Cairngorms Loop(s) advice.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jurassic

Cairngorms Loop(s) advice.

Post by Jurassic »

I have a few days off next week and the forecast is looking okay so I was considering riding part of the Cairngorms Loop route. I'm looking for advice on which are the best bits for scenery and riding (minimising HAB), so would you ride the inner loop, outer loop or part of the inner and part of the outer combined to get the best bits. I don't have time to do it all and am not bothered about doing huge mileages, more interested in a pleasant experience. Also bike advice, I'm intending to ride a hardtail 29er but also have a gravel bike, I'm guessing that the MTB would be the better option. TIA.
Dean

Re: Cairngorms Loop(s) advice.

Post by Dean »

If you take the outer loop the entire way around and go straight down Glen Tilt to Blair Atholl that is the Tour of the Cairngorms (which preexists the CL if I remember correctly). The only lengthy HaB would be Burn of Brown (dependent on how much water is in the river). There are two narrow/five wide rivers to cross so if you do tour and have space take some crocs!

I took the inner loop to Ryvoan bothy and then cut North to join the outer loop but I had food for my extended whole trip and did not need to visit Aviemore. I did a short day, long day and short day with a leisurely pace.

Take a 29er, there are a lot of rocky trails where big rolling tyres are better.
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

Agree, inner loop has much more hike a bike. You'll enjoy any of it more on an MTB than a gravel bike too (although doable on a gravel bike and at least it's light to carry!).
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Follow the CL route to Loch Morlich, and on to Ryvoan bothy (without turning right up towards Bynack). From Ryvoan continue on over to Forest Lodge and rejoin the outer loop around Nethy Bridge. Follow outer loop to Glen Tilt, but keep going along the Tilt back to Blair Atholl.
MTB not Gravel bike.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Brilliant, thanks folks. :-bd
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

The outer loop is a wonderful excursion. Really recommend it
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Thanks again. I need to speak to my buddy tomorrow and see if he's up for it (he runs our LBS so I'm not sure how much time away from his business he'll be able to take). If it's just me doing it I have plenty of time to do the tour/outer loop hybrid suggested but I'm hoping he'll want to come as well, some company would be nice.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

At Sronpahdruig Lodge, don't cross the river. Carry on along the big track until you see a pony post, then up a bit of singletrack until you are at the level of the moor. from here, make your way as best you can to the track that runs alongside Loch an Duin. Likely you'll do some bog hopping for a short distance but the track soon becomes rideable again.

At the outflow of the loch the track uses a ford. This can be a bit deep/fast depending on water levels. There is a shallower/slower (but wider) crossing just as the loch narrow into the river. The other river crossings along here should be fine at the moment.

At Tromie Bridge, cut over to Glen Feshie and then the track past Loch Gamhna to Loch an Eilean and then Loch Morlich, then on to Glenmore, Ryvoan and Forest Lodge. The Faeshallach should be an easy crossing. At the Dorback, the best crossing is 50m or so upstream. It's wider but shallower.

Burn of Brown - you have two options. If the water is low enough you can cycle right through all the meanders until you see the old horse box on your left, then you need to head up the muddy track on the right. Alternatively, cross the Burn as soon as you can and stay on the right bank, cutting through some shrubs etc as you go.

Potential for some h-a-b at Loch Builg, but it's short lived. The descent down the Tilt has some scary exposure in parts that you'll likely want to walk.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Thanks Colin, great detailed info. Out of interest, did you have any input into the route on bikepacking.com? I lifted their GPX and it seems to show all the diversions that you mention when I look at it closely.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

What Colin describes is an excellent trip, though I didn't do the bit over the hill from Tromie Bridge to Glen Feshie, instead taking the road around ( I wasn't aware of that variant at that time 2017 or 18 I think). I was using the route (more or less) as descibed in "Scotland Mountain Biking: The Wild Trails" which contains the "Tour of the Cairngorms".
As Colin says some bits are a bit exposed ont the upper part of the Tilt, I had an off up there, so if you happen to find a titanium spoon on that section let me know :lol: It's a great outing.

