I give up.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

I give up.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Apparently, there's nothing wrong with this photograph that was taken over the weekend and posted today on fb. Everything's fine because there's an ex-fireman or two there and they didn't build the fire pit. They spent the following night in a bothy but that was okay too because it was unlocked and no one else was there (maybe because other people were respecting the wishes of the MBA, dickhead).

May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Re: I give up.

Post by voodoo_simon »

To think once I was ignorant enough to think that people would look after the countryside :oops:

What Facebook site was that on?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's a post on the Bikepacking Offroad page Simon.
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Bunch of fluffy bunnies, 50p says they left a mess too
RIP

Post by RIP »

The worst part, the very worst part, is those ridiculous hats!

My Auntie Win used to hide spare toilet rolls under ones like that. Or a pot of tea.
Last edited by RIP on Mon May 10, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

But fair play for packing two breeze blocks and half a telegraph pole in with 'em.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Richard G

Post by Richard G »

RIP wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:24 pm But fair play for packing two breeze blocks and half a telegraph pole in with 'em.
Well, apparently not if they weren't the ones that built it.

On the subject generally... just, sigh.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Richard G wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:52 pm
RIP wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:24 pm But fair play for packing two breeze blocks and half a telegraph pole in with 'em.
Well, apparently not if they weren't the ones that built it.

On the subject generally... just, sigh.
Perhaps I was treating "pit" a little too literally - as in an existing "excavation below ground" whereas the blocks were "above ground" and potentially added to said existing pit :wink:

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Looking at there photos they were on ebikes too, ebikes to bike pack???
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

JohnClimber wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:31 am Looking at there photos they were on ebikes too, ebikes to bike pack???
If your trip is within your battery range then why not? Certainly doesn't raise any eyebrows for me compared to the rest of the mess they've made!🤔
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

The way they try to justify having a fire by saying two of them were ex firemen!!! Surely being ex firemen they should have known better. Or maybe that's why they're no longer firemen.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Perhaps job creation Ray :wink:
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

JohnClimber wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:31 am Looking at there photos they were on ebikes too, ebikes to bike pack???
Why would them being on ebiker be an issue?
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I've electrified my cargo bike. One day I'm going to go for a local bivy and take ALL the luxuries!
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

You could even take a fire pit :grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

PaulB2 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:25 pm You could even take a fire pit :grin:
That's in a similar vein to taking a hole to put your poo in :wink: .

lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

PaulB2 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:25 pm You could even take a fire pit :grin:
.... and a good sized bowser too.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

mattpage wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:54 pm
As Johnny says above
"within your battery range then why not?"

I guess it's not a problem in that case.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

JohnClimber wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:05 pm
mattpage wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:54 pm
As Johnny says above
"within your battery range then why not?"

I guess it's not a problem in that case.
Perhaps if they weren't on ebikes they wouldn't have the energy/capacity to bring chairs and bottles of whiskey and then they wouldn't feel the need to sit round a massive fire?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

They justified the bothy by saying that they had tents, but it was hosing down and the bothy was open - so why not. If the door was open and they genuinely didn't know they are officially closed, I was thinking it was forgivable, but I'd not seen that seats around the massive fire pic :sad: Also, they justified sharing the space as they all work together anyway ~X(
I used a shooting cabin to sleep in on DD, but they aren't closed, there was a group in the previous one (Dent Houses) and the risk of super spreading was less than using one of the very, very many gate latches. If someone else had been there, I'd have moved on.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Slightly aside, isn't it in the Bothy Code or just general best practice not to camp at bothies?

I'm always a bit surprised at ebikes for overnighters, simply because I thought they had a limited range, would be a heavy pig when "dead" and the general shortage of plug sockets for charging in the "great outdoors". Not that I'd know as I'm still grinding away under my own steam :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm always a bit surprised at ebikes for overnighters, simply because I thought they had a limited range, would be a heavy pig when "dead" and the general shortage of plug sockets for charging in the "great outdoors".
I was told this a few weeks ago by a shop owner and it makes you reconsider and even wonder whether ebikes could actually be dangerous :wink:

Bloke has a heart attack. After he recovered he's advised to take up some kind of sport. He picks cycling, buys a bike and off he goes. After a while, he decides he'd like to venture higher / further than his current fitness allows, so buys himself an ebike. One day while out on the moors, his battery goes flat, so given that he's a good few miles from assistance, he begins to push. Quite obviously, his bike was quite heavy with no electrical assist available but he struggles on until the strain is too much and he has a second heart attack and dies.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:58 am
I'm always a bit surprised at ebikes for overnighters, simply because I thought they had a limited range, would be a heavy pig when "dead" and the general shortage of plug sockets for charging in the "great outdoors".
I was told this a few weeks ago by a shop owner and it makes you reconsider and even wonder whether ebikes could actually be dangerous :wink:

Bloke has a heart attack. After he recovered he's advised to take up some kind of sport. He picks cycling, buys a bike and off he goes. After a while, he decides he'd like to venture higher / further than his current fitness allows, so buys himself an ebike. One day while out on the moors, his battery goes flat, so given that he's a good few miles from assistance, he begins to push. Quite obviously, his bike was quite heavy with no electrical assist available but he struggles on until the strain is too much and he has a second heart attack and dies.
:shock:

Poor buggger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just going back to the original point ... I think one of the things that both surprised me (I shouldn't have been really) and saddened me, was how many people on that post seemed to think that this groups actions were perfectly acceptable and the fact they were having a good time, was the most important factor. It really just makes you realise quite what it is 'you're' up against.
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:17 am Just going back to the original point ... I think one of the things that both surprised me (I shouldn't have been really) and saddened me, was how many people on that post seemed to think that this groups actions were perfectly acceptable and the fact they were having a good time, was the most important factor. It really just makes you realise quite what it is 'you're' up against.
Also, the OP was unapologetic. If you're in the wrong, to me it just makes it worse by trying to justify your actions.
May satan walk with you