Are there any bikepacking events with "Motivational actors." ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richpips

Are there any bikepacking events with "Motivational actors." ?

Post by Richpips »

This came up on my Instagram feed from https://killthehill.cc/

It's a hill climb up Sa Calobra which is a must do climb.

Maybe we could get some for the Strath na Sealga crossing next year...

psling

Re: Are there any bikepacking events with "Motivational actors." ?

Post by psling »

I remember the Dyfi Enduro used to have a band, cheerleaders and various other entertainment along the way.

I also remember a singlespeed event (Drumlanrig if I remember rightly) where a young lad was holding a sign saying "you're all doing really well" as we slogged up a fireroad climb only to spin it round as you approached. On the back was written "except you"!! Made me smile :grin:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

I’ve been chased by a gorilla in the woods at Eastnor during MM, and there’s that devil bloke at some road race in France. Dunno about bikepacking events though :lol:
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I’ve been chased by a gorilla in the woods at Eastnor during MM
Ah yes I remember that.

Also Shaggy handing out Tequila shots at one of the 24hr events at the bottom of some horrific climb.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

We had Elvis Presley one year at the Colne Valley Mountain Bike Challenge. Sadly the quarry is now totally off limits it appears...
jameso

Post by jameso »

The Torino-Nice has one, unofficially - that chap who sits halfway up the Madone playing the drums in a TDF king of the mountains jersey :grin:
I also remember a singlespeed event (Drumlanrig if I remember rightly) where a young lad was holding a sign saying "you're all doing really well" as we slogged up a fireroad climb only to spin it round as you approached. On the back was written "except you"!! Made me smile :grin:
Ha... That's good. >90pc of singlespeeders are motivational actors of some sort anyway, right?
Scud

Post by Scud »

Dusk to Dawn in Thetford used to play mind tricks in the night, seen glow in the dark ducks added to puddles and a bloke sat on a toilet in the woods.

Gorrick 12:12 at Minley would have a full on disco under the bridge as you passed through, almost crashed trying to dance on bike with both arms in the air!

Remember climb on Dragon Devil in Wales too, with someone with a sign saying "you suck"

But favourite encouragement has to be the banner on London Marathon with "Never trust a fart after 20 miles"!
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I’ve heard the Breck Epic in Colorado has a whiskey and bacon stop. A shot of whiskey and some American (i.e. disappointing streaky) bacon to replenish your salt and alcohol levels
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Anyone who has run The Grizzly will understand the motivational actors
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Do they still hold The Grizzly? Back in 2000/2001 I worked with a lad who had come 2nd twice, it sounded absolutely terrible back then... these days I'd be interested in running it, never thought I'd say that :o
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

There's a local mountainbike ride/race that's 100km through the Priorat wine region, there are 3 food stops, the last of which has a very quaffable red as part of the range of food and drink on offer. Pity it's at the foot of a huge climb with a rocky downhill straight after. It's very popular, the edition I did had 3,000 participants.
Re the original post, Sa Calobra is one of my absolute favourites, done it many times. You stand at the top and it looks as though someone has thrown a string of spaghetti down the hill into the sea. The only road I know with a 270° bend where the road goes back over itself to gain height.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Not bikepacking, but Ride to the Sun (the Carlisle to Cramond one, not Stu's) has a piper at the top of the Devil's Beeftub (presumably to discourage you from stopping at the top :wink: ), and a man dressed as Bananaman handing out bananas at the halfway rave.
substandard

Post by substandard »

The 24:12 events down in Newnham park have always had motivational heroes to keep people going through the small hours,

I also vaguely remember someone in a chicken suit at the dirty reiver forcing people down the 200km route at the split and throwing bananas around! It’s was all a bit of a blur to be honest as I’d gone off too quick as usual
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

The first Perth Enduro had someone on a trumpet at the top of the first big climb. Lots of star wars themes etc. Lots of competitors dressed up too, felt slightly disturbed following a rider dressed as Franknfurter from Rocky Horror down a steep muddy chute!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not bikepacking, but Ride to the Sun (the Carlisle to Cramond one, not Stu's)
No, we just have p1ss artists and comedians on hand :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

thenorthwind wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:31 pm Not bikepacking, but Ride to the Sun (the Carlisle to Cramond one, not Stu's) has a piper at the top of the Devil's Beeftub (presumably to discourage you from stopping at the top :wink: ), and a man dressed as Bananaman handing out bananas at the halfway rave.
Really want to do this ride. Might hop on the train this year/June if I can persuade anyone along.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Hit the North had a 4 or 5 piece band at the top of a climb and a digeridoo player in the woods
HUX

Post by HUX »

Years ago on the old Marin Rough Ride there was a brass band on top of Hergest Ridge. I thought I was going mad hearing it in the distance :lol:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

sean_iow wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:12 pm Do they still hold The Grizzly? Back in 2000/2001 I worked with a lad who had come 2nd twice, it sounded absolutely terrible back then... these days I'd be interested in running it, never thought I'd say that :o
They do. I’ve done it twice. Just don’t
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

There was a disco going on, and a pretty sizeable length of Christmas lights, at the top of the fireroad climb at Strathpuffer last year. I think there was another near the finish too?
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Although a road ride, the Ardechoise finishes on a climb with 6 hairpins, when I rode it each bend had a band. The ride itself has a shed load of road closures which means lots of villages that are stuck for the day. Rather that get annoyed they have a party instead. It's the only sportiv I've ridden where every village has bands playing and tables of bread, meat, cheese etc laid out waiting for riders, if you don't gain weight you've not done it properly.

A link https://www.ardechoise.com/

I should add, it's the biggest sportiv with around 14,000 riders. Pro tip: foreigners can slip up the side of the everyone at the start and get away first.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

jameso wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:22 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:31 pm Not bikepacking, but Ride to the Sun (the Carlisle to Cramond one, not Stu's) has a piper at the top of the Devil's Beeftub (presumably to discourage you from stopping at the top :wink: ), and a man dressed as Bananaman handing out bananas at the halfway rave.
Really want to do this ride. Might hop on the train this year/June if I can persuade anyone along.
Do it. Done a couple of times and it's great. Not sure it would be so much fun if the weather was crap mind. I'd do it again this year if the Moors 100 and Jennride weren't ahead of it in the queue.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

sean_iow wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:12 pm Do they still hold The Grizzly? Back in 2000/2001 I worked with a lad who had come 2nd twice, it sounded absolutely terrible back then... these days I'd be interested in running it, never thought I'd say that :o
Are you referring to Dan Savage Sean?
One heck of trail runner.
ton

Post by ton »

Real ale wobble in wales was pretty epic in the early days. Gordon was a character.

ss event at NYM was ace too. few beer and whiskey locations on the route.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Jurassic pusher wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:59 pm Are you referring to Dan Savage Sean?
One heck of trail runner.
That's the guy, and pretty handy on the road as well, I think he ran a 2hr 35min London the year I was working with him. I've not seen him in 20 years.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger