Budget Tour of the Montañasvacias

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

Budget Tour of the Montañasvacias

Post by pistonbroke »

...provided you've got a very big budget!
We've been toying with the idea of a trip to Patagonia once things normalise, I found a company based in Madrid which was advertising a bikepacking trip of about 12 days and registered my interest in order to see a more detailled itinerary. Since then they've sent me various emails with other forthcoming trips, mainly in South America. Today I received details of a trip they're running in August :shock: which runs for 6 days and is 400km so about 2/3 of the full route. For the bargain price of €1650 they will guide you and presumably tuck you up in bed at the end of each day. When 5 of us did the whole route 18 months ago, I bet the total cost for all of us including flights for 4 didn't come anywhere near this. To be fair, they have actually recced the proposed route and asked Ernesto's permission to use his extensive route info but still I fail to grasp how they can justify the cost.
For those wishing to sign up, here's the link https://pa-cycling.cc/montanas-vacias-b ... g/#booking
Cheeky Monkey

Re: Budget Tour of the Montañasvacias

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

but still I fail to grasp how they can justify the cost
Because "price" does not equal "value" :wink:

How's the puppy anyway?
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

She's doing fine, acts like she's on springs. I posted a little Gif on here that I did the other day of her running with the bike. Only been to the end of the drive so far but she seems keen to follow me when riding. It's warming up here now so careful not to overdo it. Balmy 25° today :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

pistonbroke wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:09 pm She's doing fine, acts like she's on springs. I posted a little Gif on here that I did the other day of her running with the bike. Only been to the end of the drive so far but she seems keen to follow me when riding. It's warming up here now so careful not to overdo it. Balmy 25° today :-bd
It hailed recently here. You can FOAD with your balmy 25 degrees :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

.. and saw the clip - gotta love a puppy :-bd
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

A few of us have still got flight vouchers to Spain to do a reasonable chunk of that route, which was planned for last year. It looks brilliant. Not happening this year so. Roll on 2022. :shock: We weren't planning on spending quite that much either.
I'm just going outside ...
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I was aware that your trip last year was scuppered Brown Dog, where were/are you flying to? Teruel isn't the easiest place to get to, in fact there was a few months last year that the once a day train up from the coast didn't run due to track maintenance.
rich.mike

Post by rich.mike »

August and Patagonia could be an interesting combo...

I cycled the Carratera Austral in Decmber-January last year and there was snow at the most southerly point.

Highly recommend the trip though, fairly easy logistics, and camping is stop anywhere you want and pitch up - weather might be a bit extreme for a Bivvi though.

EDIT: I have now actually read your post and understand this trip is in Spain :oops:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Sorry, I wasn't clear, the Montañasvacias is in Spain, not far from where I live. The reason for the surprise in them planning an August trip there is that it's likely to be very hot c:35°+ even at the altitude of the route which is 1,000-2,000metres. Their Patagonia trips are in December and January.
Having looked at the itinerary for their Patagonia trip, I'm going to plan myself. They claimed a trip length of 1,000km over 10 riding days but omitted to say that about 400km of that was on boats and the vehicle transfer from the airport! That trip cost over €2,000 excluding flights so doing our own thing seems a no brainer. I'd welcome any tips on places to ride and visit, it's been on my to do list for a long time, even learnt Welsh to help communications :wink:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Balmy 25 degrees...... Pah! Was snowing in the Lakes today, which our collie goes mad for.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

pistonbroke wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:59 pm I was aware that your trip last year was scuppered Brown Dog, where were/are you flying to? Teruel isn't the easiest place to get to, in fact there was a few months last year that the once a day train up from the coast didn't run due to track maintenance.
We were flying into Valencia and collecting a rental van. Can't recall exactly where we planned to leave it, but it was about two hours drive to the start point.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Ok, if you're planning to do this again, I know a safe parking spot in Teruel which is right outside the police HQ.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Cheers for that. Will definitely take you up if we go ahead.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

pistonbroke wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:40 pm ...provided you've got a very big budget!
Today I received details of a trip they're running in August :shock: which runs for 6 days and is 400km so about 2/3 of the full route. For the bargain price of €1650 they will guide you and presumably tuck you up in bed at the end of each day..... cost for all of us including flights for 4 didn't come anywhere near this. To be fair, they have actually recced the proposed route and asked Ernesto's permission to use his extensive route info but still I fail to grasp how they can justify the cost.
For those wishing to sign up, here's the link https://pa-cycling.cc/montanas-vacias-b ... g/#booking
is it the masseur, Fleet of support vehicles.. 🤣
if you can't afford this your not the target Clientele.... maybe aimed at aspiring GravelBankers?
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I know this is a hoary subject that's been discussed many times on here but here goes...
My view fwiw is that there are 3 levels of "event" that multi day trips fall into.
First, there's the ones organised by enthusiasts that love a particular area or challenge and do it for free or a nominal cost to cover out of pocket expenses. Clearly the participants will incur costs getting to the venue and subsisting along the way. I'm thinking of rides like the Turin Nice, Tour Divide, Highland Trail, Welsh Ride Thing and my Spanish Divide trip.
Secondly there are time focussed events with participants who would consider themselves competitors. Entry fees cover a degree of support if things go pear shaped, satellite tracking, local permits or third party liability, trinkets such as t shirts or medals etc. Fees vary considerably from €50 to €500 but generally the organisers won't be appearing on the Forbes rich list anytime soon. Examples are many of the Italian events such as the Italy Divide, Tuscany Trail, French Divide, CAT700, Badlands, UK Divide, Atlas Mountains and Silk Road. Many more popping up all the time.
Lastly are the ones that are clearly a business offer with eyewatering prices which I guess appeal to those time poor cash rich who want everything laid on. They feature slick websites, drone heavy videos and are fully guided. Our favourite purveyor of "how much!I " clothing had a flirtation with this, other boutique companies such as the Service Course and PA are offering trips in far flung places for upwards of €2,000. I guess we are not their target clientelle but it does seem to be pushing the envelope of piss taking. As Scotroutes has commented in the past, there is an element of tw@ tax involved.
Anyway, I guess it's horses for courses, the PA trip to Patagonia that I looked at a couple of months ago is now sold out so someone must have signed up!
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Just to play devil's advocate, if someone from this forum signed up for that trip has much would they get judged?

Big money trips have been around forever, having the cash to enjoy your holiday and the little things shouldn't really be frowned upon, we need people to do that. It's no different to having a nice house, nice car or expensive hobby.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Do you think they'd own up to it? :grin:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

That was sort of what I meant. If someone bought onto that trip, they probably wouldn't own up for fear of being berated! Not enough hardship involved or sleeping in ditches or whatever :shock:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

benp1 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:54 am ... we need people to do that ...
Do *we*? I'm not quite sure who we is, either.

Up to others how they spend their cash and I'm not frowning at anybody (not in a serious, Paddington Bear kinda way anyway). I will admit to finding the idea behind and some of the heavy-schtick outdoorsy marketing of such expensive events amusing at times. Plus, the heavy-duty monetisation of things is kinda depressing, sometimes, though I'd struggle to define or categorize what I mean, but maybe you get my vibe?

Hey ho

HYOH :cool:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

it must be the hire costs of the porsche support vehicles, crew and glamping sites . simples
"we're going on an full outdoor adventure experience, yah, but do you expect me to doss out... like a tramp, so boy scouts?"
it's another world out there. :roll:
tw@ tours indeed
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..