I’ve finally found MY (almost) perfect way to stay dry

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

I’ve finally found MY (almost) perfect way to stay dry

Post by JohnClimber »

After many years of bike riding in the rain here in the UK and getting very wet and cold many times, I feel that I’ve finally found MY (almost) perfect way to stay 100% dry from the rain (well 95 to 99%’ish)

Over the years I’ve realised the following are all rubbish and a waste of money as they simply don’t keep you dry.
1) Any “waterproof” jacket that has a Durable Water Repellent (DWR). OK so when they are new for the first few uses most jackets are brilliant, but after a short while or a bit of use they start to “wet out”, where they need to be “re-proofed” again, and you will NEVER get them as good as new ever again.
2) Over shoes, don’t waste your money
3) Bear legs, water runs down your legs into your socks and fills your shoes in no time
4) Waterproof socks, useless after 2 or 3 rides* (but useful on my set up)
5) Thin mudguards, water gets everywhere
6) Riding fast, you sweat more and fill up from the inside, slow down and vent cooler air around your chest when leaning forward to keep the rain out.
7) I’m sure there’s loads more

My set up is temperature dependent, with winter and summer alternatives, your clothing layering is down you your own comfort levels.

Jacket
Colder weather – Columbia Outdry jacket – I have the Titanium, now called the Reign. A long term convert to this jacket
Warm weather - Gore R7 Gore-Tex Shakedry Hooded Jacket – R is for running, C is for Cycling, But the running one has the very useful hood, which stopped rain running down your back.
In the rain ride with your hood up under your helmet
Gloves
Any cycling gloves will do depending on the temperature, but wear engineering latex gloves underneath, the gloves will always soak out but the latex gloves keep your hands warm and dry (assuming that the over gloves are for the right temperatures. And make sure your long sleeves are fastened over the tops of these latex gloves so water can’t drain into them and fill them up.
Feet
Merino sock (thickness and length is temperature depending)
Over these wrap Turkey cooking bags (very loosely, so your toes don’t split them open at the front), Tape these up with electrical tape, then fit *Waterproof socks over these. Shoes wear what ever shoes you’d use for the time of year and conditions that you normally use.
The Turkey bag tip was pointed out to me by a good friend who says that some of the top long distance ultra riders use them, and after today’s ride they really do work as a great waterproof barrier without over heating
Legs
If only Columbia would make Outdry over trousers and Gore made Shakedry over trousers then I think I would have my perfect set up…. But they don’t.
So I use my Berghaus DWR “waterproof” walking over trousers, Although not as they have a DWR, but they are good enough as your jacket and riding position offers them a bit of cover.
I use electrical tape to tape the bottom of these up, to help keep them out of the drive train, but also to ensure that they overlap the turkey bags, so that water doesn’t not rundown inside them.
Cycling glasses.
Coat them with Rain-X to help them from steaming up and keep the water running off them.

It worked really well today*
* Apart from one turkey bag which I'd fitted a bit too tight and split near the toe, where water got it. The other was perfectly dry (apart from a bit of sweat) so I know that if fitted they work perfectly

I hope this was of some help
BigdummySteve

Re: I’ve finally found MY (almost) perfect way to stay dry

Post by BigdummySteve »

Sounds like a good system John, but judging from the first and last photos it seems to cause extreme ageing, risky but I might give it a go. :-SS
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I’m a convert to the Outdry jacket. I got very cold in one on a Cairngorms Loop attempt but I think this was down to me expecting it to be another layer based on the breathability of previous jackets. The fit is poor though, far too short with no drop tail, so if you wear it off the bike anything in your trouser pockets gets soaked.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Great ideas there John, thanks, and you certainly needed them yesterday....

Kind of not related at all, my mate found this yesterday :lol: https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... rak-p13663
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Uhm, not sure it's working - you still look really wet.

May the bridges you burn light your way
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Strangely, i had the same thought the other day :grin:
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

My setup is:

Endura onsie
Goretex shoes
Wooly socks
Some form of wtaerproof glove.

Works great, don't overheat and stay bone-dry. tested by standing under a waterfall.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

In the rain ride with your hood up under your helmet
I overheat if i do this
RainX works pretty well

as for waterproof trousers Endura Stealth work perfectly - can get a bit cold if it rains all day so i wear knee warmers if its very cold and wet

Your shoe/toe bag set up would leave me sweating [ and i think i would just go old school and use carrier bags on the outside ] so get some waterproof boots[45 north for me ] and have the stealths over the cuff so no water runs in [ you can also use driving gaitors as well]
Overshoes if its trully biblical and for 6 hours +

Same issue with gloves - would find that very clammy - pogges ifI cared to tha degree but Aldi ones work fine for me
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:55 am Uhm, not sure it's working - you still look really wet.
Wet on the outside where it should be, dry all over on the inside