My kit's crap, spend my money for me.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Thisisnotaspoon

My kit's crap, spend my money for me.

Post by Thisisnotaspoon »

My current kit's bit me on the ass a few times, especially when an unforecasted 12hour "shower" has followed me for a hundred miles on a ride where I'd decided I could do without a tarp to save some weight :oops:

Current kit:

Tent - Gelert Solo

It's fine for what it is, and the weight isn't too bad. But it's tiny so of only marginal benefit over a bivi bag. As there's not room to climb into it and get warm and dry it only really comes out mid-winter when it's sub zero but not raining.

Bivi Bag - RAM Storm

Great, but also a bit inbetweeny. This plus a tarp weighs more than a tent. A RAB survival zone + lighter tarp would weigh less than this. It's waterproof enough to use without a tarp, but at the same time, the heavier material isn't breathable enough in warmer weather.

Tarp - Decathlon.

It's absolutely massive and middle weight material. Could probably be a fith the material weight and halve the size.

Sleeping bag - M.E. Dragon series

1500g of 80's Down bag. It's not light but it's bloody warm, but also bulky (and not light).

Sleeping mat - Vango 3/4 self-inflating.

Bulky and heavy, but not a bad night's sleep. It's mostly the bulk and the weight that's the problem.

What I think I want:

Budget's..... bugget, so probably looking for things that might realistically come up 2nd hand or be good bang/buck.

Tent - tempted by RichPips tarptent in the classifieds as something big enough to at least wriggle in/out of wet gear inside, but it's still quite expensive. For the few times I use it I'd probably be happy to skip it and just get a lighter bivi bag and more packable tarp.

Bivi bag - Rab Survival Zone Lite? Figure it could be a free-ish upgrade by selling mine on ebay and getting one of these the same way. Or should I ditch it entirely and trust in the water repellency of the quilt in combination with a bigger tarp to make a groundsheet?

Tarp - happy to got the MYOG route with the thinnest budget-friendly material (cuben is out, spinnaker is probable).

Bag - Cumulus 350 quilt? If it's <0C I can take the bag.

Mat - probably a long/wide rectangle one rather than the lightest as I'm 6ft and tend to wriggle, although I don't find my feet get cold even on the 3/4 mat in winter so could be tempted to go smaller. Exped or thermarest?

Any suggestions? The idea aim of this would be it all to fit in one bag for shorter overnight trips, and leave more room for creature comforts like food on longer trips.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: My kit's crap, spend my money for me.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Now, you're obviously going to get lots of different answers based on peoples personal kit and experience with it and they'll all be perfectly valid - here's my suggstions.

Shelter: Gatewood cape. Weighs less than 300g (excluding pole/ pegs) yet provides 360 coverage and enough room. Pair it up with any bivvy bag you like or just use a groundsheet and forego the bivvy.

Bag: I do like my Cumulus quilts but you might find them a touch snug unless you order something custom. I'm very impressed with the quilts from Sierra Designs which are similar money but that bit more 'American'.

Mat: I'm a fan of Exped but prices of mats seems to have risen somewhat of late and both Exped and Thermarest are now quite pricey. Maybe have a look at the Exped Synmat-lite, not as light as the UL but cheaper. Also bear in mind that a small mat from Exped is generally bigger than other manufacturers. Big Agnes might also be worth a look too.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

First off, your sleeping mat.

While on this forum there are a wide range of preferences when it comes to shelter (tarp/tent/bivvy...), I reckon (leaving aside absolutely minimalist racing set-ups) everyone will agree on the value of a decent mat. Unlike sleeping bags, there's no such thing as a mat that is too insulated (i.e. will make you overheat). Exped and Thermarest are perennial favourites. I think this one will come down to balancing price/weight/bulk for you.
FWIW, I'm 6' tall, and just about fit on an Exped Synmat UL 7 M. It's insulated enough for me (a fairly cold/nesh sleeper) for year-round UK lowland/hills use (excluding proper winter mountaineering conditions).

On the tarp/tent/bivvy question, one option might be a Lanshan 1 tent (the version with the removable inner). The outer on its own is ~415g, a carbon pole from Stu is ~80g. Full set up including inner, pegs, stuff sacks etc. is ~950g. When you want a tent, use it all. Or, if you're not bothered about having an inner tent, Gatewood Cape (like Stu says).
When you're happy to travel a bit lighter, use just the outer and a bit of Tyvek or similar as a groundsheet. No need for a bivvy bag.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Tent:
SMD Lunar Solo, if that's too pricey and you have no qualms about buying Chinese knock-offs, a 3F UL Lanshan Pro 1. I've found my Lanshan to be a bit of a condensation trap though, and it takes a while to figure out how to pitch it nicely.

