Undercarriage Multi-Day Hygiene

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Undercarriage Multi-Day Hygiene

Post by Richard G »

I noticed this topic come up in the bum butter thread, and I'm wondering if anyone has any good advice to share.

On the WRT this weekend I took some anti-bacterial wipes with me for use around my undercarriage at the end of the day. Whilst they didn't stop the damage that was being done (I have massive problems with my perineum getting shredded), they did seem to stop me getting anywhere near as sore as I normally would do. Especially given I haven't ridden outdoors for 9 months so my body is definitely not hardened to it.

Is there any sort of good wipe / cream combination that might help? I can't help feeling that the wipes I had might have been a touch extreme for use in sensitive areas.

I know that Dave swears (lol?) by a particular routine and I'd be happy to try out some different options as I have a few multi day rides coming up.
Dave Barter

Re: Undercarriage Multi-Day Hygiene

Post by Dave Barter »

I use baby wipes and every sink I encounter on the way. Never drink from a basin within 50 miles of me. I also slather on witch hazel
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Cheers. Have never considered using witch hazel. Sounds hardcore! :shock:

Edit - Interesting, apparently helps with inflammation. That could definitely be useful for me. Do you buy the gel / cream?
Last edited by Richard G on Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I use anti bacterial wipes although I also wondered if they might be a bit harsh? As well as my undercarriage I also give the chamois a wipe over. I also make sure to get some air to my bits/get the shorts off.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm fairly convinced that I've never suffered because I don't use or wear anything beneath my baggies. Obviously, that provides plenty of ventilation to everything.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

There’s ventilation and cleanliness. I’m not convinced you’d get away with nothing on a 20 day plus outing. A boil can end a trip. I know that only too well. Witch hazel is the best thing I’ve found for keeping them at bay.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I’m not convinced you’d get away with nothing on a 20 day plus outing
Possibly not but many people appear to suffer far earlier than that Dave.

Witch Hazel, also great for sunburn :-bd
ton

Post by ton »

I have never worn cycling shorts. They made me sweaty and sore. I wear M&S undies which I rotate with a second pair. I wash the worn pair once done for the day.

Never get sore down below.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Any trip longer than 3 nights and I wash my shorts every evening in water using whatever soap I’m carrying for me.
Longer (week+) trips I’ll have two pairs of shorts and alternate them each day.
The undercarriage gets washed with soap and water every day as far as is possible.
No problems with sores using that routine over months of cycle travel.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

One tip I heard somewhere is to never wash your shorts in biological powder, apparently any residue try’s to dissolve your arse :shock:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Paw paw ointment is a good option for a shredded perineum. Aussie cyclists swear by it for treating existing saddle sores. Not much good for preventing them in my experience, but a dab is very soothing in the evening when you've cleaned up and things have cooled down.
I'm just going outside ...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Get some Tiger Balm slapped on :-bd :shock:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:53 pm Get some Tiger Balm slapped on :-bd :shock:
No way hippie.... what you need is Ralgex x(
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Wash whenever you can. Dry put your bits often (I sleep with nowt undercarriage on for that reason, leg warmers stay on mind). Find a chamois with a lot of venting. Stand up on descents to promote "cooling" effect. At night try your best to dry out your shorts - I adopt the inside my jacket while I am sleeping technique. This became quite... intoxicating during the latter stages of the TDR.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Some good info here, cheers. This definitely just isn't sweat / chammy related as I've now had it happen both when I'm wearing a pad and when not. Seems to get worse when I'm getting on and off the bike a lot, very rarely an issue if there's not a lot of hike a bike. Also, I'd expect it to be worse at race pace if it was just heat related too, and it's definitely not.

