SC Highball: suggest a fork??

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

SC Highball: suggest a fork??

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just got word from Stif cycles that my shiny new frame is ready for delivery. Planning to build it slowly after paying it off (interest free otherwise it'd not be allowed me). Gonna have it as my only bike (roadies notwithsatanding.. but we all know they're tripe, right!) so gonna need to get the parts list right.

Forks... needing something generally fit/forget but good internals that won't corrode and break. Gonna push for 120 to 130mm and take the poor geometry risk on the uphills though I guesstimate that it'll be fine.

MRP Ribbon coil have been top of the list but I don't think they come in 120mm flavour and not many get sold on fleabay. What else I need to be keeping an eye on (over the coming months)?

Suggestions most welcome and appreciated...
jay91

Re: SC Highball: suggest a fork??

Post by jay91 »

Rockshox Sid 120mm ? Quite expensive though

I've got a rockshox sektor on my Sherpa buts it's a heavy fork . It's the lower end of there range
I think I paid £330 from Germany for it

Hope the highball serves you well. :-bd
Trying to ride bikes.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Hi Shaf,
I'd stick to either 100 or switch a 100 fork to 110 for that bike.
There's a few of the 2020 sids around.

Bear in mind the bike Max's out at 120, no warranty complaints if you go 130 on an xc race bike and it breaks :lol:

Besides, seat angle getting slack above 110 using it?

I use 120mm sids on my chameleon and it rides very nicely
redefined_cycles

FLV wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:24 pm Hi Shaf,

Bear in mind the bike Max's out at 120, no warranty complaints if you go 130 on an xc race bike and it breaks :lol:

So you reckon it's gonna go mentally off camber trying to fit even a 120mm in there Dave? I think I read somewhere that the newer 2021 model is able to accomodate 120mm but not sure if that was an official thing :smile:

Warranty complaints... I've stopped assuming that anything above the 1 year limit would be a true thing anyway. But do have high hopes for the SC as I don't know how to push a bike beyond XC mode anyway :-bd (always think of my face and clavicles)
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I'll second this ... that is a brilliant bike and if you really want to get the best out of it, stick to 100mm.

I've always liked the RockShox Reba as a reasonably light, ok performing, extremely reliable option. Not as good as a SID but half the price.

More importantly though, did you get the 2021 one in that glorious red?
I'm just going outside ...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Agreed reba for a decent compromise of weight , performance and price
SIDS if you have deep pockets
re travel Axle to crown [A-C]length is more importan tthan travel - you may find some 120s with the same A-C as rockshox
FLV

Post by FLV »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:34 pm

So you reckon it's gonna go mentally off camber trying to fit even a 120mm in there Dave? I think I read somewhere that the newer 2021 model is able to accomodate 120mm but not sure if that was an official thing :smile:

Warranty complaints... I've stopped assuming that anything above the 1 year limit would be a true thing anyway. But do have high hopes for the SC as I don't know how to push a bike beyond XC mode anyway :-bd (always think of my face and clavicles)
I think it does allow to 120 yes.
It'll likely be ok at 120 but maybe the front will start to wander about a bit on steep in the saddle climbs. Which will only get worse with a 130 (you did mention pushing to this).

You mention the ribbon coil, but The highball is an XC race bike essentially so to make it a bit more trail I'd not really go past a 120, and personally I'd stick to a light xc air fork. It will feel nice and sprightly and balanced that way.

If you over fork it too much you'll end up with a bulldozer up front, flying at stuff and getting the back end bounced about all over the place, popping tyres and what not .

Just my opinion, not necessarily right or wrong :-bd
slarge

Post by slarge »

I have a 29er Reba SL with tapered steerer Shaf if you are interested. It has a stupidly short steerer though (170mm or so). I can duck tape a longer steerer tube if you'd like but that will invalidate any warranty and you might need dental insurance.
The forks are white and in pretty good condition.

Drop me a PM if you are interested (the steerer is probably too short though so please triple check before paying any money).
jay91

Post by jay91 »

slarge wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:08 pm I have a 29er Reba SL with tapered steerer Shaf if you are interested. It has a stupidly short steerer though (170mm or so). I can duck tape a longer steerer tube if you'd like but that will invalidate any warranty and you might need dental insurance.

Drop me a PM if you are interested (the steerer is probably too short though so please triple check before paying any money).

Tf tuned will/can replace a steerer it's about £100 a friend had one done last month
If that's any help
Trying to ride bikes.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I've one of the new SIDs in 120mm, they are excellent. Would advise.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

I have a Reba 100mm on my XC hardtail, tuned with a couple of tokens and I really like it. It's a good fork for the money. That said, I've ridden a bike with a SID and could immediately tell the difference...
redefined_cycles

slarge wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:08 pm I have a 29er Reba SL with tapered steerer Shaf if you are interested. It has a stupidly short steerer though (170mm or so). I can duck tape a longer steerer tube if you'd like but that will invalidate any warranty and you might need dental insurance.

Thanks Steve. Most kind asways and very much appreciated. Still in Dartmoor but will check steerer when getting home. Could you down a rough price of how much you'd want for em please kind sir :smile:

Though I am inclined towards some SIDS now that Gregs mentioned how much he likes his (think he also has a Highball).

Thanks all...
redefined_cycles

GregMay wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:22 pm I've one of the new SIDs in 120mm, they are excellent. Would advise.
Thanks v much Greg. Advice greatly recieved...
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I do not have a Highball currently. Had one many years ago. They are on my "new" Spearfish.