Back in the late nineties I did a trip starting at Blair Atholl, which was up the Tilt, on to the Geldie, then Feshie reurning via Glen Tromie and on to Dalnacardoch. That was doable in a normal weekend if you are pressed for time.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Jurassic wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:56 am Thanks Colin, great detailed info. Out of interest, did you have any input into the route on bikepacking.com? I lifted their GPX and it seems to show all the diversions that you mention when I look at it closely.
Nah. It pre-dates my involvement with the Cairngorms Loop ITT. There have been a few track changes (especially Feshie) that I reflect in OpenStreetMap though.

Piemonster and I are doing the lower loop (Tilt, not Fealar option) on Sunday.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I'm really looking forward to it. Just out my bed off night shift and after a bit of breakfast I'll go and see if LBS friend is going to come with me. If he is doing, then I suspect we'll leave after he shuts his shop on Saturday, drive to Blair Atholl and leave from there (riding as far as we can before it gets completely dark on Saturday night). If it's just me going I'll probably leave on Monday morning as I have the luxury of time off next week.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Thanks again everyone. I rode the suggested loop on Monday and Tuesday. I originally planned to do it over three equalish days but ended up pushing on during day two in order to beat the weather (and just because I wanted to see if I could do it), to get back in two. I absolutely loved the Dalnacardoch Lodge to Tomintoul section for the ever changing beautiful scenery and variety of riding but found the endless estate tracks of the Tomintoul to Braemar section a little tedious at times. Overall it was great though. :-bd
ImageIMG_20210608_110524448 by Jurassic690, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20210608_175629882 by Jurassic690, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20210608_185309141 by Jurassic690, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20210608_202128362 by Jurassic690, on Flickr
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Excellent. I did the Blair Atholl, Geldie, Feshie, Tromie, Gaick loop on Sunday. The rivers are all pretty low so your timing was excellent. Did you see the Star Wars set in Glen Tilt?
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:17 pm Excellent. I did the Blair Atholl, Geldie, Feshie, Tromie, Gaick loop on Sunday. The rivers are all pretty low so your timing was excellent. Did you see the Star Wars set in Glen Tilt?
Yes, I knew it must be a big production because of the amount of infrastructure but didn't realise it was for Star Wars (I thought it might be Braveheart 2 or something)! :lol: I have pics I'll post in a minute.
Regarding the rivers, yeah no problems at all, wet feet but I was expecting that. Even Glen Brown was fine and 95% rideable.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

It was late in the day when I tool these pics so the light was going but fwiw here's the Star Wars set.
ImageStar Wars set. by Jurassic690, on Flickr

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Good trip there.
Re the temporary bridge, they had better hope a summer storm doesn't come through or else that will end up in Blair Atholl!
I dread to think what kind of contrived storyline involves rustic stoneage-esque dwellings.....
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

htrider wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:25 am Good trip there.
Re the temporary bridge, they had better hope a summer storm doesn't come through or else that will end up in Blair Atholl!
I dread to think what kind of contrived storyline involves rustic stoneage-esque dwellings.....
Endor?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

yes that was what i thught EWOKs

Who knows though as they will make anything for money and they have all been pretty poor after the originals [ roque 1 is the best of the pick ] Worst well that is a lot harder to workout
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

This was the bridge last Sunday

Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I noticed all the turf that had been used to disguise the estate track as well, it must have been a pretty huge operation. The week before last I was out riding a loop from Bridge of Orchy, Loch Lyon, Rannoch, Rannoch Station, Loch Laidon and back down the WHW from Kingshouse and there had been something similar going on near Black Corries Lodge on Rannoch Moor with loads of plastic treadplate mats, temporary facilities, tents etc. I wonder if that was for the same production?
Boab

Post by Boab »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:34 am
htrider wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:25 am Good trip there.
Endor?
Endor's a rain forest. Take your pick from this list - https://www.starwars.com/news/future-lu ... s-revealed
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Rumour is the Ben Kenobi story
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'm sure there will be plenty of rain :lol:
Plus the set designers will not have a clue about how quick the Tilt can rise after a storm, especially given how dry its been....
ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:51 am Rumour is the Ben Kenobi story
Yawn - talk about milking something well beyond the point of all sense
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Wow, I lost interest after the first one in 1977 (which I did enjoy). I can't believe there are so many spin offs still in the pipeline. Just shows how much money is available to and made by the big Hollywood productions.