Harnesses that play nice with a Jones bar

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Tomwoodbury

Harnesses that play nice with a Jones bar

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Hello. Can I ask what people are doing in this regard? Seems to me that the ideal option for a roll / harness for the Jones bar would be to have 4 straps to secure to the upper / lower part of the loop. Not many manufacturers show photos of their bags with loop bars - wildcat do but I’m really put off by the fork straps.

Cheers
ScotRoutes

Re: Harnesses that play nice with a Jones bar

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've used my Revelate Harness with Loops, but just in the normal position. It does create a little "pocket" in the loop that I've used for stashing a waterproof jacket.

The Revelate Sweetroll has 4 attachment points, but that's a bag rather than a harness.

TBH the best arrangement I've seen is a Revelate Saltyroll and two Voile straps - round the bag, over the near bar, through the ladder on the bag, over the front bar.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

A bag that secures to both bits is the ideal situation, I've modified an Apidura bag to have 4 attachment points. I've also made my own harness to mount the same way.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16397&p=205376&hil ... ss#p205376

I've recollections of a commercial one but can't remember if it was a harness or a bag.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

One of the best things about the loop for my money is that if you attach a bag to both sides it's rock solid. I just use an alpkit drybag with the stock straps around the loops. More faff than a harness but I tend to just put sleeping kit in the bar bag.
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

I've got the Alpkit harness, but find I don't need it with the Jones bars.
May satan walk with you
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Thanks all.

I’m open to a roll type all in one so the sweet roll is appealing although there is no uk stock and I need it for early June.

It’s for carrying a sleeping bag primarily as my bag takes up almost all of my Carradice saddle bag.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Tomwoodbury wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:57 pm Thanks all.

I’m open to a roll type all in one so the sweet roll is appealing although there is no uk stock and I need it for early June.
Hmm. If only there was someone on this very forum with one in their "spares" pile... :wink:
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I’ve made my own harness with four attachment points. It also has a strap that runs from the bottom edge of the harness up to and around the front loop of the bar and back down for extra rock-solidity.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

@Scotroutes thanks I take the hint! Will post on ads now
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:29 pm
Tomwoodbury wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:57 pm Thanks all.

Hmm. If only there was someone on this very forum with one in their "spares" pile... :wink:
Whose that then, mine is getting a bit threadbare :grin:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Tomwoodbury wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:02 pm @Scotroutes thanks I take the hint! Will post on ads now
I'll get some photos and think about a price.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

Tomwoodbury wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:44 am Hello. Can I ask what people are doing in this regard? Seems to me that the ideal option for a roll / harness for the Jones bar would be to have 4 straps to secure to the upper / lower part of the loop. Not many manufacturers show photos of their bags with loop bars - wildcat do but I’m really put off by the fork straps.

Cheers
What puts you off the fork straps?
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

My Wildcat fits a treat with my loops.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Re: forks it’s the fact my Brother Big Bro has a unicrown fork and I can see the straps slipping up up the fork as the crown is curved.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

Re: forks it’s the fact my Brother Big Bro has a unicrown fork and I can see the straps slipping up up the fork as the crown is curved.
I'm not sure that's an issue. I use a Lion harness on forks like these without any issues at all.

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've a set of carbon forks - the Wildcat harness straps find their own angle in the top curve of the crown. It's never been a problem. Similarly on my wife's Stooge.

An alternative for small to medium sized bags might be a DrJ0n Strapdeck.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
TvH

Post by TvH »

Is it not annoying to lose the front loop hand position when attaching bags as suggested? I don't have Jones bars but that's how I always see it done and it seems weird to me.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yeah, I've never had any issue with straps on the forks either and I'll add that their addition makes for a rock solid pack ... like really big heavy rocks that you could only move with this.

May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

TvH wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:38 am Is it not annoying to lose the front loop hand position when attaching bags as suggested? I don't have Jones bars but that's how I always see it done and it seems weird to me.
When I'm using the front position I don't grip the bar, I just rest my hands on top of the bar so it's still usable with the bag on. Usually if I'm using another position it's to vary my hand position and get a rest from gripping and so I just have my hands flat across the top of both bars just inboard of where the loop attaches.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

TvH wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:38 am Is it not annoying to lose the front loop hand position when attaching bags as suggested? I don't have Jones bars but that's how I always see it done and it seems weird to me.
I attach mine to the rear of the loop.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

I think they work better attached to the rear loop fwiw.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Taylor wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:10 pm My Wildcat fits a treat with my loops.
Seconded
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

I’ll revisit the Wildcat option!

Cheers
mikedeber

Post by mikedeber »

I use the Straight Cut harness with loop bars and a unicrown fork. It holds a drybag with sleeping kit etc, it's very secure.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I found with my wildcat harness that the straps rubbed against the lower headset cup, and any bag in it rubbed against the head tube, likely due to me using a 50mm stem. I bolted on one of those Ortleib light bars onto the fork crown - just a plastic bar spaced out about an inch - and attached the lower straps to this. This gave a solid set up, didn't rub paint off the fork crown or head tube and made the harness easy to remove as you just loosened the straps and popped them off the end of the bar thingy.

I also strap the bar roll to the rear loop with foam blocks so you can still hold it. Having a truss fork further aids bar roll stability :mrgreen: