Quilts.... again

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

methers27

Quilts.... again

Post by methers27 »

I have got a few questions about quilts and was hoping that the hive mind might be able to offer me some clarity. I've been looking for a good 3 season quilt for a while, I have a lightweight down quilt which I can use on its own on a very warm evening, or can be used to supplement this new quilt to boost it in the middle of winter. I was originally looking for a synthetic quilt as I was concerned by the prospect of damp UK conditions and down. However, having read a number of threads on here, I am now considering a cumulus down quilt. I'm neither a particularly warm nor cold sleeper. so my questions are:

Would a cumulus 250 or 350 quilt suit better for the above usage? and does anybody know where I may be able to find a cumulus quilt in the UK? everywhere seems to be sold out (I blame Brexit of course) and ordering direct from cumulus is looking quite expensive. (yes, this may be a not so subtle wanted ad)

I also notice that cumulus do the Taiga quilts, these are supposedly hammock specific, but are cheaper it seems than the normal quilt equivalent, any ideas what the real-world difference of vertical top baffles would be?
kvragu

Re: Quilts.... again

Post by kvragu »

There will be plenty praise for the quilt and probably the taiga line (probably add some width for the taigas), but don't knock the comforters. They're maybe a bit fiddly and potentially drafty, but also lighter and cheaper.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll readily use my 350 throughout the year and have no complaints. I sleep pretty cold BTW. However, recently I've found myself using my Sierra Designs quilt. The newer model is called 'The Nitro'. They're roomier than a Cumulus, have a 'hood' and plenty warm enough. 0 degree model for £250 with UK stock.
https://wildbounds.com/collections/sier ... 20-f-quilt
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Cumulus changed the design of their quilts a couple of years ago, they are quite a bit wider now.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

whitestone wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:36 pm Cumulus changed the design of their quilts a couple of years ago, they are quite a bit wider now.
IIRC, when I rush purchased my Cumulus just before Brexit, the C was wider and the Taiga, for hammocks, narrower. It makes sense to have a narrower hammock top quilt as the under quilt will wrap up, around the sides and any part of the TQ that is sandwiched at your sides, between body and hammock fabric, will be compressed, therefore little insulation.

I've always avoided hammock "specific" TQ as, given the cost, I'd rather have a TQ that can do hanging and ground. Plus, I'm short and broad (take your pick - gut or shoulders). Consequently wide quilts are my preference. My Cumulus 250 (probably latest design) is nice and wide and I've not been cold in it so far though I bought it to be used 1 to 2 seasons rather than well into 3. If I was buying one to do the latter I'd go for at least a 350.

I've looked at Sierra Designs stuff before and been intrigued. Must. Not. Buy. Another. Quilt. :lol:
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Alpkit have their cloudbase ones in stock at £99? https://alpkit.com/products/cloud-cover-down-quilt
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

yourguitarhero wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:16 pm Alpkit have their cloudbase ones in stock at £99? https://alpkit.com/products/cloud-cover-down-quilt
Not a fan, personally. Not a 3 season option either (unless you're 'ard as nails :lol:). If it works for you though - :-bd
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I figured he could use the two quilts together?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

yourguitarhero wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:45 pm I figured he could use the two quilts together?
Certainly a possibility. On re-reading I'm not sure what the OP wants now :lol:

Bit too much faff for my liking (two slippery pertex layers) but again, HYOH :cool:

Ukhammocks (of old) touted a system of two quilts (a summer and autumn) that could be connected together to be a winter one. I wonder if anyone ever got one ......
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I’ve got a UK Hammocks ‘summer’ quilt that I’ve used, with a down jacket and base layers, well below freezing without suffering. No experience of the autumn/summer combo, though.

In the OP’s position I’d go for the Cumulus 350 or equivalent.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I have the same UKH quilt too in "coyote brown" ie the golden condom. I think Mat used to overstuff them a bit. Never been cold in it :cool:
methers27

Post by methers27 »

Certainly a possibility. On re-reading I'm not sure what the OP wants now :lol:
Sorry if i was a little unclear, looking for a quilt that can do me from spring to autumn, i'll then use my thin current quilt to boost the new quilt over winter.
Alpkit have their cloudbase ones in stock at £99? https://alpkit.com/products/cloud-cover-down-quilt
Thanks for the suggestion, not sure the cloud cover is quite what i'm after though
IIRC, when I rush purchased my Cumulus just before Brexit, the C was wider and the Taiga, for hammocks, narrower. It makes sense to have a narrower hammock top quilt as the under quilt will wrap up, around the sides and any part of the TQ that is sandwiched at your sides, between body and hammock fabric, will be compressed, therefore little insulation.
Very useful, sounds like the Tagia won't be quite the right one then, thank you
I'll readily use my 350 throughout the year and have no complaints. I sleep pretty cold BTW. However, recently I've found myself using my Sierra Designs quilt. The newer model is called 'The Nitro'. They're roomier than a Cumulus, have a 'hood' and plenty warm enough. 0 degree model for £250 with UK stock.
https://wildbounds.com/collections/sier ... 20-f-quilt
Sounds like the 350 might be just what i'm after then (anyone know where i might get one? :lol: ). will also take a look at ukhammoks and sierrra designs though, thanks
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

The Ukhammocks we've mentioned doesn't exist (run by a bloke called Mat). Towards the end of that enterprise service became slim to non-existent. If you come across some fairly negative comments from several years ago they relate to that.

The "business" was bought by someone else who was continuing to make the hammocks. Last time I looked they weren't doing the TQ etc. So, no damn use :wink:

UK quilt manufacturers seem to be few and far between. Always strikes me as odd but maybe they're not as popular in the "mainstream".
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

There is a UK company that produces synthetic quilts - name escapes me at present but I'll do some thinking.

