Automatic Crash Reporting

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Automatic Crash Reporting

Post by Boab »

I've been thinking about this for a while, yesterday's ditch diving episode has only made me think about it more. I like riding on my own, and while I use the Strava Beacon feature, it's no good to me if I can't get back to my phone to call for help. So I'd like some sort of automatic crash reporting device, so in the event of an accident that leaves me incapable to calling for help, a call will be made for me.

The currently focus of my attention is the Specialzed ANGi helmet device. Mainly as there's a 30s time delay before the emergency call goes out, and it integrates with Wahoo devices; so I wouldn't even need to dig out my phone. Coupled with a ICE ID NFC sticker, this would hopefully cover me slightly better than I am at the moment.

I know there's another brand that does something similar, but for the life of me I can't remember who they are, or find them by searching. I know POC do a helmet with a built in NFC ID chip, but it doesn't appear to do crash reporting, although a stand-alone ANGi device would sort that.

Just wondering if anyone actually uses this kind of thing? How easy are they to use and have you had to use one for real...?

Are there any other devices I should consider?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ScotRoutes

Re: Automatic Crash Reporting

Post by ScotRoutes »

My Garmin watch (VivoActive 4) has an incident detection/reporting function. I've not set it up though.

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=R ... 7pVFLsuUmA
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I use a Garmin Edge Explore and it has a incident detection feature but unless you're on billiard table smooth tarmac it activates. Certainly not suitable for off road. https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp ... BA965.html
As the unit cost £150, I wasn't expecting much which was exactly what I got.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How do all these devices actually work. Do they detect impact or a length of time with no movement? Either way, I'd be setting them off willy nilly.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:20 pm How do all these devices actually work. Do they detect impact or a length of time with no movement?
https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=R ... 7pVFLsuUmA
touch

Post by touch »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:20 pm How do all these devices actually work. Do they detect impact or a length of time with no movement? Either way, I'd be setting them off willy nilly.
I think it's a mixture of both for Garmin Edge devices: detecting an impact or sudden deceleration followed by no movement for a while. It does trigger accidentally now and then but you get 30 seconds to cancel the alert before it sends to your emergency contact.

It sends messages via your phone so it won't work if you dont have phone signal.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Having read the Garmin Support page that Colin linked to, it's strange that it doesn't work with Apps from their IQ feature. This means it won't activate if you're using Wikiloc or Komoot, wonder why?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

pistonbroke wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:56 pm Having read the Garmin Support page that Colin linked to, it's strange that it doesn't work with Apps from their IQ feature. This means it won't activate if you're using Wikiloc or Komoot, wonder why?
I read it that it only works with Activity types supplied by Garmin. For instance, I've installed a "Open Water Swimming" activity type via IQ to use instead of Ride, Walk, Swim etc. (Excusing for the moment that I'm unlikely to crash into anything while Open Water Swimming) I think they're just saying that crash detection won't work with that. A track/route downloaded from Komoot via IQ wouldn't affect the Activity type being recorded.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Probably not what you're looking for, but came to my mind:

https://www.protegear.de/english/protegear-smartsafety/

Pair their solutions with eg an InReach Mini and become invincible :wink:

I've never used it nor wanted it (dead man switch, crash detection etc.), but have great experience with other services of Protegear and the functionality of the InReach Mini.
Works by Iridium sat comm, so no phone signal required.

P.s.: the protegear site seems confusing for some, if you're interested, you'll have to read into it.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Yeah, I freaked out my missus the first time I had the accident detection turned on when I got the Garmin edge explore - it sent her an alert when I lifted my bike over a gate :lol:

I’ve turned the feature off now.
BenS

Post by BenS »

On the Edge 530 I thought the crash detection only worked in road bike mode and is turned off in mountain bike mode.

I have a forerunner watch that has the incident detection when mountain biking. It will trigger on steep / fast / rocky downhills that require me to stop to open a gate. It’s almost become a learned behaviour now to stop at gate, check watch hasn’t gone to defcon 5 etc. If I’m out for 5-6 hours round the Peaks I might have 1 activation. It’s a bit of a pain but I like the idea that if I screw up again someone would be notified.

Watch also pairs to my Inreach and would trigger the alert through there.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Is this not another opportunity for a load of false alarms to go to the emergency services? No matter how much tech they throw at a system its still going to be chronically un-reliable given what happens on your average mountain bike ride (bike falls over, back hits tree, rider trips over feet whilst pushing etc. etc.) If you are sensible you may be able to identify a false alarm and cancel it but for many out their I can see ambulances / MRT chasing around looking for non-existent casualties.
Boab

Post by Boab »

I could do with a new helmet anyway, which was the reason for considering ANGi, and whatever the other one is. The comments on the Specialized website, seem to indicated similar issues to the comments on here, about the sensitivity of the Garmin solution. One would hope that I'd notice the countdown on my Wahoo and cancel, I'd also hope that it would just send an alert to my specified contacts, rather than 999.

I think a satellite communication device is probably a bit overkill for charging around East Angular, maybe if I was going remote, or on longer trips...

I shall have a ponder, thanks for all the thoughts, much appreciated.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yeah, I tend to agree with you Phil. I know accidents happen and things go wrong but I suppose I've always just excepted that they're part of life. One day I'll die - might be tomorrow or might be in 30 years. It's all an adventure :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Having it on a watch rather then bike mounted might be the better option. I must set mine up to play around with it.
Boab

Post by Boab »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:26 pm Having it on a watch rather then bike mounted might be the better option.
True, but then I'd have to buy, and wear, a watch...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

True. I managed to avoid that for about 30 years 😁

I was more meaning for my own research purposes.