I should try some cutout saddles again.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Richard G wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:14 pm I should try some cutout saddles again.
Despite having a Selle Italia Max Flite Gelflow saddle (with a cut out) on my gravel bike, I'd always thought that cut out saddles were a bit of a gimmick to some extent. Recently though I decided to try an Ergon SM saddle on one of my mountain bikes after suffering with perineal numbness on longer rides. First impressions weren't very positive, it didn't feel very comfortable and seemed very sensitive to fore and aft and level adjustments but I persevered with it and either it broke in a little or my arse adapted to it. What was very noticeable though was that it completely eliminated any perineal pressure. After a month of use I bought one to replace the Selle Italia on my full sus bike and when I can justify the outlay I think I'll be trying the SR (roady) version on my gravel bike. Ergon grips have been my go to for a while now and although I know saddles are a very personal thing I'm quite impressed with the saddles as well.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

GregMay wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:27 pm Wash whenever you can. Dry put your bits often (I sleep with nowt undercarriage on for that reason, leg warmers stay on mind). Find a chamois with a lot of venting. Stand up on descents to promote "cooling" effect. At night try your best to dry out your shorts - I adopt the inside my jacket while I am sleeping technique. This became quite... intoxicating during the latter stages of the TDR.
:YMSICK: :YMSICK: :YMSICK: :YMSICK: :YMSICK:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Jurassic wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:52 pm Recently though I decided to try an Ergon SM saddle on one of my mountain bikes after suffering with perineal numbness on longer rides. First impressions weren't very positive, it didn't feel very comfortable and seemed very sensitive to fore and aft and level adjustments but I persevered with it and either it broke in a little or my arse adapted to it. What was very noticeable though was that it completely eliminated any perineal pressure.
Cheers. Maybe I can find a loan one somewhere.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

My technique is:
Pants:
Endura shorts with clickfast liners. I take 2 or 3 liners and rotate them. Wash/dry the not worn ones when you get the chance.
Washing:
I also take a washcloth/flannel. Find it works a lot better than baby wipes and is a bit better from an environmental/throwaway point? I also have some small silicone re-fillable travel toiletry bottles I fill up with face wash.
Sore bits:
I take some sudocream and put that on any rubbing/chafing.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Overheating is where problems seem to start for me. I rarely have issues in cold weather but when it heats up I get what I assume are inflamed pores or sweat glands that provide a good focus for chafing.

That said, I’ve never had a serious problem, even on multi-day trips.

My regime is nothing more than: wash my undercarriage when I can, using whatever’s available, apply chamois cream every morning, wash shorts if I get a chance.
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

A wire brush and antibacterial hand gel that we’re all carrying now, sorts the adults from the children :-bd
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

UnderTheRadars wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:45 am A wire brush and antibacterial hand gel that we’re all carrying now, sorts the adults =)) from the children :-bd
You're a right bright Arse (Ar'se) :-bd :lol: =)) :YMAPPLAUSE:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ledburner wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:13 am
UnderTheRadars wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:45 am A wire brush and antibacterial hand gel that we’re all carrying now, sorts the adults =)) from the children :-bd
You're a right bright Arse (Ar'se) :-bd :lol: =)) :YMAPPLAUSE:
That missed the profannyity filter!
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
FLV

Post by FLV »

I suffered with a chamois is hot weather, I've been experimenting without the chamois lately yet have only tried an overnighter so far.

I've also changed saddles with the loss of the chamois and now have 3 different ones on the go!

I'm using montane dart undies as there's no seam accross the cheek. A major advantage for me is they take up next to no room to carry a spare pair for day 2 or 3 and dry very quickly.

As ever, ventilation in heat, try to keep yer arse dry in the wet.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I wash my bottom with good old clean water over the latrine/toilet/squatting over a hole position. If it's after having relieved self then it'll be a wipe first.

We got taught by the prophet Mohammed (SallallahuAlayhiWasallam/PBUH) a clean hand dirty hand technique. Whereby we eat with the right hand (unless good reason we're unable to) and wash bottom with the left hand. Obviously after toilet duties it'll be a good old wash of hands with water etc...

Once everything's clean proper then I find the sores don't come as quickly and less likely to become infected so able to ride further. This one year i made a sudocrem/honey concoction to ride to Bristol. Not sure if that's 2hat killed my ST trousers but basically the lather on my bottom and on the chamoise caused a nice barrier but it seeped through slightly so I waa stuck to saddle some of the ride :smile:

Btw, I'll be careful not to go use any sinks anywhere within Daves range :lol: thanks for the repeat warning