Bells and alerters: your favourite (gone to poll)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Timber 'ringer' or Decathlon bell ?

Poll ended at Sun May 09, 2021 7:14 pm

Timbler is ace
67%
Decathlon will make you happy
33%

Total votes: 9
lune ranger

Re: Bells and alerters: your favourite (gone to poll)

Post by lune ranger »

I’ve a Timber. No one has ever complained about that but it fails to alert quite a lot of folks. I suppose those are the ones who are oblivious to talking or normal bells as well - not a fault of the bell itself.
It’s pretty good on particularly crowded sections of trail because of the continuous sound.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’ve a Timber. No one has ever complained about that but it fails to alert quite a lot of folks. I suppose those are the ones who are oblivious to talking or normal bells as well - not a fault of the bell itself.
It’s pretty good on particularly crowded sections of trail because of the continuous sound.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

it fails to alert quite a lot of folks
This is my experience with any bell* and afte a thread on here on it got the ebay copy allready listed
If that fails to alert them I then shout with varying degrees of volume/politeness/urgency

* i once had a compresed air fog horn that once made a tractor stop on a blind bend but you could not really use it for pdestrians as it was insanely loud

https://www.airzound.co.uk/
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I've got a spurcycle bell, courtesy of the WRT raffle 3? years ago now, on my gravel bike. It's nice little thing that makes a lovely sound but I've not been tempted to buy another one for my other main bike due to the price. One thing I've noticed is that you tend to only need to give it a single ping since the note lasts quite a while so I've never been accused of aggressive bell usage. That said, you can't win with shared use paths; some people will complain if you use a bell, some people will complain if you don't use a bell. Some people will blank you when you say thank you as you pass, other people will tut and passively aggressively say 'it'd be nice if they said thank you for letting me past' because you didn't say thank you to the last person in a 20 odd person moving road block of a group because they didn't hear you say it earlier.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Spur cycle from Keep Peddling would get my vote if it was an option, as Stuart says it's a work of art and sounds so much better than any Chinese rip off that I've ever heard
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

lune ranger wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:25 pm I’ve a Timber. No one has ever complained about that but it fails to alert quite a lot of folks. I suppose those are the ones who are oblivious to talking or normal bells as well - not a fault of the bell itself.
Tell me... did you say it three times so everyone could hear you??

I've bought the Timber so we can click em to on position at same time on Dartmoor bivy. Might make up for the lack of alcohol ? Lol
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

sounds so much better than any Chinese rip off that I've ever heard
Yes but one is £50 and one is £5 the difference i not enough to open my wallet
jameso

Post by jameso »

Create ENE bell here on 2 bikes. Never had anyone complain about it. Loud, tone is good.
Cheap ding-ding bell on the SS is even better off road, 2 rings per trigger pull like a kid's bike, I'd have a brass version of that if I could find one.

I like the idea of the Timber also, quite liked riding with a bear bell in Canada.
JackT

Post by JackT »

Honourable mention for Lion Bell Works

https://www.lionbellworks.co.uk/

Parts are manufactured in Birmingham and Barnsley, assembled in Manchester. Rich sound with a long sustain.
psling

Post by psling »

JackT wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:06 pm Honourable mention for Lion Bell Works

https://www.lionbellworks.co.uk/

Parts are manufactured in Birmingham and Barnsley, assembled in Manchester. Rich sound with a long sustain.
I was given an engraved Lion bell for my 60th by one of my daughters. It does indeed have a nice timbre :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Another Lion user here, an engraved version as a gift to myself*. Hoping the brass gains some patina over the coming years of its life.

psling

Post by psling »

Landslide wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:10 pm Hoping the brass gains some patina over the coming years of its life.
It does :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

belugabob wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:24 pm www.trotify.com
I want one of those in Ti & carbon fibre.. :grin: .!
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

ledburner wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:52 pm
belugabob wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:24 pm www.trotify.com
I want one of those in Ti & carbon fibre.. :grin: .!
Ti - maybe a trip to the farriers...