Paramo velez sizing

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Retiredtester

Paramo velez sizing

Post by Retiredtester »

Enthusiasm duly fired by all the talk of sweat free cycling on the wet weather gear thread, I was wondering how folk find the sizing of the paramo velez light? I'm 6ff, 14st with a 43 chest and their size guide says I'm a Large. I've also got comically long arms, so any advice on how they size up in this department would be very gratefully received. Ta.
Chrisps

Re: Paramo velez sizing

Post by Chrisps »

I can't comment on the Velez specifically, however I find Paramo tend to be relatively boxy in thte torso but slightly shorter in the body and arms than companies like Rab / ME / Haglofs. The only exception I have found to that is the Ciclo, which is actually quite trim and relatively long in the arms.

Paramo will tailor any of their coats to you - buy it anywhere - a shop, online, many years old from some bloke on eBay, and then download the garment alteration request: https://www.paramo-clothing.com/customerservice/#. Their customer service really is vaguely exciting, and they turn alterations around quite quick in my experience (I got some trousers brought in at the waist and substantially lengthened in the leg). Because I got them cheap from GoOutdoors, the total purchase + alteration price was still less than the RRP, and now I have perfectly fitting trousers!

My personal approach with buying Paramo is to either buy "my size" (e.g. I am normally M) and accept it will be a bit baggy and a tad short, or buy my size - 1 (e.g. S) and then send it away to be altered to be longer
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’m 6’2” 12 stone 40 chest. I’m in the medium Velez Adventure Light.
It’s not a tailored fit. Arms are an adequate length for cycling.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Thanks both. Great advice as ever from the boner hive mind. Sounds like a large is the way forward, with alterations as and if necessary.
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

I am 6’1” ish and built big and a stone heavier than you. I wear an XL. It is a bit boxy but I find the arms reasonably long enough. I wouldn’t be surprised if a large would fit you.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Thanks hamish
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I bought mine from Go Outdoors using click and collect with the understanding that if it didn’t fit I’d get it refunded
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I don't have a velez so can't comment specifically. But different items fit in differently annoyingly

I have a large Third Element, which I'd prefer was a medium but they're sadly discontinued. Shame, it's such a clever idea. But in a large the arms are very long, they're a very good length on me and I'm 6'3

If it's for cycling then the ciclo range might be better?
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Thanks. It's the fabric that the velez is made of that is the selling point for me - active pump or something? Not sure if any of their ciclo range are made of that?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Retiredtester wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:23 am Thanks. It's the fabric that the velez is made of that is the selling point for me - active pump or something? Not sure if any of their ciclo range are made of that?
From https://outdoorsmagic.com/article/param ... ght-smock/:
It’s the new fabric which is responsible for the weight saving, the pump liner, which works with the outer shell to make the system effectively wateproof, is identical to its heavier cousins as is the cut. All the weight is lost from the shell.
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

They all have some version of the pump liner. The Third Element (which I have) has the original "heavyweight" or "standard" (depending on how you look at it) pump liner. I *think* the Velez has that liner too, but the Velez light has their lightweight pumpliner (same as the Quito). This lightweight liner is just a lighter version of the standard one, but looks and feels the same.

The Ciclo (which I also have) has a radically lighter and different liner. Its almost like a mesh with big air holes in it. Doesn't feel that nice against the skin to be honest, but it is much lighter. It also seems to work just as well, as I have commuted to work in my Ciclo (1.5hrs) is dreadful conditions and have stayed dry. Like all Paramo gear, washing and re-proofing it is critical to keeping its performance going. But its not like Goretex where a reproof never really works that well. With Paramo, you can bring it back to pretty much new. I have a 25 year old hand-me-down Paramo Alta, and it still works just as well as the day it was bought.

The key is to do a "deep clean" on the jacket every year or so - so every year, my commuting Ciclo, I wash in strong detergent, then wash in techwash, then in the reproofer.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Thanks for such a comprehensive reply. As a seriously sweaty individual, I'm pretty sold on the lightweight pump liner, hence the velez light. I've tried gore shakedry and various others and just end up drenched from the inside out, but it sounds like the pump liner is made for people like me..
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

That's interesting - I have been considering Gore Shakedry myself, so interesting you find it really sweaty....

