Coping with extended wet, cold conditions - hands and feet

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Coping with extended wet, cold conditions - hands and feet

Post by jameso »

Wet, cold hands/feet can be crippling. I know how bad it can start to get and that nothing can keep you dry indefinitely, but after being particularly badly frozen for most of an 8hr ride this winter and getting a reminder of how fast it can happen when unprepared today, I wonder what good 'in case' precautions there are.

If I expect bad weather I take spare layers, socks and gloves in a drybag, also use winter boots and waterproof gloves. I've done the garage forecourt gloves trick to back up merino liners under normal gloves and taken latex gloves on wet 100-mile road rides. I have wool socks and neoprene overshoes but I expect overshoes won't last long off-road / hike-a-biking.

So if you were packing light for a long ride that could be either hot or very wet at times, you could be at altitude and there could be snow-trudges in places (ie early-season Alpine conditions) - and once wet and cold you're in trouble, what would you take? Marigolds?
chris n

Re: Coping with extended wet, cold conditions - hands and fe

Post by chris n »

Not done any alpine stuff but for long distance, all conditions riding I use the following:
Hands: Extremities Paclite mittens with windproof fleece gloves that will fit over my normal riding gloves.
Feet: Sealskinz thin mid length socks with Bridgedale Coolmax liners.
Plus merino buff and woolly hat. Fits into a 1L Alpkit drybag.
Backcountrybiking

Post by Backcountrybiking »

Hey buddy
Personally i think you need to concentrate on the core, fueling yourself correctly both with food and fluids will help your extremities stay warm.

When we have trips and adventures I mostly wear sealskins or wooly socks and well draining trail shoes. carrying a spare set of seal skins or socks (drying to the best of my ability overnight)

Getting off your bike and doing something else when your hands and feet are cold helps to (when bicycle riding your hands and feet dont do much but get cold)

Eat well and you will be warm.

Andy
http://www.backcountrybiking.co.uk
UK distributor of Revelate designs gear, Alpacka rafts and Force ten tents and provider of bikepacking and packrafting skills training courses and adventures and Packraft hire
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yep - when your feet are cold it can often help to get off and push your bike for a while. I think Sealskinz socks are great but I've also got a pair of Gore socks that are much thinner and will usually fit over a normal thin sock inside your shoe boot. Wearing socks that are too thick can result in your show being too tight, restricting circulation and making your feet even colder.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

+1 for the Gore socks - they are great.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Cold, wet feet I can cope with (brain seems to shut off) but wet hands are a real problem. I'm fine on cold/frosty days but once it's raining I start to suffer ... Glacier gloves have been a real help this winter, maybe not the warmest but fully waterproof.

If things look really grim then I fit barmitts ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

Useful stuff.. thanks. I do have to get off and walk at times, either SS-defeated or to warm up the feet, it works. I think all the usual things like good base layers, eating well etc I do already (lessons learned from outdoor experience in general). I followed a few tips here and found buffalo / shell mitts and gore socks last night, that may be all I need - I do tend to 'make do' with kit, not ideal. Gore socks with wool liners.. :) and the cheap/light fan in me may try marigold over-gloves next time it rains, just need to find some XL ones in black..
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

+1 for bar mitts. A revelation!

P1050165 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr
Gari

Post by Gari »

Amen to the barmits, they make you look like a Dork but at least you will live to be embarrassed eh :lol:
I tried mine out on the ride home from Aviemore this winter on the fatbike, bare hands and had to take 'em off in the end as they were so effective!!