Re: HT550 2021

Post by Verena »

Brilliant write up Trep :-bd
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Jurassic wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:57 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:50 pm
Jurassic wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:03 pm Dunno if it's been mentioned here but Bikes or Death Podcast Patrick has interviewed Liam Glen and it's up and available to listen to on various podcast outlets. It's not a bad listen if you have a spare hour and a bit.
It was interesting to hear Liam, but I just couldn't past the grating American to listen to the whole thing. I nearly choked on my coffee when Liam said he works for Airbus and the guy asked "what is an Airbus? That like an airplane?"
I know what you mean (especially the Airbus bit) but I still quite enjoyed it. I don't mind Patrick Farnsworth, he obviously has a muricacentric view of things but I think he makes a decent effort to understand what goes on elsewhere. The fact he was dot watching HT 550 kinda makes that point.
I know, I shouldn't be such a stuck-up British twit. My problem not his, really.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

thenorthwind wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:22 pm
Jurassic wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:57 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:50 pm
Jurassic wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:03 pm Dunno if it's been mentioned here but Bikes or Death Podcast Patrick has interviewed Liam Glen and it's up and available to listen to on various podcast outlets. It's not a bad listen if you have a spare hour and a bit.
It was interesting to hear Liam, but I just couldn't past the grating American to listen to the whole thing. I nearly choked on my coffee when Liam said he works for Airbus and the guy asked "what is an Airbus? That like an airplane?"
I know what you mean (especially the Airbus bit) but I still quite enjoyed it. I don't mind Patrick Farnsworth, he obviously has a muricacentric view of things but I think he makes a decent effort to understand what goes on elsewhere. The fact he was dot watching HT 550 kinda makes that point.
I know, I shouldn't be such a stuck-up British twit. My problem not his, really.
Haha, not at all. I'm probably just acclimatised to American nonsense as my wife's a yank! :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Boab

Post by Boab »

Did Josh Ibbett scratch then...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I saw summat about him and Rich Rothwell DQing themselves, don't know why though.
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

I think Rich used the bothy at Carnmore rather than risk being out in the bad weather on one of the nights, not sure about Josh though?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

JoseMcTavish wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:37 am I think Rich used the bothy at Carnmore rather than risk being out in the bad weather on one of the nights, not sure about Josh though?
Someone at the finish mentioned Rich Rothwell used a bothy and DQ'd himself, dunno about Josh - looks like he did the whole route.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Yeah Rich Rothwell confirmed the other day that Alan had DQ'd him, and presumably Mike DeBernardo, who used the bothy too, as he expected. Not sure about Josh Ibbett though - haven't seen anything to suggest that he would be DQ'd for any reason.
liamg

Post by liamg »

He was DQ'ed for not being self-sufficient on the navigation, ie. following other riders around because his dynamo wouldn't charge his gps.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Ah. Yeah, heard he'd had problems with power.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

TrepidExplorer wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:49 am Well, that was a pleasant read.

Thanks Landslide for filling in (some of) the dots. I accidentally had my tracker set to ping in my Check Ins only. Then after I'd started the event, Trackleaders wouldn't update the settings. I tried to check in as often as possible but it didn't always transmit in time.

Yes Monday's weather was atrocious but at least this year we knew it would clear. Trust me, there was no intentional prolongation! In fact I sprinted to the line to avoid being swept up on the way back by a man in a van and transported back to Sheffield kicking and screaming.

Unbelievable achievement by Liam. I'm not sure I'd get that average speed out of a road ride!

You saw it here first write up.
https://trepidexplorer.blogspot.com/202 ... -2021.html

That's a wrap for the HT 2021.
I finally put two and two together and realised we spoke in the campsite in Tyndrum in 2019. Well done for getting round, and I really enjoyed your write-up. (I had the fatty, the American friend, and the van/scratch taxi)
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

Hi Alasdair. Thanks. A big relief to get round this year. Will be interesting to see how I get on if I combine a decent bike and extra knowledge with the training I'd put in for 2019.

Karl and I kind of hoped we'd see you this year - on the off chance you fancied running a taxi service again!

Do you think you'll give it another go? (Despite my enthusiasm, I'm still undecided) :lol: :lol:
Trepid Explorer: Warmth with less bulk