From Sea to Mountain - Locations?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Re: From Sea to Mountain - Locations?

Post by jameso »

summittoppler wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:32 pm Its a good old climb from Conwy up to the summit of Drum and all legal. You could be cheeky and keep going up to Carnedd Llewellyn and Carnedd Dafydd. On a clear day there's nothing better.
Image20170507_125322 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
:-bd
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Why not River to Mountain? If you want to do the longest unbroken climb in the UK, put your back wheel in the Feshie burn and ride to the summit of Mullach clach a' Blair. 660m climbing.
Brownie points: zero dabs on the climb up.
Mega brownie points: burn-summit-burn in <60 mins
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:05 pm Aberystwyth then ride up Pymlimon and back down again. Or Barmouth and pedal up Cadair. :-bd
Good luck riding up there!! :wink:
That said, the route I've come down seems for gradual, but no ROW up there.

Cader Idris would be a good one. The track on the west from Llanfihangel is rideable, joins the Pony Path still good up until the last section to the summit.

Depending on the exact route, Pont Scethin route will have some high spots and very barren feel.
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

padonbike wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:41 pm Why not River to Mountain? If you want to do the longest unbroken climb in the UK, put your back wheel in the Feshie burn and ride to the summit of Mullach clach a' Blair. 660m climbing.
Snowdon or Cader Idris would both beat that figure I'm sure. How do you work it out?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Indeed no legal RoW but it is doable and even quite enjoyable :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:20 am
Indeed no legal RoW but it is doable and even quite enjoyable :wink:
I've only been up as a hike a bike from the small Res up high, then riding down towards the A44
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

When I started mountainbiking, we had a caravan in Borth. I rode from there to the summit of Plynlimon by riding along the trail that follows the river Leri until the Talybont-Ponterwyd road at Nant y Moch res, then left up into a plantation using a bridleway that comes out on the A44 at Eisteddfa Gurig. When the track emerged from the plantation it was left up an easy ridge to the top. The descent down to the Llyn Llygad Rheidol and Nant y Moch was a bit sketchy in places but then it was easy riding back to Talybont and Borth. This was 30 years ago so the plantation section is probably impassible now unless it's been harvested. It was a grand day out.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

mattpage wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:15 am
padonbike wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:41 pm Why not River to Mountain? If you want to do the longest unbroken climb in the UK, put your back wheel in the Feshie burn and ride to the summit of Mullach clach a' Blair. 660m climbing.
Snowdon or Cader Idris would both beat that figure I'm sure. How do you work it out?
This is strava data. 660m. You can also plot the contours from OS carefully and arrive at exactly the same figure. It is completely unbroken climbing. I couldn't possibly comment on Walesland. :wink:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Bilbao is surprisingly mountainous - I was riding up to a 999m summit just out of town before I succumbed to a hangover and a terrible thirst. Could probably have been back on the beach within an hour and a half or so had I been so inclined.

The Basque coast to the west of there has some proper big bastard mountains, would be an interesting few days' ride to head across to Gijon or Oviedo stoping at a few a of the quieter coastal towns and heading up into the mountains.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

In Reverse wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:53 pm The Basque coast to the west of there has some proper big bastard mountains, would be an interesting few days' ride to head across to Gijon or Oviedo stoping at a few a of the quieter coastal towns and heading up into the mountains.
I went on holiday to Asturias a few years ago, and it's stunning. I'd love to go back with my bike.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Asturias is home to the terrifying Alto L'angrilu which is rated as one of the hardest climbs in road cycling. Some may remember an eventful day we had on the 2017 Vuelta where we turned from humble spectators to having Chris Froome have his doping test done in our camper van having just won the race. It's 1,550m straight up with sections of 25-30% and clings to a cliff face with big drops off the side.
Bilbao area is also pretty hilly, this year's Spanish Divide climbs Monte Arraiz before descending into the city from here Image
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

pistonbroke wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:49 am Asturias is home to the terrifying Alto L'angrilu which is rated as one of the hardest climbs in road cycling. Some may remember an eventful day we had on the 2017 Vuelta where we turned from humble spectators to having Chris Froome have his doping test done in our camper van having just won the race. It's 1,550m straight up with sections of 25-30% and clings to a cliff face with big drops off the side.
Bilbao area is also pretty hilly, this year's Spanish Divide climbs Monte Arraiz before descending into the city from here Image
I found the drive up to the Lakes of Covadonga quite taxing, so I don't fancy that.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

We rode up the day before the race, it's a brute especially when covered in cow muck. The cleaning team arrived about 2 hours before the pros arrived, as Elvis Costello sang, it was a good day for the roses.