EDIT: Ooh that was quick. Sometimes I surprise myself. They do 2, a classic quilt and an over quilt both use Apex for insulation which is about as good as synthetic gets.

Classic: https://valleyandpeak.co.uk/brands/vall ... sic-quilt/

Over: https://valleyandpeak.co.uk/brands/vall ... o-measure/
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Sounds like the 350 might be just what i'm after then (anyone know where i might get one? :lol: )
Not mine, and I don't know if it's still available, but:
https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/363670/
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Sorry if i was a little unclear, looking for a quilt that can do me from spring to autumn, i'll then use my thin current quilt to boost the new quilt over winter.
Either the 250 or 350 should do (or similar from other manufacturers). My wife has the (old style) 350 and it's very warm. Enlightened Equipment have a blog page about layering quilts - https://support.enlightenedequipment.co ... t-Layering, being American it's in Fahrenheit but a rough guide to working out the effective temp (in degrees C) rating of two quilts/bags is:

Temp rating of first bag - (20 - temp rating of second bag)

That will give you a starting point, adjust as required based on how you know you relate to the given ratings. Obviously use the same rating for both bags, don't use the limit from one and the comfort from the other. For me I find that the above formula is within a degree or so.

One point made in that blog is that whatever you have as the outer should be a bigger size to avoid compressing the inner bag/quilt and possibly synthetic to deal with the dew point.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:32 am There is a UK company that produces synthetic quilts - name escapes me at present but I'll do some thinking.

EDIT: Ooh that was quick. Sometimes I surprise myself. They do 2, a classic quilt and an over quilt both use Apex for insulation which is about as good as synthetic gets.

Classic: https://valleyandpeak.co.uk/brands/vall ... sic-quilt/

Over: https://valleyandpeak.co.uk/brands/vall ... o-measure/
Anyone have any experience of these?
I’m very tempted to go back to synthetic.
I have a lovely EE down quilt- my first item of down gear - but I constantly (Rightly or wrongly) worry about it getting wet. Was going to go back to EE but a UK supplier probably makes much more sense.
With a synthetic quilt I can go back to using the Gatewood with just a small ground cloth and forget about a bivi/cover.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
methers27

Post by methers27 »

The Ukhammocks we've mentioned doesn't exist (run by a bloke called Mat). Towards the end of that enterprise service became slim to non-existent. If you come across some fairly negative comments from several years ago they relate to that.
Well that's one less option on the table at least
There is a UK company that produces synthetic quilts - name escapes me at present but I'll do some thinking.
haha, and I thought I'd just ruled out synthetic quilts, initially, i was looking for synthetic to not have to worry about damp conditions, but decided the packability of down was better and that I could just be more careful. Now I'm doubting this decision :???:
Not mine, and I don't know if it's still available, but:
https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/363670/
thank you, I'll get in contact with the seller
rough guide to working out the effective temp (in degrees C) rating of two quilts/bags is:

Temp rating of first bag - (20 - temp rating of second bag)
That's very useful, reassures me that my two quilt method should work, good point about possibly wanting synthetic on the outer. If only they were more packable

Considering sleep set up as a full system, I am also looking at my pad. I currently have a neo-air self-inflating mat, but it's probably not warm enough for the colder months. I've read on here about the exped mats, but was just wondering if the synmat UL was warm enough for UK year-round? or is the winter version a better idea for a little extra weight
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

methers27 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:26 pm Considering sleep set up as a full system, I am also looking at my pad. I currently have a neo-air self-inflating mat, but it's probably not warm enough for the colder months. I've read on here about the exped mats, but was just wondering if the synmat UL was warm enough for UK year-round? or is the winter version a better idea for a little extra weight
My wife's used the Synmat Hyperlite at -16C with no problems so should be good for most UK conditions. One point is that they are fairly narrow so one of the wide versions might be in order if you are "ahem" larger.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I use a Neoair X lite year round. Been down to about -8ish without a problem.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I use my Neoair in winter happily but it's an XTherm. I sleep cold. My 0C EE quilt would be OK for me at that temp, just. There's a risk of me being cold then. But as it's a quilt, it'll cope with being a lot warmer. Slept in my van the other night, temp was about 10-12C at a guess. Lovely, I just open it out
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Piggypacking... I've noticed that certain quilt materials stick to me in the night, which means that I get sweaty, which means that I get cold (no matter what the temperature).

Can anyone recommend some sort of super thin / light / packable sheet that I can put between me and the quilt? It doesn't need to do anything other than stop me sticking to the quilt material.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

methers27 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:26 pmI also notice that cumulus do the Taiga quilts, these are supposedly hammock specific
My quilt is a Taiga. I've only used it once on the ground when I forgot my tree huggers and it was a miserable experience. In a hammock, I pretty much sleep still (apart from a bit of jiggling when I wake myself with my own snoring) But that one time I slept on the ground it was simply too narrow and despite doing up the clasp at the neck I was fighting drafts all night. Not an issue when you're swinging, where the sides of the hammock do keep it nicely tucked in. TBH if I was doing it all again I'd just get a regular one, wide/long.

So. No. Don't get a Taiga if you're not ever never gonna use it in a hammock.

OEMYOF
I'm just going outside ...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

but was just wondering if the synmat UL was warm enough for UK year-round? or is the winter version a better idea for a little extra weight
I used a UL7 for years with a quilt in all conditions and never had a problem with insulation.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It's a UL7 I use too. Works for me in all UK conditions.