New GPS ideas please.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AlasdairMc

Re: New GPS ideas please.

Post by AlasdairMc »

I have a USB charger for 2 AA or AAA batteries that I got from IKEA for around a fiver. I reckon with some waterproofing and clever cable management it would be ideal on the bike when paired with a Sinewave Revolution and an eTrex, both of which I own.

It would be interesting to see if I could fully charge two batteries in a day of riding though, otherwise it’s pointless.
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

I find Wahoo Elemnt Bolt absolutely fine, although sometimes would like the larger screen of the Roam.

They are best when you have a route to follow, as the mapping screen is sparse otherwise but when following a route I find it surerior to Garmin.

While you can't get OS maps on them, assuming you always have a phone just use the OS app if it's just for occasional use and to confirm location or path types.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

AlasdairMc wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:19 pm I have a USB charger for 2 AA or AAA batteries that I got from IKEA for around a fiver. I reckon with some waterproofing and clever cable management it would be ideal on the bike when paired with a Sinewave Revolution and an eTrex, both of which I own.

It would be interesting to see if I could fully charge two batteries in a day of riding though, otherwise it’s pointless.
Yep, it's a concept can't be arsed with the faff though.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

AlasdairMc wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:19 pm I have a USB charger for 2 AA or AAA batteries that I got from IKEA for around a fiver. I reckon with some waterproofing and clever cable management it would be ideal on the bike when paired with a Sinewave Revolution and an eTrex, both of which I own.

I think we'll all be interested in the results of that test when you publish the results Alasdair... :wink: :lol:

Edit: there's also the EBL USB batteries - the ones you just plug in to recharge. Not sure how long they'd last in the Garmin though.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:41 pm Edit: there's also the EBL USB batteries - the ones you just plug in to recharge. Not sure how long they'd last in the Garmin though.
They look pretty good - 2.2 Ah which is nearly as good as the 'normal' NiMH AA's at 2.8 Ah.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have a set. Not done an endurance test in the Oregon yet though.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:28 pm
FWIW I'm currently using Eneloop Pros in my Oregon and get 15-16 hours usage per set. An advantage of the Eneloops is that I can stash a spare set in a bag or rucksack without having to worry about freshly recharging before each trip.
yes agreed, my experience Also have been recommended IKEA AA Ladda 2450, as almost as good as Eleloops. (Eneloop charger manages 4 batteries as Individuals cells, not as pairs like most.)
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
FLV

Post by FLV »

Interesting thread.

I have an etrex30 and an edge explore.
Both are semi useless if I try to us OS maps. Really slow, stuttery when riding and then seeing an overall view with my old eyes is no good on the tiny screen. I pretty much always have the OS maps switched off.
I've taken to using the phone with OS downloaded to do map checks. More of a pain in the wet.

My edge, when used in battery save mode regularly freezes up and wont switch on/off screen wont come on etc etc. Sometimes it comes back with the ride still tracked sometimes it just shuts down and never comes back until plugged in.
Running without battery save, its only good for 1 long day.

The etrex with good batteries is a good unit for breadcrumb trails with the advantages of AA batteries being available. But the last 2 pairs of lithium's I used have only lasted 12-16 hours each whereas they used to last 35-45 hours approx.
I am going to try some re-chargables on the next trip, just bought some 2500mah ones which 'should' last ok.

I don't use a dynamo hub and wont as I have 3 bikes and prefer to just pop the gps on if I want to follow a route (sometimes I do, sometimes I don't)

To be honest, I am getting a bit fed up of charging my life up lately, :lol:
Might have a trip with maps, though I do know that slows progress.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Yes the Ikea Ladda batteries are excellent, right on par with Eneloops

I also have the Ikea USB AA/AAA charger, I find it's OK but not amazing. Perfectly functional though
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I use maps, yes it slows progress, yes it's a lot more faff, but I find it lets
You relate more to your surroundings, part of a trip for me is faffing over the map
Beforehand and then interpreting that onto the ground. I do have a Magellan gps300
That I can use if I'm err....misplaced :grin: but that gives me a ref that I can
Relate to the map, get a bearing etc. I find that nowadays ( boners not included)
I read more and more of people "lost" on days out in relatively accessible locations,
Mainly due to relying on smartphones to navigate them, this puts a strain
On M.R/ S.A.R teams etc. Now I know what you'll say, if it's raining a maps a pain,
I say, stop, find cover/tarp, brew up, check map and most of all enjoy :-bd :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Might have a trip with maps, though I do know that slows progress.
Sometimes, it's nice not to rush.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

thenorthwind wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:32 pm One more time with feeling:
I don't actually disagree with this. I think the market is crying out for someone to hybrid the GPS with a phone and Android is the ideal platform to do it. It needs someone to work real hard on a simple user interface as apps are too faffy in my opinion. Meld the convenience of a single button "go" on a GPS with the flexibility/hackability of Android, sort out external charging reliably and we'd be there.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Most phone-based navigation apps work OK without a mobile data signal don't they? So long as you've downloaded the maps for the area you're riding in?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Mine needs a GPS signal and that is all as maps are on the phone anyway
1. phone tends to not be waterproof
2.Phone is more fragile than a GPS in a crash for example
3.Phone uses way more power than a GPS-screen uses most of the power though

I do agree an android based GPS would be excellent and given how cheap they can make phones it should be a decent price
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Richpips wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:57 am I've been using Garmin GPS since the beginning and they've been OK.

That is until I've taken to remotely powering them. I've had a dakota and 2 oregons fail at the port.

So, does anyone have any experience of Wahoo, Hammerhead etc.

Must have decent size screen and can be externally powered.

Thanks!
Reading this I do wonder why even bother with any other brands? They all have the same issue - the way you use the port.

