Tarps and no bivi bags

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearlegged

Re: Tarps and no bivi bags

Post by Bearlegged »

I've done a couple of nights with a Gatewood, no bivvy bag, and a polycro groundsheet.
I didn't die.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Landslide wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:58 am I've done a couple of nights with a Gatewood, no bivvy bag, and a polycro groundsheet.
I didn't die.
ditto (not at the same time as Landslide, I should clarify!)
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

... me too. Although I did use a bathtub groundsheet as it was bloody freezing and it helps restrain my winter quilt*.

*out of interest, the first time I typed that ^. It said ...
... me too. Although I did use a bathrub groundsheet as it was bloody freezing and it helps restrain my winter guilt*. Which still kind of makes sense in a cryptic way.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

:smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

a 'bathrub' sounds a relaxing sort of service too :grin: . Perhaps administered by Cosey from the 'listening' thread (I don't know what I'm talking about here and am relying on JC's experiences at Lotus Electronica).
Last edited by RIP on Sun May 16, 2021 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I posted it in Bargain alert, but RAB eVent bags are £110 (from £270) on SP site.
https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/pr ... id/2220489
Promo code SP-SC-20 for the extra 20%
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

boxelder wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:08 am I posted it in Bargain alert, but RAB eVent bags are £110 (from £270) on SP site.
https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/pr ... id/2220489
Promo code SP-SC-20 for the extra 20%
Bargain. But how much does that puppy taper towards the knees? I would be a molten screaming mess in something that tight. OOAVOC
I'm just going outside ...
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Hardly ever use a bivi in a Gatewood but am trying a Tyvek bivi this weekend and with the amount of rain coming down in Devon right now I think I have made a good choice :grin:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I might be missing something here but I'm pretty sure the Tyvek groundsheet that I have is more bulky than my Borah Bivvy anyway. I have used Polycryo groundsheets on occasions but they tended to wrinkle and move about a lot in my experience so has limited usefulness.
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

I have used a tarp only with a small ground sheet for years, hiking and bike packing and haven't died yet. Been out in all sorts of weather and temps with no real issues. I also use a synthetic sleeping bag because I'm allergic to feathers so less damp sensitive. There's nothing worse than being attacked by your bed while you're sleeping!
Ray Jardine has a lot to say on the subject in his book The RAY-Way Tarp Book which I had dug out to bring to the WRT. As I understand it he was the bloke who started off the Ultra-light hiking thing and him and his followers are often referred to as the Jardi-Nazis by the regular or old school hikers. Him and his wife did a lot of cycle touring back in the day as well. If memory serves he's through hiked the Appalachian Trail and the Pacific Crest trail using only a tarp.
I'm not a huge weight worrier myself but found it interesting none the less. Thought it might be of interest to Bearbonesnorm if you've not already read it?
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Bargain. But how much does that puppy taper towards the knees? I would be a molten screaming mess in something that tight. OOAVOC
Been thinking about this. Do you need more space, cos you have to sleep with your legs apart, or just don't like feeling restricted? Last couple of times I've used mine, I've had no noticeable condensation - sleeping bag dry. Admittedly, my head was 'out' so not breathing into it, but still..... Does not having loads of space in there improve breathability? I suspect it does. I tend to sleep on my side with bent legs, knees together and quite like feeling cocooned.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Are there light, cheap and breathable bivi bags available? For me, bivi and tarp is heavier and bulkier than my Trekkertent, so seems pointless. I'd need to know it was going to be mild to just go with tarp, as my sleeping bag is a bit minimal.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Life style...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

boxelder wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:20 pm Are there light, cheap and breathable bivi bags available? For me, bivi and tarp is heavier and bulkier than my Trekkertent, so seems pointless. I'd need to know it was going to be mild to just go with tarp, as my sleeping bag is a bit minimal.
Nah, if you are using a tarp / tarp tent you are best with somat like a borah bivvy with a shower proof top only.

The Alpine does look a bit snug. My Ascent is the same but bigger and with a bug mesh. I hardly ever use it (600'gs versus 700 for my tarp set up and borah bag) but it does allow me my nigh time revolutions without issue and I can get a mat and winter bag in it.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

boxelder wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:20 pm Are there light, cheap and breathable bivi bags available? For me, bivi and tarp is heavier and bulkier than my Trekkertent, so seems pointless. I'd need to know it was going to be mild to just go with tarp, as my sleeping bag is a bit minimal.
Borah Gear Cuben Fibre bivy is 135g, Trekkertent tarp is 140g

Borah Gear Argon bivy is 165g, Gatewood Cape is 280g

Trekkertent Stealth 1 is 570g.

No poles or pegs included in the above.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Stealth is 340 outer only so not that different from Gatewood or
200g in Cuben [£250 dearer ]
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Lazarus wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:44 pm Stealth is 340 outer only
A tarp then?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Yes its a special kind of tarp you can only set up one way and that way is enclosed tent :wink:

I did it just so it could be compared to a Gatewood and a Borah
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Lazarus wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:12 pm Yes its a special kind of tarp you can only set up one way and that way is enclosed tent :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Works for me. Saves all that prevarication.