HT550 2021

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Re: HT550 2021

Post by benp1 »

Proper superhuman efforts here

I agree with the above, while the front runners are unbelievable, the folks with slower times just grafting there way through is almost more impressive :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Well done Mart and glad you finally did it. :-bd
I had a few dehydration issues which is nigh on unfathomable given how much rain was falling on the Monday. Something Huw Oliver said to me at the finish - when its hot and sunny your always thinking of drinking so you do. When its cold and wet you don't think about drinking and end up dehydrated....
slarge

Post by slarge »

Huge congratulations to Mart, Trep and Journeyman (and all the others). It's been a welcome relief from work to watch the dots whilst re-imagining the bits you are riding / pushing / swearing your way through. It's a fantastic event / route and I hope you have brilliant memories of it.
psling

Post by psling »

Mart wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:21 am
woke up at 4am again this morning, only this time not riding ....... sigh .... I miss it already
That line says so much and I'm sure many of us can identify with it.
The highs and the lows, the pleasure and the pain, the mental ups and downs. The euphoria of finishing, the wave of exhaustion and then that incomprehensible need to continue, to carry on :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

Landslide wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:11 pm Trep is enjoying the Ledmore traverse so much that she sent no fewer than 4 messages saying "this path is a bitch".
Oops did I? Probably because I had to stand up and wave my arm in the air to send a text!
Trepid Explorer: Warmth with less bulk
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

Well, that was a pleasant read.

Thanks Landslide for filling in (some of) the dots. I accidentally had my tracker set to ping in my Check Ins only. Then after I'd started the event, Trackleaders wouldn't update the settings. I tried to check in as often as possible but it didn't always transmit in time.

Yes Monday's weather was atrocious but at least this year we knew it would clear. Trust me, there was no intentional prolongation! In fact I sprinted to the line to avoid being swept up on the way back by a man in a van and transported back to Sheffield kicking and screaming.

Unbelievable achievement by Liam. I'm not sure I'd get that average speed out of a road ride!

You saw it here first write up.
https://trepidexplorer.blogspot.com/202 ... -2021.html

That's a wrap for the HT 2021.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
Great tale Trep and well done. I'm very jealous of the weather you had on the Bealach Horn and through Fisherfield!
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Well done on getting your write-up done so quickly, Trep - think it took me months! Really enjoyed it, especially as a culmination of your blog posts building up to it over the last couple of years. It was great to see your dot get all the way round - in a few weeks you will start thinking about all those opportunities to save time and get you down to the 8 day mark...
ton

Post by ton »

brilliant read that Trep. just brilliant. and well done.
landel

Post by landel »

Great write up, well done and thanks for sharing.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

TrepidExplorer wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:49 am Well, that was a pleasant read.

Thanks Landslide for filling in (some of) the dots. I accidentally had my tracker set to ping in my Check Ins only. Then after I'd started the event, Trackleaders wouldn't update the settings. I tried to check in as often as possible but it didn't always transmit in time.

Yes Monday's weather was atrocious but at least this year we knew it would clear. Trust me, there was no intentional prolongation! In fact I sprinted to the line to avoid being swept up on the way back by a man in a van and transported back to Sheffield kicking and screaming.

Unbelievable achievement by Liam. I'm not sure I'd get that average speed out of a road ride!

You saw it here first write up.
https://trepidexplorer.blogspot.com/202 ... -2021.html

That's a wrap for the HT 2021.
This is one of the most engaging and brilliant pieces of cycling writing I’ve ever read. Fantastic achievement and having just walked a load of the trails you describe I felt your pain.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Yup, That was gripping :-bd . Well done on the ride, too.
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

Damn, :oops:

:-bd thanks guys
touch

Post by touch »

Good write up!

I would guess that the strange bird noises you heard might be Snipes "drumming". I heard some recently at Achmelvich and again at Shenavall - both times just after sunset. I'd never heard a bird noise like that before and after a lot of searching (it's difficult to try and describe a noise to Google :lol: ) I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuDZVc5agFU
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've heard them a lot on the Orkneys and the Western Isles - I did wonder what the hell it was at first!
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

[quote=touch post_id=263977 time=1623415658 user_id=1747
I would guess that the strange bird noises you heard might be Snipes "drumming". I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuDZVc5agFU
[/quote]

Thank you! This had me wondering too! That’s the noise I was hearing!
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

I thought I heard a strange bird noises in Fisherfield. Was genuinely puzzled all the way up the HaB, but it turned out to be Nick B’s Wahoo bleeping to say he was moving too slowly :lol: :lol:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Dunno if it's been mentioned here but Bikes or Death Podcast Patrick has interviewed Liam Glen and it's up and available to listen to on various podcast outlets. It's not a bad listen if you have a spare hour and a bit.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ChrisS wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:57 pm I thought I heard a strange bird noises in Fisherfield. Was genuinely puzzled all the way up the HaB, but it turned out to be Nick B’s Wahoo bleeping to say he was moving too slowly :lol: :lol:
We heard cuckoos all the way round. Eventually me and John Fettes reckoned it was the same one after Mike T
Boab

Post by Boab »

There's also a video (~45 mins) on off-road.cc, where Matt (mattpage) interviews Liam - Video: Interview with Liam Glenn - 2021 Highland Trail 550 winner
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Jurassic wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:03 pm Dunno if it's been mentioned here but Bikes or Death Podcast Patrick has interviewed Liam Glen and it's up and available to listen to on various podcast outlets. It's not a bad listen if you have a spare hour and a bit.
It was interesting to hear Liam, but I just couldn't past the grating American to listen to the whole thing. I nearly choked on my coffee when Liam said he works for Airbus and the guy asked "what is an Airbus? That like an airplane?"
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:50 pm
Jurassic wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:03 pm Dunno if it's been mentioned here but Bikes or Death Podcast Patrick has interviewed Liam Glen and it's up and available to listen to on various podcast outlets. It's not a bad listen if you have a spare hour and a bit.
It was interesting to hear Liam, but I just couldn't past the grating American to listen to the whole thing. I nearly choked on my coffee when Liam said he works for Airbus and the guy asked "what is an Airbus? That like an airplane?"
I know what you mean (especially the Airbus bit) but I still quite enjoyed it. I don't mind Patrick Farnsworth, he obviously has a muricacentric view of things but I think he makes a decent effort to understand what goes on elsewhere. The fact he was dot watching HT 550 kinda makes that point.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

I did enjoy the bit about borrowing the rear wheel:

"You should buy him a beer to say thanks"

"I certainly need to buy him some hub bearings"

:lol:
Mart

Post by Mart »

htrider wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:41 pm
ChrisS wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:57 pm I thought I heard a strange bird noises in Fisherfield. Was genuinely puzzled all the way up the HaB, but it turned out to be Nick B’s Wahoo bleeping to say he was moving too slowly :lol: :lol:
We heard cuckoos all the way round. Eventually me and John Fettes reckoned it was the same one after Mike T
I have a theory …… When you leave Tyndrum you get assigned a cuckoo, who follows you the whole way round.
2924 miles per Gallon
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Mart wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:36 pm
htrider wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:41 pm
I have a theory …… When you leave Tyndrum you get assigned a cuckoo, who follows you the whole way round.
:lol: Certainly seemed that way