HT550 2021

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

journeyman

Re: HT550 2021

Post by journeyman »

I think one of the most inspiring rides was Adrian Baskerville when he completed in 2019 - just a caffeine powered amphibian. Nails.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I also think there is a sweet spot in terms of finishing time. Under 4 1/2 days and you hurt yourself, over 6 1/2 days and it becomes a war of attrition as you have been out for so long.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Finishing is definitely a mind game. Just look at the finishers from 2019 and you can see that those with grim determination finished and those without didn't. Kit was part of it, but those with the determination either had the kit or made best use of what they found along the way. The others used the weather or lack of kit as a (good) excuse to bail.

Get the mindset right and the rest will follow! :-bd
robbie

Post by robbie »

htrider wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:25 pm I also think there is a sweet spot in terms of finishing time. Under 4 1/2 days and you hurt yourself, over 6 1/2 days and it becomes a war of attrition as you have been out for so long.
So I'm now aiming for a five and a half days finish after reading that :lol:

Bike just keeps getting heavier! but I'm going to finish not to race, well race myself I suppose, taking a bivy and tarp, if the weather looks bad I'll also chuck in a small groundsheet.
baring any injuries this will be mostly mental challange for me.
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

All the best people finish in 5 1/2 days :wink:

https://highlanddrifter.com/highland-trail-550-2018

I'd put myself at the unfit end of the HT550 scale, but got through by just plodding on regardless, even when I was going nowhere fast. I did a lot more night riding than I expected to, but it helped me catch up with the pack each night before they all buggered off in the morning :grin:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I would say that the 5 - 5 1/2 day range also means you hit all the re-supply stops when they are open.
Start times sent out will update nearer the time.
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

On a slightly different note can anyone tell me how long a pair of AA lithium batteries will last in a etrex 30? Am i right in thinking its about 16hrs? Remember Ian Fitz working it out and posting it in a previous ht550 thread but I cant find it. if im right that will be 5 pairs ill need. Ive used sp dynamo revo light igaru and battery bank faffaganzer before but looking to keep it simple
Last edited by journeyman on Tue May 11, 2021 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

Or may be 6 pairs :lol:
Verena

Post by Verena »

journeyman wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:39 pm On a slightly different note can anyone tell me how long a pair of AA lithium batteries will last in a etrex 30? Am i right in thinking its about 16hrs?
Longer than that surely? Two or three days at least, even non lithium ones lasted me two 12 hour ish days
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I get that in my Oregon and I think that's a bit more power hungry.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Verena wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:53 am Longer than that surely? Two or three days at least, even non lithium ones lasted me two 12 hour ish days
Two 12 hour days isn't the same as lasting 24 hours though as they recover slightly when off?

My rechargeable ones will last just about 30 hours non-stop use, depending on the backlight settings and the number of times I use the menus etc.

I took 4 spare pairs in 2018 (lithiums) and finished with a set unused I think, 5 day finish. In 2019 I had switched to rechargeables and only took 4 pairs in total (3 spare pairs) but scratched so didn't even use up the first pair.

You'd be able to buy normal AAs on the way of you get through them quicker than planned,
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My Dakota has a habit of telling you the batteries are getting low but when you switch it on the following day, it's changed its mind.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Also, with the eTrex the batteries last hours after the low-battery warning. I only change mine when they are so flat it shuts off.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

journeyman wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:39 pm On a slightly different note can anyone tell me how long a pair of AA lithium batteries will last in a etrex 30? Am i right in thinking its about 16hrs?
A definite piece of string question :lol:

Not sure about the energy saving options on the Etrex but this page should give you clues as to how to set it most efficiently - https://www.navigation-professionell.de ... -settings/

The navigation on the HT550 is pretty straightforward so for long periods you don't need to be referring to the GPS so the screen can be off. The track of a thousand puddles is a good example: get on track, ride for three or four hours to its end, there's nothing else to turn off onto and get lost! The Corrieyairack is another. The only real nav is while you are in "civilisation" looking for the route.

You've at least eight options (Ft Augustus, Contin, Drumbeg, Lochinver, Ullapool, Dornie FA, Ft William) to purchase AAs en-route, there's probably quite a few more as well.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

I left my etrex 30 on for the whole of the CL300 with Lithium's in it (I was broken after 181k on the first day!).

Was showing 20% left after 37 hours. I was very surprised as I'd packed a spare set and was sure I'd need them! It wasn't particularly cold though.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

On a Dakota 30 hours or so depending on how many times you punch the screen to see where you are. Etrex should be similar or mebbes a bit longer. There are various power saving tips - turn off the compass and the auto calibration of the altimeter, reduce the time out for the backlight, turn off the breadcrumb trail.
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

ive now slimmed down my pile of batteries!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Mart

Post by Mart »

Ok so so I just logged in for a while and great to read some of the entries
I have to say I’m very nervous and getting stressed
I’ve not really done a big ‘race’ before and I’m bricking it.
But looking forward to seeing everyone

Comfortable with the route and what to expect but for me there are a couple of unknowns
- Weather..... I just remember the amount of water last time (I did ITT the week before the event last time) scary crossing streams that were raging
- I remember how broken I was last time, when I scratched. Took me a long time to recover from that.

OK so I know I’m fitter this year, would like to think more experienced and better prepared in terms of kit
My aim is to challenge myself and to get to the end
At the end of the day I just keep reminding myself it’s a trip through some amazing scenery and a few days of just riding my bike
What could be better than that?

Fingers crossed and good luck to you all
2924 miles per Gallon
robbie

Post by robbie »

Well im very glad its not this week!
Things are not going well for me. Bike is ready I hope but after a decent amount of training all through the winter the last 4 weeks have been terrible. Started with some knee pain in my right knee. Soo took it easy lots of stretching and foam roller ouch!!
So last weekend got out for an overnighter with a heavy bike all seemed good :-bd
Woke up yesterday with a slightly frozen shoulder, pain in the top of my right leg and a dull ache in my lower back. By teatime I could hardly stand up sit down etc excruciating pain in my lower back on the right side. Spent a very restless night in pain and my shakedown ride today is out the window. Managed to get an appointment with an osteopath today as my chiropractor is closed. Really hoping he has a quick fix. :roll:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I get loads of odd aches and pains just before a big event, the body's way of telling you not to go bother as it knows what's coming next?

They all disappear once I get started. Hopefully you'll be fixed up in no time.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Might be worth contacting your GP Robbie - they won't see you face to face but based on a friends experience will give you a phone call then prescribe you naproxen or some other NSAID. These can cover a wealth of aches and pains!
Mart wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:48 pm My aim is to challenge myself and to get to the end
At the end of the day I just keep reminding myself it’s a trip through some amazing scenery and a few days of just riding my bike
What could be better than that?
That's pretty much my attitude. Also been fretting about weather, what hotels are open, etc. Just got to take it as it comes.
River levels are very low at the moment....
pete68

Post by pete68 »

I see on twitter that James hayden is coming over to ride. I wondered if travelling difficulties would have prevented him. There's some very fast people on the start list!
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

Mart wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:48 pm But looking forward to seeing everyone
Looking forward to finally meeting you too Mart after being so close together in 2019 ! :-bd

I am getting to Tyndrum By The Way on Thursday night to hopefully minimise the last minute panics!

There are so many unknowns and uncontrollables with these adventures which is what makes them so exciting!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I appear to have remembered the password for the Twitter account. I'll be on and off updating as usual.