A 'course' = 3 times a day for 5 days.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A course of ibuprofen will reduce any swelling that may be a contributing factor and will do no harm. A 'course' = 3 times a day for 5 days.
Ta ... I was living on a mixture of Ibuprofen, Paracetmol and ProPlus on the last couple of days :shock:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Whatever it is - and if you're bike setup hasn't changed and you know works well for you.

Then I'd guess that you've clearly done something to it (strained, torn, bruised something somewhere) and you need to do the old RICE thing, stretch appropriately, repair and recover. Then start building up slowly again (and don't overdo it to soon like I kept on doing for 6 months coz I was sick of not doing any proper riding...)

You might not work out what did it (which I guess is a bit of a pain in terms of trying to make sure it doesn't happen again), but I would have thought the recovery method is broadly similar.

With this limited snip of information it sounds like overuse, but you could have just have easily twanged something oddly at some point over the ride...

All IMHO of course and to be taken with a pinch of salt - just my ten penneth worth.

Hope you mend fast.
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

my right knee has a tendency to ache on the outside, and when cycling i have a tendency for the right knee to move in towards my bike as i cycle. I have been advised to strengthen my glute on that side to help the tracking of my knee.

Even though it is quite noticable this only causes me real problems on multiday rides. When i do irritate it i find ibuprofen gel/diclofenac gel seem to be more effective than the tablets (although you can use both for the short term without much problem). the key is to view it as an anti inflammatory and apply it even when it isn't acutely painful any more until it has totally settled.

I always carry a bit of co-hesive bandage on long rides as i find a bit of support (and gel!) will allow me to carry on riding without much problem. You can pick them up in tescos for a few pounds.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/33285 ... exercises/

;- D
D Faff Master

Post by D Faff Master »

Most likely to be tight IT bands. Can come on very suddenly and very painful. Generally quite easy but painful to self treat with a foam roller.

Should be able to get back on the bike within a week. It's likely that your saddle is too low and you've over-developed strengthed the lateral aspect of your quads leading to increased tightness in your IT band.

So foam roller, slightly higher saddle and remember to get out of the saddle now and again so that you are working all of your quad muscles.

More info here
http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport ... d-syndrome

Foam roller technique here (but clearly her IT bands are not tight because if they were she would be quivering with pain and crying for her mum (you'll know what I mean when you try it). A hot bath/shower before the foam rollering makes it a bit easier. Can also ice afterwards if it's been brutal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qD3yRSziWs

Hope that helps. I had it bad 5 or 6 years ago came on suddenly during a ride felt terminal. Rand my wife to pick me up. Did some research had a few sports massages and all sorted, hope your back biking soon.

Mark
D Faff Master

Post by D Faff Master »

Saddle position could be OK as it may have been due to 3 days cycling back to back. Maybe a little bit too much too soon.

Foam Roller and you'll be :lol: and :cry:
D Faff Master

Post by D Faff Master »

Some general advice regarding adjusting cycling positions for different injuries.
http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm

Still think foam roller will work though.

I've been off my bike since January with severe knee pain but that's because they had to do microfracture on my knee after injuring myself playing football. Very frustrating :?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4445PZ9 ... ata_player

Hoping I'll be fit enough for a bit of bikepacking in the summer.

Don't think I'll be able to zoom round the BB200 course this year. Think I'll go for a proper overnight pit stop and might even bring the wife :o