Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GregMay

Re: HT550 2021

Post by GregMay »

Agreed
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

^ this. They must be getting close now, Mart was about 10 miles out 1 hr 45 min ago. Trep's last ping was over 8 hours ago and I think she might be ahead of Mart? So might be very close or finished.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Well done Mart/Trep... They must be able to smell the finishline already. What an amazing achievement and strength of character :-bd
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Go Mart go!
slarge

Post by slarge »

journeyman wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:55 am Go Mart go!
When did you get in Johnny?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Marts dot is bouncing! I suspect Trep is with him??
:-bd
substandard

Post by substandard »

ChrisF wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:08 pm
First 3 (or 4) bikes and some info on em

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/pro- ... 550-bikes/
It looks like Liam has stretched his chain a bit (not surprising really...)
It looks worse that it is in the pic I think as the chain is falling on the front chainring. FairPlay though that chain will have taken some abuse!
redefined_cycles

htrider wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:44 am Marts dot is bouncing! I suspect Trep is with him??
:cool: :-bd
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Hi Steve I got your tracker across the line yesterday at about mid day. Yay! Javi jumped out a Bush at the finish with a beer, its the quickest hangover I've ever achieved. I had an exciting ride, peppered with all sorts of mini epics. Met Mart on his superb bike nr Drumbeg and Andrea in Glen Golly. They were on great form. Johnny.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Trepwatch: finished!

Tired but happy, being plied with haggis. I'm sure more details will emerge in due course.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Good stuff and good result from BB participants.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I rode back across the WHW from Kingshouse to Bridge of Orchy yesterday (returning from my own little adventure) and wondered if I'd see anyone but didn't. My sole encounter was with somebody heading north on a bikepacking equipped bike and another guy on an ebike and hordes of sweaty, limping walkers. It was absolutely heaving with people from Kingshouse South which also precluded my stopping at the Real Food Cafe on my drive home to see if I could put any faces to names. Great that the weather turned fair for the folk who were out for a little longer and well done to everyone who rode.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Well done to the finishers I missed over the weekend. Agree that the whole thing ain't over til the last rider is round, and those that have spent a week plugging away at it deserve just as much respect as those machines that can power round sub 4 days. Glad you got rewarded with a little bit of sunshine.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Well done all!
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Can I congratulate Greg on the rubbish commentary he's done yet again this year.

Having a pop at dotwatcher.cc where yep, just like you the person who commentates has a full-time job is poor show.

Snide bullying.

Pathetic.

Edit : see Twitter
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Richpips wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:33 pm Can I congratulate Greg on the rubbish commentary he's done yet again this year.

Having a pop at dotwatcher.cc where yep, just like you the person who commentates has a full-time job is poor show.

Snide bullying.

Pathetic.

Thanks Rich! I was busy having a job and not spending every moment of my day in front of a computer.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

GregMay wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:47 pm
Richpips wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:33 pm Can I congratulate Greg on the rubbish commentary he's done yet again this year.

Snide bullying.

Pathetic.

Thanks Rich! I was busy having a job and not spending every moment of my day in front of a computer.
As I said Grace who fronted the dotwatcher commentary has a full time job (not for dotwatching), just like you.

Feel free to disagree but what have you contributed in insight etc over the years, except to say " oh look there's another scratcher"

Nothing.

Rather than arguing with me, I'd apologise to Grace.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Oh and if you went to look on twitter ye, there is now something missing.

FLV

Post by FLV »

Can we leave Twitter arguments on twitter maybe?

No matter right or wrong, arguing on the internet won't solve anything.
If you both really want to fall out, just ignore each other and then rest of us needn't suffer 😄

Blah blah blah.

Well done again to all who entered and started, regardless of finish times or even finishing.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Across the line yesterday, very happy to have finally finished this journey to get round the Highland Trail
My main goal was to finish and never clock watched at all round the course. Very surprised at 9d2h (ish)
It’s taken 3 attempts, thwarted my weather, bike and body issues but this time was different
we got every weather at the start. cold, wet, hail and snow in the first few days but then the promised sun. the only problem was you now had to carry the layers you took off.

Finishing day was tiring and slow but just kept plodding. Bike handled it all beautifully. only 1 puncture at a water bar on the WHW, where i was tired and riding like a donkey. own fault really. i’ve got swollen hobbit feet now i’ve stopped, and tender achilles, nothing major

it was great seeing Johnny and Trep from time to time along the way. i only rode a little with them prefer to be at own pace. but great to hear the stories of highs and lows. some amazing adventures

woke up at 4am again this morning, only this time not riding ....... sigh .... I miss it already
The last few days weather were pure magic
2924 miles per Gallon
Mart

Post by Mart »

FLV wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:03 am whats going on with Marts tracker. It shows his dot going the wrong way the road all night slowly.

I got very dehydrated, to the point where i couldn’t eat or drink without feeling sick. looking back this was a combination of things i didn’t notice happening at the time, building up over the previous 36hrs. so went down to Achness hotel in Invercassley expecting to scratch in the morning

woke up after recouperatin, inhaled breakfast and got back on it, rode back up to rejoin
2924 miles per Gallon
redefined_cycles

Mart wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:46 am
FLV wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:03 am whats going on with Marts tracker. It shows his dot going the wrong way the road all night slowly.

I got very dehydrated, to the point where i couldn’t eat or drink without feeling sick. looking back this was a combination of things i didn’t notice happening at the time, building up over the previous 36hrs. so went down to Achness hotel in Invercassley expecting to scratch in the morning

woke up after recouperatin, inhaled breakfast and got back on it, rode back up to rejoin
Mart... you absolutely hard so and so... Well done. I feel part of that journey due to being there when you went to try out Karls bike. Amazing feat and watching yours and Treps journey has encouraged me to go try (not HT, sorry) the Cambrian Trail 100 miler thingy...

Enjoy the rest and I do hope some people might include the after effects of the ride and the slow drive/trip back home from the finish point. Fascinating stuff...
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Well done Mart 👍👍👍
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

went down to Achness hotel in Invercassley expecting to scratch in the morning

Mega. ❤️
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Mart wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:21 am Across the line yesterday, very happy to have finally finished this journey to get round the Highland Trail
My main goal was to finish and never clock watched at all round the course. Very surprised at 9d2h (ish)
It’s taken 3 attempts, thwarted my weather, bike and body issues but this time was different
we got every weather at the start. cold, wet, hail and snow in the first few days but then the promised sun. the only problem was you now had to carry the layers you took off.

Finishing day was tiring and slow but just kept plodding. Bike handled it all beautifully. only 1 puncture at a water bar on the WHW, where i was tired and riding like a donkey. own fault really. i’ve got swollen hobbit feet now i’ve stopped, and tender achilles, nothing major

it was great seeing Johnny and Trep from time to time along the way. i only rode a little with them prefer to be at own pace. but great to hear the stories of highs and lows. some amazing adventures

woke up at 4am again this morning, only this time not riding ....... sigh .... I miss it already
The last few days weather were pure magic
That's brilliant. congratulations on finishing Mart. 9 days is a fair shift in the saddle, enjoy the rest!