I'd focus on finding a position in which the gps can be charged and used for navigation with as little risk as possible of getting any force on the port.

I've come away from AA, AAA etc. many years ago and don't look back. The story of being able to purchase AA/AAA in even the most remote part... well... I feel I've been to a few remote places (on four different continents) and never ran into any kind of issue with my powerbanks/gps/InReach/torches/smart phone/camera charged from a SON hub coupled with a "Forumslader my2019".

For trips where my life depends on these electronic devices I have a compact solar panel as a back up. Thankfully, on the last such trip I also left the bike (for a couple of days) to climb some mountains, so it was more than handy to have the solar panel anyways...
And in such cases I still have some sorts of paper maps to fill the evenings in the tent, to wrap food in, to use for other daft things, especially once I drop off the map. If possible/sensible, I burn the paper maps with the toilet paper.
AlasdairMc wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:19 pm It would be interesting to see if I could fully charge two batteries in a day of riding though, otherwise it’s pointless.
I get quite precicely 1 % charged on the battery of my phone (3000 mAh) by riding 1 km. I've seen this in many different conditions (cold/hot climate, riding slow/"fast", even pushing).
The charger is connected directly to the dyno hub, not after the front light - makes a huge difference. I found out the "hard way" (charging became more than twice as efficient as before).
Or, spliced cable, but front light switched off (only worked with former Supernova lamps as far as far experience goes).
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Richpips wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:02 pm A Garmin 530 and a piggyback battery is looking good at the moment......
I went with that just over a year ago and am well pleased.
Together you get up to 35 or 37 hours run time, so great endurance. On long rides I intermittently charge the power pack from my dynamo and the whole thing just keeps on going.
On short trips I use the spare mAh from the charge pack to top up my phone.
Like the Wahoo you can make a route in an app like Strava, have it appear automatically on the unit and automatically upload the ride when you are done.
It’s a world away from the faff of an etrex or Oregon.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

lune ranger wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:27 pm
you can make a route in an app like Strava, have it appear automatically on the unit and automatically upload the ride when you are done.
I'm currently using Komoot for routes (I don't pay for Strava Premium) and they show up automatically on my Oregon. Similarly with Mapmyride etc
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:40 pm
you can make a route in an app like Strava, have it appear automatically on the unit and automatically upload the ride when you are done.
I'm currently using Komoot for routes (I don't pay for Strava Premium) and they show up automatically on my Oregon. Similarly with Mapmyride etc
That’s great.
I couldn’t do that with the Oregon I owned a few years ago. Things move on :-bd
I think the whole auto upload/download thing is fairly universal now by the sound of things.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Thankfully my Oregon 700 talks to Garmin Connect wirelessly so I managed to upload my rides to Strava / Komoot.

I've ordered a Garmin 530. :-bd
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:46 am
I don't actually disagree with this. I think the market is crying out for someone to hybrid the GPS with a phone and Android is the ideal platform to do it. It needs someone to work real hard on a simple user interface as apps are too faffy in my opinion. Meld the convenience of a single button "go" on a GPS with the flexibility/hackability of Android, sort out external charging reliably and we'd be there.
Not sure how many GPS/Phone hybrid boxes it ticks, but this is available-

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/11352 ... 0-01065-01
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

lune ranger wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:16 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:40 pm
That’s great.
I couldn’t do that with the Oregon I owned a few years ago. Things move on :-bd
I think the whole auto upload/download thing is fairly universal now by the sound of things.
Yeah - the simplified upload/download was my main reason for upgrading from the 600 to the 700.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:46 am
Agreed, with a few hardware (e.g. dedicated physical buttons for zoom, etc.) and software (i.e. getting rid of unnecessary bloat) changes, you'd solve a lot of the problems. Isn't that basically what Hammerhead GPS devices are? Haven't looked into them but a mate had one and that was the idea I got.
Landslide wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:05 am Most phone-based navigation apps work OK without a mobile data signal don't they? So long as you've downloaded the maps for the area you're riding in?
Yup.
Lazarus wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:19 am Mine needs a GPS signal and that is all as maps are on the phone anyway
1. phone tends to not be waterproof
2.Phone is more fragile than a GPS in a crash for example
3.Phone uses way more power than a GPS-screen uses most of the power though

I do agree an android based GPS would be excellent and given how cheap they can make phones it should be a decent price
1. Pick one that is (quite a lot are nowadays)
2. Possibly true, though I drop my phone frighteningly often, and it seems to survive
3. Depends how you use it. I use mine with the screen switched off til I need it. Battery lasts a good two days unless navigation is really intense.
Wotsits wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:36 pm Not sure how many GPS/Phone hybrid boxes it ticks, but this is available-

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/11352 ... 0-01065-01
Looks the same idea... but without the economy of scale you get with a more common Android device it's bloody spendy.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

1. Pick one that is (quite a lot are nowadays)
2. Possibly true, though I drop my phone frighteningly often, and it seems to survive
3. Depends how you use it. I use mine with the screen switched off til I need it. Battery lasts a good two days unless navigation is really intense.
how you attaching yours to the bars ?Which phone do you use/recommendations?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Just been to the Hammerhead site..
We believe in enabling improvement through the power of fitness.
Aye...

Right...
Gpl23

Post by Gpl23 »

I use my old mobile phone as I only use komoot routes on offline mode and 3 spare phone batteries, being an old phone the batteries are cheap. I only need it to connect to my home network when adding routes as it doesn't have its own Internet. My normal phone I will use in emergencies if I get lost but it usually stays safe in my pocket while my old phone is mounted on bars. It doesn't matter if it gets damaged. I'm still unwilling to splash so much cash on a clunky GPS.