Brake Squeal!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

samwise

Brake Squeal!

Post by samwise »

Hi All,

I've been battling to try an resolve some brake squealing on the rear brake of my Krampus. Running Shimano Deore, SLX rotors and some nukeproof organic pads.

I've followed some advice on line and sanded and cleaned up the rotor properly and installed fresh pads. Bedded them in properly and all seems good for a bit.

However, The following day the brakes are back to squealing. Straight from the garage you can tell and feel the vibration.

Calipers are aligned, rotor true and no visible leaking on the hoses etc.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm thinking maybe new rotor? Or maybe I haven't bedded everything in enough.....?

Cheers.
Sam
fatbikephil

Re: Brake Squeal!

Post by fatbikephil »

Organic pads = squealing brakes..... Use sintered metal, they only squeal when they are wet. It won't be disks.
also smear a bit of copper grease on the backing plates where they touch the pistons.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Or you have a micro-leak ont' calipers (which won't be visible). Can't be repaired sadly.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I tried everything the internet suggested they still squeal and i wasted days trying to stop it

I wish you better luck than I have had
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

htrider wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:41 pm Organic pads = squealing brakes..... Use sintered metal, they only squeal when they are wet.
Really? I've found the opposite (though organic pads will squeal in the wet too). New bike has sintered pads and the squeal is a bit annoying, was thinking of swapping to organic pads like I use on everything else, though they're as good at the bottom of long descents as they are at the top which is nice, and should last longer.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The only sintered pads I've had issues with were clark ones - I melted them on a long downhill and they made horrible noises thereafter. I tried filing them down but to no avail. Shimano, uber and fibrax ones all fine. I'm using floating disks which may make a difference I 'spose.
slarge

Post by slarge »

My SLX rear brake does that also. Convinced it’s a micro leak in the calliper that contaminates the pad overnight- no fix I am afraid
samwise

Post by samwise »

Thanks for the replies all!

Yep, I am now also convinced its a micro leak misting some mineral oil into the pads/rotor......new caliper time :roll:

I did also try sintered and organic pads and both had the same result.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Does sound like the micro-leak thing. I had it on my Deores. Tried all sorts but they were just ruining pads and discs so ended up chucking them and replacing with SRAM Guide Rs which I got reasonably priced. I've since read of someone successfully sorting them by taking the caliper apart and replacing the internal seal, which I would have at least had a go at.
samwise

Post by samwise »

thenorthwind wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:18 am I've since read of someone successfully sorting them by taking the caliper apart and replacing the internal seal, which I would have at least had a go at.
I might have a go when I have more time but deffo going for the replacement brake option for a trip starting on Friday :|