Cooking pots query

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Cooking pots query

Post by redefined_cycles »

I think i wanna go back to a pot that gives a more even heat distribution. So scrambled eggs and other stuff can be cooked morr appropriately. In that regard I'm stopping taking the ti pot and want something thats not too heavy and cooking is nice with it (not just for soup and noodles).

Saw the alloy trangia today at Blacks but they don't have a bikepacking size and the handle is seperate. What other options do we have without worrying the the alloy is gonna be spread/scratched into the food in minute amounts.

Pls.. ta
ScotRoutes

Re: Cooking pots query

Post by ScotRoutes »

My "big" pot is an Optimus Weekend HE.

Use a plastic or wooden spoon if you don't want to scrape it?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ultimately if you want even heat distribution then you are going to need something with a substantial (i.e. heavy) base. That's just thermodynamics at work. Also "point" flames like those from the Pocket Rocket style stoves don't help so consider something with a broader flame so the heat is distributed better to begin with.

At the lighter end of the scale MSR do a "ceramic" series of pans - https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... pot-p12898. Don't have this particular one but do have the non-ceramic version, came as part of a 2-person "system" along with a 2.5L pan. It's lasted pretty well but we mainly use it for car camping mainly due to the bulk plus needing a bigger stove, also bulky, as an alcohol stove would struggle to heat/boil 2L of water.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have you considered a frying pan Shaf? I've got a GSI coated aluminium one. It's not too heavy and can live inside a frame bag. Not that much you can't cook in it really but as already said - a larger pot will often also mean a larger stove, so catch 22.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

whitestone wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:58 pm Ultimately if you want even heat distribution then you are going to need something with a substantial (i.e. heavy) base.
I can see an opening for Le Creuset here. "The Bikepacking Collection". Additional benefit - indestructible, can be thrown down mountains and will survive a horrendous MTB crash without a scratch. Probably more aimed at the R@pha/Waitrose crowd.
Last edited by RIP on Fri May 07, 2021 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Trangia makes/made(?) Very compact frying 'pans'. More of a heavy built lid with non-stick on alu. Works well with pancakes.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

whitestone wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:58 pm Ultimately if you want even heat distribution then you are going to need something with a substantial (i.e. heavy) base. That's just thermodynamics at work. Also "point" flames like those from the Pocket Rocket style stoves don't help so consider something with a broader flame so the heat is distributed better to begin with.
This is one of the reasons I like the HE. The Heat Exchanger part seems to achieve a better spread of heat.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks for all the food for thought... this one isn't too wide a base. Hard ground anodized... shirley my pocket rocket might be ok for it

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... pot-p10796

Failing that I might just go with the Olympus...
JackT

Post by JackT »

Trangia Duossal series are good. It's bonded alu and stainless so supposedly combines the best characteristics of each. And no non stick teflon type coatings that tend to delaminate.

I have a small size Duossal frying pan which works well for actual cooking, with the right stove. Pots also available.