New GPS ideas please.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

robbie

Re: New GPS ideas please.

Post by robbie »

Anyone know the MAH battery on the wahoo roam? I'm currently deciding which to take for ht my etrex or the wahoo roam or both but seems a bit overkill! so would need a decent sized powerbank just to power the roam all the way round.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Lazarus wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:09 pm
1. Pick one that is (quite a lot are nowadays)
2. Possibly true, though I drop my phone frighteningly often, and it seems to survive
3. Depends how you use it. I use mine with the screen switched off til I need it. Battery lasts a good two days unless navigation is really intense.
how you attaching yours to the bars ?Which phone do you use/recommendations?
A Samsung Galaxy S7 Active. Was about £50 off eBay. Apparently dust/waterproof to IP68 and MIL-STD-810G (drop test) compliant.

Something like this:
but with the bar strap cut off and replace with a hypalon strap. Put it on my new full-sus at the weekend for an XC loop with some fast rocky sections, didn't move a bit. I reckon the flexibility in the mount protects in more from the vibration that most normal GPS mounts which are more rigid.

Not saying it's a perfect system, but it works for me.
shutupthepunx

Post by shutupthepunx »

ive not reaf all the posts so this could have been mentioned already.

https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Bat ... 08F73VF8M/

i use rechargable lithium batteries similar to these. charge them off my dynamo
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Cheers i fancy having one as a spare so when i go on multidays I can have it as backup[ would have a phone anyway so no weight penalty and cheaper than redundant GPS
Also think a phone sized screen is needed for actual route spotting /planning
Cheers for your help
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Lazarus wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:56 am
Cheers i fancy having one as a spare so when i go on multidays I can have it as backup[ would have a phone anyway so no weight penalty and cheaper than redundant GPS
Also think a phone sized screen is needed for actual route spotting /planning
Cheers for your help

:-bd

Yeah, the big screen with a proper map on it is one of the big advantages for me. Depends how you use it though. Some people just want a line to follow with an arrow on it, though from my experience of riding with people using that technique while I've got the proper map is that you can easily go wrong if you don't have the full picture.

I carry my main phone too, which is a backup navigation device, and the "GPS device" phone is a backup phone.
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

I’ve been using my works mobile (IPhone SE mk2) in an Otterbox Defender case with a universal stick on Quadlock fitting plus Quadlock handlebar mount.
This set is cumbersome takes up a lot of space but is quite secure.
Using Komoot routing can be a bit hit and miss, but I've been using it mainly on the road and the more you use it the better it’s supposed to get .
I wanted to try it as a cheaper alternative to Garmin, which I have at present too (E-Trex) Tempted to go back to Garmin but maybe 530, it will be interesting to see how you get on with it.
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

I had my Garmin Edge 530 on a trip yesterday following a course for 17.5 hours with 20% Backlight always on and there was still 35% battery at the end.
If I do need to top it up it seems to charge quite quickly from a power bank and I usually do this at a short stop or on a section of the route that I don't need it to navigate with.
Huwblut

Post by Huwblut »

I’ve been following this thread closely as my Etrex 30X has died and is out of warranty

It looks like the Edge 530 is the the least worst option. Does anyone know if I’m able use the existing OS mapping card I had in the Etrex in the 530 please?

Also my laptop died recently and was replaced with an iPad Air 4. Can I assume that all downloading of routes to the 530 is done via wifi not a cable as I’m pretty sure they’re not compatible?

Do I need the Garmin Express or Connect app?

Cheers

Huw
robbie

Post by robbie »

My Etrex has played started playing up today after a very wet ride. It will not save and export track. I just keep getting a track archive error message. I have tried deleting some tracks as thought it could be storage issue, turning it off on a few times. Never had a problem with it before. Looks like it will be the Wahoo roam for ht now.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Huwblut wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:24 pm I’ve been following this thread closely as my Etrex 30X has died and is out of warranty

It looks like the Edge 530 is the the least worst option. Does anyone know if I’m able use the existing OS mapping card I had in the Etrex in the 530 please?

Also my laptop died recently and was replaced with an iPad Air 4. Can I assume that all downloading of routes to the 530 is done via wifi not a cable as I’m pretty sure they’re not compatible?

Do I need the Garmin Express or Connect app?

