cycle/hiking shoe suggestions

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

bluebus200

cycle/hiking shoe suggestions

Post by bluebus200 »

hi all.....im looking for shoe suggestions..

after a recent multi day trip using flat pedals and a pair of approach shoes i am totally converted. the ability to trek comfortably, walk around towns without clopping like a horse and more importantly scramble up hills with a bike on my shoulder was great. the shoes i used (sportiva boulder x) were great but perhaps a little unsensitive on the peddle and i need to replace them anyway. so im wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

i have already tried on; sportiva tx 4, five ten guide tennies, and scarpa crux. all of which didnt fit quite right! i have a fairly narrow heel but wide forfoot, which is a total pain in the arse when im looking for shoes!

if anyone has any suggestions of an approach shoe/ trail runner/ walking shoe that they find stiff enough for cycling id be interested to hear about them.

cheers
ScotRoutes

Re: cycle/hiking shoe suggestions

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have that shape of foot and struggled for years to get boots that didn't give me blistered heels. In my search I discovered Salomon and haven't looked back since.

The North Face seem to use a similar last.
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:04 am I have that shape of foot and struggled for years to get boots that didn't give me blistered heels. In my search I discovered Salomon and haven't looked back since.

The North Face seem to use a similar last.
its a nightmare right!! i was in go outdoors yesterday and must have tried on pretty much every shoe. all of them either too long or too thin! I find trail runners to often be the best fit but they are too soft or wrong tread for cycling any distance. have to say that for fit ON runners are the dogs bollocks but the tread patterns are useless for flat pedals.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

bluebus200 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:21 am I find trail runners to often be the best fit but they are too soft or wrong tread for cycling any distance. have to say that for fit ON runners are the dogs bollocks but the tread patterns are useless for flat pedals.
I have some Salomon Speedcross that I bought mainly for biking with hike-a-bike. They were the about the stiffest I found in the trail running section(I went to a running shop and tried bending all the shoes). The tread isn't ideal as you say. I wonder if you could trim some of the lugs though.
ton

Post by ton »

i am a big fan of Keen Targee shoes. i have 3 x pairs. perfect for walks, hikes and bikes.

https://www.keenfootwear.com/en-gb/p/M- ... arghee_all
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Five Ten approach shoes (Guide Tennie ankle high). Were amazing for the 2 years they lasted.

The arcetryx walking boots ankle high (got em cheap for £100) did me about a year and lovely to ride and walk in. Bit light so don't expect much more than a year or so of proper pedalling out of em (the sole still looks brandnew but everything else has almost all delaminated... but I could walk/bike in em for over 24 hours without feet hurting :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

NB. Been using the shimano mw5 and walking is so crap in em. Hence I'll be watching this thread closely to see whats on offer... thanks
HUX

Post by HUX »

Pearl Izumi......I've just ordered another pair of these. Pair I've got now are over 3years old and still goin strong. Most comfortable shoes I've ever had. Like trainers but with cleats and this version has a vibram sole. They are sized small though so go up a size.

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/pr ... id/2247524
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

As above - if the last is the wrong shape then the shoe is pretty useless. The only way to find out is, of course, to try them on. Thing is, it often only becomes apparent after a few miles of use, at which point they can't be returned.
trogladytes

Post by trogladytes »

Some shoes are advertised as having a wide toe box, Merrell do some, that i found by googling 'trail shoes with a wide toe box' but i haven't cycled in any of them as i got the bearfoot ones that are thin soled.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Salomon goretex boots were good but only lasted a year before a hole appeared on the fabric where my big toe flexed. Might just be my feet though.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

I’ve got these which are a fair bit stiffer than my Five Tennies

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/asi ... ku-asi8921

Nice and grippy with my Hope flats
techno

Post by techno »

bluebus200 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:01 am i have a fairly narrow heel but wide forfoot, which is a total pain in the arse when im looking for shoes!
I'm very flat footed and wide toed and have found the adidas Terrex Trail Cross to be perfect.
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:38 pm NB. Been using the shimano mw5 and walking is so crap in em. Hence I'll be watching this thread closely to see whats on offer... thanks
i can tell you what ive discovered so far...check some of these out...

la sportiva tx 4;
really comfy shoes, great for wide feet. didn't work for me as the length wasn't quite right. had they worked they would have been the perfect shoe. they get great reviews for trekking and the outer looked perfect for flat pedals. they are sized big, Im an 8.5 and i could pretty much get in an 8.

Scarpa crux:
same as above really. comfy shoe but the 9 was too big and the 8 was too thin. if it fits it would be great. perfect outer for flats and tough construction.

