Bluetooth headphones

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

petemaz

Bluetooth headphones

Post by petemaz »

Can anyone recommend some Bluetooth headphones for occasional use on the bike and when camping? My new phone came without a jack, so all my headphones are now obsolete 😭! I guess I need decent battery life and would prefer ones with a hook that goes around your ear.
Thanks
Cheeky Monkey

Re: Bluetooth headphones

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Branded - Powerbeats (earphones connected to each other by a wire round the back of the neck) or the Pro versions (each ear is a separate bud and can be used individually or as a pair). Only downside is a big-ass case but it also doubles as a battery and you can get many hours playback out of them.

Samsung do various Galaxy buds and I have an older pair of them. Sound is inferior to the PB but the connectivity is more solid. I think there's a bit of a reputation for Apple stuff working best with Apple and Samsung with Samsun (well d'uh!). Case is much smaller as well and also doubles as a battery so decent run times easily achieved. Not ear hooks.

All silly expensive.

Whilst I've not lost either I prefer the PB for doing anything exercise etc.

If you want cheap then TaoTronics (via Amazon) do loads of cheap but good buds, typically with a joining wire like the standard Powerbeats. I used to run in them and they were reliable for staying in etc. Only a small on board battery and need some power source to re-charge via a USB cable. Very reasonable prices.

Irrespective of any I still find some issues with reliable connectivity depending on where phone is compared to buds. Easy to work round but something to be aware of.
ripio

Post by ripio »

I picked up these https://www.therange.co.uk/technology-a ... orts-pods/ in The Range recently, didn't really expect much from them at a tenner, but they are actually remarkably good.
Battery life is much better than many more expensive competitors, seems to be around 6 hours plus.
I replaced the standard tips with my usual New Bee memory foam ear tips which makes them more comfortable and improves sound.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-Ne ... B07P2CNVR3
FLV

Post by FLV »

I have some Bose sound sport ones. Can't hear the music whizzing downhill, bit can hear your surroundings still.

Mine were warranty replacements for the older version which I got in a sale, they're outrageously expensive bought at RRP unfortunately
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have some Taotronics BH-07s. I only ever use them when I'm stopped for the night so no challenge about dealing with wind noise. They charge off a USB cable so I'd just top them up off a power pack occasionally if required.
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

I have some anker soundbuds slim.

Less than £20, 10 hours playtime for 2 hrs charging. Usual anker no quibble guarantee. My little lad hung off one till the bud popped out of the housing and as it was less than a year they were replaced.
Image Image
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Cheers all. I've had Anker stuff before and it's decent, well priced kit, so I'll maybe look into those slim ones. :-bd
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

TaoTronics Make good stuff, I bought a Bluetooth speaker as a present for someone and it gave my Bose a real good run for its money.

If you’re an iPhone user the iPods pro are very good, connect instantly when you open the case, sound good and are seamless in operation, that said I just can’t listen to music when on the bike. I thought the transparency feature might help, being able to hear traffic or birds singing instead of the isolation was one of the draws for me. Turns out I prefer just bird song or wind rustling through the trees if I’m Bivving.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
techno

Post by techno »

I have these and they've done great in all conditions. Battery life is good, sound good, price good :-bd
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3189870
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

What kind of phone is it? Most that don’t have a traditional 3.5 jack can be used with an adapter for the charge port.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have some airpods pro which are genuinely excellent but I'm too worried about losing then while riding. Brilliant if you have more than one apple device as they switch between them instantly

I have a cheap pair of anker ones, not true wireless as the buds have hooks for your ears and then connected with a cord, which also has a remote on. Work pretty well and there's no risk of losing them while riding. They were more like £30 or so I think. Bought them years ago
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

It's a Google Pixel. I ordered those Anker Slim ones, found a good deal for a pair. Thanks for the comments, as always much appreciated :-bd
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I had some air pod knock-offs I got from homesense, 20 quid I think. Just as well I didn't get the originals since one came out when running and bounced off my hand and disappeared into a bush never to be seen again. The other went down a plug hole - managed to fish it out again but it was soggy and died. That ended my experiment with pod style headphones.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Unless you have apple shaped ears (fnar!) I'm not surprised the fit was less than stellar.

Most Taotronics come with hooks and fins and so long as you are not a completely over sensitive weirdo you can usually get a good, locked in and comfy fit. Plus a lot of TT ones are two buds linked by a cable. Doubly hard to lose.

At the more expensive end my galaxy buds are a good fit though I would be a bit nervous running / riding. The Powerbeats in terms of secure fit are vaguely exciting though look a touch quirky 😉
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

as rudedog says you can just buy an adaptor for a fiver and continue using normal headphones

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BabyElf-Headph ... r_1_7_sspa
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

In Reverse wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:32 am as rudedog says you can just buy an adaptor for a fiver and continue using normal headphones

I did not know that! I assumed these new handsets without a jack were all pushing us to move to wireless stuff. I might just get the adaptor as well as I'm good at losing my headphones (or the kids 'borrow' them)! Cheers
directdrive

Post by directdrive »

Been through tons of pairs of these the last year or two. They've all broken or failed somehow, except the Taotronics ones which I put in the oven by mistake. Tried variously Taotronics, Soundpeats, Anker, MPOW....

I'm now on the absolute best ones I've ever used - Anker Soundcore Life A1. Less than £30, feel very robust, sound excellent, long battery life, and properly waterproof, i.e. you can use them in the shower if you so wish. Won't be switching from this make and model any time soon.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

petemaz wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:13 am
In Reverse wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:32 am as rudedog says you can just buy an adaptor for a fiver and continue using normal headphones

I did not know that! I assumed these new handsets without a jack were all pushing us to move to wireless stuff. I might just get the adaptor as well as I'm good at losing my headphones (or the kids 'borrow' them)! Cheers
I got one of these that has an additional USB c port as well as the 3.5 so toy can charge and listen at the same time. Handy in the car for satnav and music through the aux in.