One thing I would say is that I find the light weight pump liner seems to breath slightly less well than the heavier weight version. Nothing scientific - could just be related to ambient temperature of when I wear the different weights.

When it isn't raining, I am reaching for the (massive) pit vents on my Ciclo quite quickly, and even when it is raining, I often leave them open a bit. It really is critical that you wear a good wicking layer under a Paramo. I'm considering trying one of their own baselayers (Cambia or something?) as I guess that is meant to work well with the system.

Overall though, with tweaking of venting and rolling sleeves up, I can generally stay a good temperature in a Paramo, just don't expect it to be some miracle worker!
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Chrisps wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:20 pm That's interesting - I have been considering Gore Shakedry myself, so interesting you find it really sweaty....

Overall though, with tweaking of venting and rolling sleeves up, I can generally stay a good temperature in a Paramo, just don't expect it to be some miracle worker!
As mentioned elsewhere, I am a super sweater, so my experiences with the shakedry may not apply to others. What I really dislike is the clamminess you get with garments like that once they're wet on the inside and, although I've never seen one in the flesh, the description others have given of the pump liner sounds a lot more comfortable. Quite a few others who also sweat a lot have said that the pump liner combined with a mesh style base layer (eg Brynje) is hard to beat, so that's what I'm planning on trying.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

FWIW I usually have used a Paramo Parameta T-shirt under my Velez and have had great results. The T-shirt is, like other Paramo stuff, relatively thick. It’s supposed to be reversible with different performance characteristics depending on which way around it is. In use I can’t tell any difference but the T-shirt is comfortable for long term wear and transmits sweat very well.
I just did 3 long days on Dartmoor in horrible rain. At the end of each day the shirt was dry, , so dry I didn’t feel the need to swap into the base layer I was carrying for sleep.
I’m expecting a Brynje string base layer to turn up this week and hope it will extend the use of the Velez into the warmer months to come.
WSC
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

:-bd Thanks for that - all very encouraging. Would you mind posting a quick review of the Brynje with the paramo when it turns up please?
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Sure, but I’m hoping that the never ending sunshine of summer will delay that somewhat :wink:
WSC
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

lune ranger wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:20 pm Sure, but I’m hoping that the never ending sunshine of summer will delay that somewhat :wink:
With you on that, brother!
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Managed to score a lightly used velez light in large for a whisker under 100 quid, and am hoping for great things!
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Nice. I’d recommend giving it a wash with soap or TechWash then treating it with TX Direct before using it.
WSC
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

lune ranger wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:14 am Nice. I’d recommend giving it a wash with soap or TechWash then treating it with TX Direct before using it.
Thanks, will do. Does the same advice apply if it looks clean and water still beads on the fabric? The seller claims he's only used it a couple of times.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Retiredtester wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:29 am
lune ranger wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:14 am Nice. I’d recommend giving it a wash with soap or TechWash then treating it with TX Direct before using it.
Thanks, will do. Does the same advice apply if it looks clean and water still beads on the fabric? The seller claims he's only used it a couple of times.
Probably not if it’s beading well. It certainly wouldn’t harm however. Unlike shell jackets Paramo doesn’t mind being washed (in soap or techwash)and reproofed as often as you like
WSC
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Nice one. Thanks for all the advice.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

My new (to me) velez turned up today and is a great fit, so thanks to all for your collective advice! Can't wait for some pissing rain to give it a go.
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

lune ranger wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:35 pm I’m expecting a Brynje string base layer to turn up this week and hope it will extend the use of the Velez into the warmer months to come.
Where did you buy that from? I too have been fancying trying one of these under my Paramos after reading about them on this forum. I can't find anywhere that isn't sold out though....
Retiredtester wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:23 pm My new (to me) velez turned up today and is a great fit, so thanks to all for your collective advice! Can't wait for some pissing rain to give it a go.
Enjoy :D