Cheers

Huw
The 530 will sync via Garmin Connect. You can also plug it into a USB port and drag and drop files. It comes with maps installed. There looks to be room to install other maps but no slot for micro SD card.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

robbie wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:00 pm My Etrex has played started playing up today after a very wet ride. It will not save and export track. I just keep getting a track archive error message... . Looks like it will be the Wahoo roam for ht now.
No
try this first.

if you suspect water damage.
1. turn it off. ideally remove battery. straight away.
2.poly Bag it up with fresh dry rice leave on a radiator. seal bag.
3 the rice will a sort moisture, from the device as it warms up.
4. leave it overnight.
5. hopeful it will work for you. :-bd

I has saved a few teenager phones etc.
6. thank me by feeding the bear.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

The rice method has been debunked multiple times as potentially making things worse. Dust can get into the phone/gps and mush up. The advice is now to open it and displace water with alcohol.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Out of curiosity, what % proof does the alcohol need to be? I only ask because I've killed an electrical device by spilling a pint of beer over it :grin:
Gpl23

Post by Gpl23 »

So basically the advice is cover your electricals in beer and curry and your good to go. :cool:
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Cat litter (clean obviously) Instead of rice..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Wotsits wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:46 pm Cat litter (clean obviously) Instead of rice..
right, thanks for the warning, I suppose that means any dried groceries. or paper bag/ kitchen roll/old buff as a buffer?
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

ledburner wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:21 pm
Wotsits wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:46 pm Cat litter (clean obviously) Instead of rice..
right, thanks for the warning, I suppose that means any dried groceries. or paper bag/ kitchen roll/old buff as a buffer?
Not sure if a buffer will help, have a google or a quick read through this-
https://smartphones.gadgethacks.com/how ... e-0154799/
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Huwblut wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:24 pm Does anyone know if I’m able use the existing OS mapping card I had in the Etrex in the 530 please?
An update on this as I've bought a Garmin 530 last week: yes, my old iOffer SD card Garmin 50k OS maps .img file, dropped straight into the 'Garmin' folder on the 530 works.

To say I am happy about that would be an understatement :grin:
PXL_20211001_112038870-01.jpeg
PXL_20211001_112038870-01.jpeg (139.54 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Dyffers wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:30 pm
Huwblut wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:24 pm Does anyone know if I’m able use the existing OS mapping card I had in the Etrex in the 530 please?
An update on this as I've bought a Garmin 530 last week: yes, my old iOffer SD card Garmin 50k OS maps .img file, dropped straight into the 'Garmin' folder on the 530 works.

To say I am happy about that would be an understatement :grin:

PXL_20211001_112038870-01.jpeg
Be careful it doesn't 'disappear' after an update..
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Richpips wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:07 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:12 pm Why not simply carry some spare AA batteries?
I used to happily do just that. Then I thought how wasteful it was ecologically never mind the cost of the lithiums.
In a Garmin Oregon 700 there is a small rubber dimple between the batteries, might be on other Oregon xx0 models
cut a small piece of card that will press down the dimple with the batteries installed
install NiMH batteies with card in place

Now the Garmin "believes" the expensive Garmin rechargable pack is installed, essentially the metal clasp pressed down the dimple

When finished riding plug the Oregon into a USB pack and the Oregon will charge the installed batteries.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Asposium wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:03 pm
Richpips wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:07 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:12 pm Why not simply carry some spare AA batteries?
I used to happily do just that. Then I thought how wasteful it was ecologically never mind the cost of the lithiums.
In a Garmin Oregon 700 there is a small rubber dimple between the batteries, might be on other Oregon xx0 models
cut a small piece of card that will press down the dimple with the batteries installed
install NiMH batteies with card in place

Now the Garmin "believes" the expensive Garmin rechargable pack is installed, essentially the metal clasp pressed down the dimple

When finished riding plug the Oregon into a USB pack and the Oregon will charge the installed batteries.
hey good workaround.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

PaulB2 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:12 pm Out of curiosity, what % proof does the alcohol need to be? I only ask because I've killed an electrical device by spilling a pint of beer over it :grin:
Cask strength (what a shame it would be) :grin:

For best results, bathe it in 30 %, then 60 %, then 90 % (or 96 %), rather than jumping right to the pure ethanol.