Bag:
Cumulus 250 quilt and a set of merino thermals, which is what I'm intending on replacing my RAB Atlas 800 with.

Mat:
Something from Exped, I've got a DownMat Lite 5 M which was recommended by multi people off here.

I've not considered replacing my Army Gore-Tex bivy bag, or buying a tarp, after picking up the Lanshan Pro 1 off here. It's tempting if I was to start doing ITT's, but I like the sanctuary of a tent.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've said it many times but tent Vs bivvy shouldn't come down to weight. It's more of a lifestyle choice :lol:

The Lunar Solo / Cumulus 250 / Exped recommendation is very hard to fault. Personally I'd go for a Synmat 7 for year-round use. Also consider a quilt/bag combo as providing 4 seasons worth of options.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

'Bivvy - it's a lifestyle choice' .... new sticker anyone? :wink:
Thisisnotaspoon

I've said it many times but tent Vs bivvy shouldn't come down to weight. It's more of a lifestyle choice :lol:
Haha, I'd agree. but sometimes it'd just be nice to upgrade from type III to at least type II fun after a bad day rather than trying to figure out how to get from soaking wet cycling kit to a down bag in a bivi as dry as possible whilst your deity of choice pours buckets of cold water on you.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

+1 for the Gatewood Cape. I had one but my wife nicked it and the only time I see it is when we bivy. :grin: The current model would fit in a jersey pocket. If you want something more tent like then the Lunar Solo fits the bill.

Sleeping mat - Exped or Thermarest, just find one in a sale. As Stu notes the prices have gone up sharply.

Sleeping bag/quilt. I’ve the Cumulus 150 quilt, very much a summer only or ITT model. My wife has the 350 and it’s fine for all year use. So by the process of deduction the 250 will be good enough for 3 seasons. I’m 1.80m and I’d say I’m the max height for them - I can comfortably get my shoulders under the quilt.

The above come to about 1200g, add 100g for pole and pegs and 300g for a lightweight bivy bag and you’ll be good to go. Should all fit in a 8L dry bag
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Rab survival zone lite bivvies aren't fully waterproof (including the base) so not ideal. Borah gear bivvy is the same weight, has a waterproof base and a bug mesh.

If you fancy sticking with a flat tarp DD superlight is pretty good value.
slarge

Post by slarge »

OEX do some nice little tents that are currently sub £100 in Go Outdoors. One of them is like a Terra Nova Laserlite but a bit heavier and a lot cheaper.

I really like my Laserlite if budget is less important than weight (circa 900g for a 1 person with poles and pegs)
Thisisnotaspoon

Rab survival zone lite bivvies aren't fully waterproof (including the base) so not ideal. Borah gear bivvy is the same weight, has a waterproof base and a bug mesh.
Yea, I like the look of the Borah stuff, keep the slugs out! Getting upto tent money though.
ton

Post by ton »

i am gonna try a alpkit solo xl tent. i like to be inside.
Thisisnotaspoon

So based on the recommendations above and even more googling.

Thermarest NeoAir XLite, seems to be a bit warmer and more rectangular than the equivalent weight (~360g) Exped Synmat HL. And a few reviews mention it being better side sleepers and people who move about (crisp packet noise aside)?

I've looked at the sierra designs quilt before and kinda put off by the lack of pad attachments, a few reviews saying it wasn't that warm, and it doesn't mention whether the shell is water repellant or if the baffles are H baffles or just stitched through? Would the lack of pad attachments make it a bit of a liability without a bivi bag with bits of it flapping off the mat onto wet grass? I think I've kinda settled on the cumulus 350. The only thing putting me off is the 3-4 week turnaround, a friend convinced me to do the Saxon way event which means keeping up with people and skinny tyres cross bike tyres rather than my usual mountainbike and happy to spin up hills slowly setup which is why I've convinced myself I need to save a few kg's.

Keeping the big RAB bivi bag for now as it's big enough to have the mat inside, so the weight is offset by the weight saved with a quilt (and the breathability might be less of an issue with a kilo less sleeping bag around me :lol: ) and ordered some spinnaker to have a go at making something to keep the rain off.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Would the lack of pad attachments make it a bit of a liability without a bivi bag with bits of it flapping off the mat onto wet grass?
Personally, I find all pad attachments to be a PITA and promptly remove them. If I were using a quilt without a bivvy on wet grass, I'd be using a groundsheet. :wink:
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I agree about attachments - extra faff for no gain IME.