5/10 Guide Tennies:
Another comfy shoe with a great outer for flats but too narrow for wide feet

ON cloud swift:
bit of a wildcard fit perfectly, just a little unsure of the flexibility. the outsole look good for flats. they would for sure be good for walking

On Stratos:
same as the swift. perfect fit, out of the box comfort. much more rugged outsole and a bit stiffer. good flat area for pedals. would be great for trekking....likely i will get these but im going to try the salomon x ultra and xa pro first..
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

Tomwoodbury wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:17 pm I’ve got these which are a fair bit stiffer than my Five Tennies

they look worth a go....would you say you have a wide foot? how are they for size??
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

trogladytes wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:14 pm Some shoes are advertised as having a wide toe box, Merrell do some, that i found by googling 'trail shoes with a wide toe box' but i haven't cycled in any of them as i got the bearfoot ones that are thin soled.
Sportiva tx 4 have a nice fit for wide toes...the climbing shoe type lacing means you can really dial in the fit..they were just a bit too long for me.
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

HUX wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:54 pm Pearl Izumi......I've just ordered another pair of these. Pair I've got now are over 3years old and still goin strong. Most comfortable shoes I've ever had. Like trainers but with cleats and this version has a vibram sole. They are sized small though so go up a size.

they look nice! how are they for width? would you go out for a 3 mile hike in them?
HUX

Post by HUX »

A 3 mile hike?!! Theyve done the HT550 so significantly more than 3 miles of hiking :lol: :lol: with zero issues. I've got wide feet and they fit me really well. You could try them and return them if not suitable. I've ordered a 43 and a 44 just incase the sizing has changed
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

bluebus200 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:23 pm
Tomwoodbury wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:17 pm I’ve got these which are a fair bit stiffer than my Five Tennies

they look worth a go....would you say you have a wide foot? how are they for size??
I am an 8.5 and i sized up one size and they fit nicely. I have VERY flat feet so need a wide fit and these are fine
TvH

Post by TvH »

The most comfortable shoes I've ever used for tours and mountain biking are Evolv Cruzers, which have no support whatsoever, so maybe don't focus too much on stiffness if you have decently large flat pedals.

5 days in the Highlands the other weekend I was served very well by a pair of waterproof Palladium Pampa Recycle boots. The high top was invaluable for stepping in endless bogs. They have quite a low volume toe box but they broke in ok for me over a few days beforehand, despite having slightly wider than average feet and I was very comfy, if on the warm side. Not one for thick socks.

A companion had some Topo running shoes which have a very wide, open forefoot indeed and she was very happy also. Another friend swears by Innov8.

I've not yet found my personal holy grail of nearly flat tread, sensitive, lightweight, fast drying, doesn't-look-awful, but La Sportiva TX2 is on the list to try
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

HUX wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:54 pm Pearl Izumi......I've just ordered another pair of these. Pair I've got now are over 3years old and still goin strong. Most comfortable shoes I've ever had. Like trainers but with cleats and this version has a vibram sole. They are sized small though so go up a size.

Cheers for the heads up, look vaguely similar to the Shimano ME7 I'm currently using and would be good to have another pair.

Hux - out of interest, what size are you in "regular" (and or Shimano) and what size did you order?
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I got on well with these for a couple of years.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-wat ... R-p-302348

Waterproofing seemed to work well (though they inevitably act like buckets if water gets in from the top, I find ankle gaiters really help with this). Toe box is roomy, I've got pretty flat/wide feet, not sure about narrow heels (though I have needed heel grips in the past?).
Sole worked pretty well on my Nukeproof Neutron pedals. Not as grippy as my 5:10 Impacts, but definitely acceptable, and way grippier for hiking up loamy slopes.
HUX

Post by HUX »

I'm usually a 43 in everything but my current Pearl izumi are a 44. I've just ordered a 43 and a 44 just incase the sizing is different.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

HUX wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:55 pm I'm usually a 43 in everything but my current Pearl izumi are a 44. I've just ordered a 43 and a 44 just incase the sizing is different.
Muchos gracias señor.
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

trogladytes wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:14 pm Some shoes are advertised as having a wide toe box, Merrell do some, that i found by googling 'trail shoes with a wide toe box' but i haven't cycled in any of them as i got the bearfoot ones that are thin soled.
Another vote for Merrell I also use the barefoot trail gloves and their walking shoes for riding. 1 year in on the walking shoes and apart from looking very grubby are in excellent condition. Sole works well with flat pedals and are super comfy to walk in. Plenty room in the toe box and good snug fit in the heal area.
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.