Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Another book

Post by whitestone »

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Boab

Re: Another book

Post by Boab »

There's another review up on ADVNTR. Liking the look of a few of the photos that go along with it...

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
vdubber67

Post by vdubber67 »

After my previous disappointment with the 'other' bikepacking book, I was a bit more excited about this one, promising as it does on the cover 'multi-day' rides.

It's a lovely book - really nice guides to a variety of areas, but I'm really not sure about the 'multi-day' bit. A lot of the rides seem to be around the 100km mark. Surely that's a nice big single day, but a bit short for two days?

Hoping to use it as a starting point for some inspiration though - we'll see :)
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

K1100T wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:49 am There's another review up on ADVNTR. Liking the look of a few of the photos that go along with it...

That's the Tennyson Trail on the Island (I didn't even need to click the link to know that) and when the weather's nice it's a nice ride, not so great when there's a 60mph+ headwind :lol:

From Carisbrooke to Freshwater Bay it's 9.5 miles (only the western end is chalk) and the KOM on strava is 38 minutes, so not quite a mulit-day ride :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

It's a lovely book - really nice guides to a variety of areas, but I'm really not sure about the 'multi-day' bit. A lot of the rides seem to be around the 100km mark. Surely that's a nice big single day, but a bit short for two days?
From Carisbrooke to Freshwater Bay it's 9.5 miles (only the western end is chalk) and the KOM on strava is 38 minutes, so not quite a mulit-day ride
Not everyone is as physically blessed, and/or in a rush. :wink:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

A lot of the rides seem to be around the 100km mark. Surely that's a nice big single day, but a bit short for two days?
I dont think we are the target audience but most folk starting bikepacking will probably find that a long ride /enough for an overnighter.
arkay

Post by arkay »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:09 pm
A lot of the rides seem to be around the 100km mark. Surely that's a nice big single day, but a bit short for two days?
I dont think we are the target audience but most folk starting bikepacking will probably find that a long ride /enough for an overnighter.
I have recently got a copy of this book and it is very nicely done. I like the way each route starts out with a little "story" style snippet to give you a flavour of it rather than just a bare route description.

Being a newcomer I am probably more in the target market and the routes and distances look to be pitched nicely for those just dipping a toe into bikepacking and the advice section at the front looks good for beginners. I can see that those who knock off 100km of tussock-hopping before breakfast might find them a bit tame though.

Also I like the fact there are several routes fairly near to me in the south (including two or three I could easily do from home) rather than all being in the more remote parts of the country.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think we can perhaps anticipate a run on bikepacking route books over the next couple of years. I predict that most, if not all, will be squarely aimed at those new to the whole thing. I tend to think that as people gain experience, they're far more likely to 'wing it' on shorter trips and follow established routes on longer ones.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

In view of the slug discussion on the other thread does someone need to write a book like 'Bikepacking, this is what its really like' or something??
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

n view of the slug discussion on the other thread does someone need to write a book like 'Bikepacking, this is what its really like' or something??
Ooh that's a good idea :wink:
arkay

Post by arkay »

htrider wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:30 pm In view of the slug discussion on the other thread does someone need to write a book like 'Bikepacking, this is what its really like' or something??
The book under discussion sort of hints at it. I quote:
Broadly speaking a tent is often a slightly heavier option, takes time to set up and can make you more conspicuous, but it does provide a heightened sense of security and offers better shelter from the elements and curious wildlife.
:grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:45 pm
n view of the slug discussion on the other thread does someone need to write a book like 'Bikepacking, this is what its really like' or something??
Stobbit :wink: .

PS> By the way, you can have my latest "no poo" story if you like...
Last edited by RIP on Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

arkay wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:56 pm "tent .... does provide a heightened sense of security"
As has been pointed out frequently Here, this "security" is entirely illusory of course :smile: . In fact it can make you worse off because you think you're secure when plainly you're not. Unless the said tent is erected inside a locked room of course :wink:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

arkay wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:56 pm The book under discussion sort of hints at it. I quote:
Broadly speaking a tent is often a slightly heavier option, takes time to set up and can make you more conspicuous, but it does provide a heightened sense of security and offers better shelter from the elements and curious wildlife.
Anyone seen 'Dog Soldiers'?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yeah, even a well fortified bothy didn't help those lads :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

htrider wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:51 pm
arkay wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:56 pm The book under discussion sort of hints at it. I quote:
Or read page 26 of Bill Bryson's "A Walk In The Woods" as I've been doing recently...

Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I hate to tell you all but there is another one coming hot on the tails of this. I did not write it but have been asked to endorse it. Can’t say too much but bikepacking books are clearly on the ascendancy.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Hannah and Joolze having a nice chat with Emma (the author) on their WOACA Division podcast (episode 6):

https://www.woacadivision.com/podcast-catch-up
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

RIP wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:10 pm

Reg, I've searched high and low but couldn't find your 'no poo' story... Was it not in the thread Dave made about going natural...
RIP

Post by RIP »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:40 pm

Reg, I've searched high and low but couldn't find your 'no poo' story... Was it not in the thread Dave made about going natural...
Nah it's hidden away in Cheery Friday. Not for those of a delicate disposition perhaps though :wink: . (Not that I'm saying you are of course Shaf :wink: )

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

RIP wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:57 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:40 pm

Nah it's hidden away in Cheery Friday. Not for those of a delicate disposition perhaps though :wink: . (Not that I'm saying you are of course Shaf :wink: )
Aha... ok. I was checking in the 'no poo' thread by Dave. Yeah, I've heard enough Reg and will leave it hidden until its published :smile: