Pumps

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Tomwoodbury

Pumps

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Recommendations for a small-ish frame mounted pump please?

My not fit for purpose mini road pump is broken now, and inflating 2.6” tyres with it has been an infrequent but painful experience!

Cheers
Lazarus

Re: Pumps

Post by Lazarus »

i use a topeak pocket rocket
Not really tried much else recently as they work and | have not broken ether of the two I own
Not great with a 29er was over 100 pump cycles but it got it done
not hst expensive eether [10% off with British Cycling]
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-m ... 20089.html
slarge

Post by slarge »

I got a Lezyne mini thing that has a flexi hose that screws onto the presta valve. Utter poor show, it has a 100% record of removing the valve core when unscrewing the hose. Might work with the fixed valve core or schraeder valves but not with Schwalbe type valves.

The Topeak pumps I have are great by comparison- mini master blaster or something is great
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Experienced the tedious bollox of Lezyne and its inability to inflate myself.

Jameso recommend an Evans own brand FWE pump (sorry, vague). It's small and effective so :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

There's two classes of bike pumps: low volume, high pressure used for road bike tyres and high volume, low pressure used for MTB tyres. You want one of the latter.

I use a Topeak Mountain Morph and a Topeak DA (Dual Action) 2. Like Steve I avoid Lezyne pumps, simply not fit for purpose when out in the sticks.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’ve got a OneUp EDC pump, £54 very good as it’s fairly high volume, the head unscrews and becomes a CO2 inflator. Very solid aluminium construction. The main reason I got it is you can buy a tool kit which fits inside it, chain breaker, multi tool, tubeless tyre plugger, spare set of quick links and a mini set of quick link pliers all fit inside the pump in a carrier. The tools are extra but I’d recommend the pump on its own.

https://uk.oneupcomponents.com/products/edc-pump

I like it a lot and would buy again if I tragically lost it :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

I once again find myself swimming against the tide here. :roll:

I use (and have for years) a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV ABS Pump and its been faultless. In my riding circles we all use them due to high speed of infalting plus size tires and i don't know anyone who has had an issue with one. I have had many, many pumps over the years and this is and still is my go-to pump for bikepacking duties.
robbie

Post by robbie »

Silca tattico is the best I've found
Really good quality flex hose that clamps not screw on. It's not mini but it's bloody good. When I'm out in a road group everyone asks for a shot as it's far superior to the mini ones they carry.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Thanks all. My crap one is a Lezyne - agree with comment about pulling valve stems out.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

NorwayCalling wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:10 pm I once again find myself swimming against the tide here. :roll:

I use (and have for years) a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV ABS Pump and its been faultless. In my riding circles we all use them due to high speed of infalting plus size tires and i don't know anyone who has had an issue with one. I have had many, many pumps over the years and this is and still is my go-to pump for bikepacking duties.
Aye decent pump, as you said good for plus tyres. As for it unscrewing valves it happened to me once, I learned the lesson and did them up properly.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Dean

Post by Dean »

NorwayCalling wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:10 pm I once again find myself swimming against the tide here. :roll:

I second this, pumps my tyres up considerably faster than my Mountain Morph did (the handle could be a bit bigger though for my massive hands) and as it screws back into its base it doesn't get infiltrated by dirt. The longer hose and solid connection makes it so much easier to pump without taking the wheel out.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Lezyne Alloy drive for the 29+ and HV floor drive for the fatbike (both use schraeder), high pressure drive for the grovel and road bikes (presta) Never had the prestas unscrew (they are in tight) and the pumps have been flawless - I like a nice simple pump not a fancy double action thing. The seal is just an O ring so easy to carry a spare. Simple and idiot proof.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I like the Lezyne mini floor pumps but always had problems with valve cores coming off done up properly or not.
This little widget sorts that problem out a treat.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Lezyne ... lsrc=aw.ds
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:50 pm Experienced the tedious bollox of Lezyne and its inability to inflate myself.
I suspect there may seperarate forum for deviant self inflation or pneumatic pleasures :lol: enough of the purile drivel
on a sober note, I use Truflo mini floor pump truflo. it even has a guage to tell you youve only a long way to go... on pro. option £25 at
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-m ... 8566.html

it's a screw on hose and has been fine except for Milkit removable & self sealing valves stem..
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

slarge wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:41 pm I got a Lezyne mini thing that has a flexi hose that screws onto the presta valve. Utter poor show, it has a 100% record of removing the valve core when unscrewing the hose. Might work with the fixed valve core or schraeder valves but not with Schwalbe type valves.

The Topeak pumps I have are great by comparison- mini master blaster or something is great
The Lezyne pumps are brilliant... BUT use them all with the road hose version. Rather than Schraeder/Presta valves each end the road has one push on, one screw on (presta only) and then does a great job.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I've slagged of Lezyne serval times, I don't think things have improved. They're very nicely made pumps that unscrew valve cores. If you buy one expect to buy another widget as above, superglue the cores in, carry spare cores, carry something to tighten the core, etc, etc.

The best fix for Lezyne problems is to buy something else. For a frame pump I still use the Zefal HPX I bought 40 years ago. For the mountain bike I carry a Topeak Mountain Morph on trips, CO2 if it's local spin.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Indeed it does but it also shows that what they sell has a known issue - ex lezyne pump owner/user.
I believe they did one with a valve core tool on the pump - part of the nut end that screws into the pump iirc again showing its known flaw -I do agree if the cire stays in its a great pumpand never had any other issue with it and had it for a decade
Last edited by Lazarus on Thu May 13, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Lazarus wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:34 am
Indeed it does but it also shows that what they sell has a known issue - ex lezyne pump owner/user.
I believe they did one with a valve core tool on the pump - part of the nut end that screws into the pump iirc again showing its known flaw -I do agree if the cire stays in its a great pumpand never had any other issue with it and had it for a decade
I don’t disagree.
I liked the Lezyne right up till I went tubeless and the valve core thing became apparent.
Now have a Topeak Double Shot.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I've had the leyzene pump for about 7 years. I think it's unscrewed the valve twice during this time.
Boab

Post by Boab »

I use a Topeak Race Rocket and find it's prone to removing the valve cores. If you don't screw it on tight it just leaks, so you're in a no win situation. I carry a ParkTool valve core tool, so it's a ball ache, but not the end of the world...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

rudedog wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:03 pm I've had the leyzene pump for about 7 years. I think it's unscrewed the valve twice during this time.
Yes, but you’ve only used the pump three times :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

once is too often as you now have a totally flat tyre and no way to inflate it, i had to push to road and wait for a passing roadie for a loan of his pump.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I got some of those valve caps that also have a slot to tighten cores. One on each bike. That and a pump that's not Lezyne have worked well for me.

It's a shame because the Lezynes are lovely bits of kit, well built, light, durable etc etc but just lost faith. Shame :|