Wet Gear Query

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Leerowe76

Wet Gear Query

Post by Leerowe76 »

Whats everyone's go to wet gear for when the weather is unrelenting, breathable ish jackets pants etc ? The good the bad & the recommended, let's hear em 👍🏼
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
ScotRoutes

Re: Wet Gear Query

Post by ScotRoutes »

Columbia Outdry jacket is still my favourite when it's pissing.

Other items I'm less successful with.

Waterproof trousers never seem to last long before they're letting in at the arse.

Sealskinz gloves have worked well but the most waterproof are very cumbersome.

I'll double up waterproof boots AND socks when it's bad but for multi-day trips I still like my Goretex socks. They dry quite quickly - usually overnight
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Take up a new past time? :lol:

Rain poggies (uninsulated) for keeping hands & gloves drier.
helmet cover.
gaiters./over boots, cropped over trousers & braces.(suspenders sounds kinky, is it me? :???: )
Good guards & flap to minimise wearing stuff off wheels.
Follow reproofing & garment care blurb. :ugeek:

I've never been impressed with rain shedding or gament durability.. :-O

( :ugeek: Read before purchase if possible.. :ugeek:)
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

rain poggies (uninsulated) for keeping hands & gloves drier.
helmet cover.
gaiters./over boots, cropped over trousers & braces.(suspenders sounds kinky, is it me? :???: )
Good guards & flap to minimise wearing stuff off wheels.
Follow reproofing & garement care instruction. :ugeek:

(:ugeek: Read before purchase if possible.. :ugeek:)
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ton

Post by ton »

columbia outdry jacket. it is the best waterproof i have ever owned for cycling.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Is there a model of the Columbia outdry jacket I'm not seeing as the ones I can see look pretty short in the body and definitely in the backside department? Not a problem?
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Outdry here too.

They're not a cycling cut, unfortunately, but I can live with it as do others.

Go for a model with pit zips if you fear overheating and are a sweaty beast. The breathability "flaw" of the fabrics is more than made up for by its durability and not needing to maintain a DWR.

I seem to kill any DWR in short order and find reproofing treatments very hit&miss.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

What Colin and Ton said. The only jacket I've ever had that I know I'll stay dry inside whatever gets chucked at it.
Cheeky Monkey wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:15 am They're not a cycling cut, unfortunately, but I can live with it as do others.
Agree, they're not perfect, but the actual waterproof-ness far outweighs any minor design issues.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Should we start a campaign to force them to make us one that covers our bums?

:grin:
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

+1 for Outdry
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Outdry in cooler weather, Shakedry when it's warmer.
I've given up on DWR coated fabrics.
ton

Post by ton »

best thing about outdry is that the xxxl size is a proper xxxl size. :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

ton wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:52 am best thing about outdry is that the xxxl size is a proper xxxl size. :-bd
Sized for the American market. And Ton :cool:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

outdry jacket
Endura Stealth trousrs [ no longer available but 100% waterproof but arse
Waterproof boots [45 North Wolfhammer ]
Waterproof socks
Aldi gloves or neoprene if not supercold or pogies if proper winter
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Take up a new past time? :lol:

Just wondered what everyone was using as I'm sat here watching the rain & hail bounce off the windows, just got me thinking :lol:
Tbh I only ride in the rain if its needed, I don't tend to say right it's lashing down I'm off for a spin. Some big shouts for the outdry jacket, thought there would be more for Gore but hey that's why I asked first :-bd
Cheers chaps
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd just like to say - outdry too. Such a shame that they seem increasingly difficult to find.
May the bridges you burn light your way
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

OMM kamelika (or something like that!) smock works well for me. It's my old fell running one, and is starting to fall apart after 10 years. Not quite as storm proof as my heavy duty Patagonia jacket, but stretchy, breathable and noticeably warmer on cold wet days than its super light replacement.

Aldi waterproof cycle trousers and gloves are great, double waterproof fabric in the saddle area seems to last well. Current pair are at least 5 years, including 18 hours at strathpuffer, old and still waterproof.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I find 400g to be the sweet spot for proper waterproofing (but might just be me)... Got this after getting bored of my Lowe Alpine and it startong to get cuts (after many many years... not to be confused with many many many years).

https://www.trekitt.co.uk/clothing/jack ... nge__36187

Been really happy with it and mine in L weighs about 395g
RIP

Post by RIP »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:16 pm 400g to be the sweet spot for proper waterproofing
Noted. That means I could buy another Essence and wear it on top of and at the same time as my existing one, and be exactly on the sweet spot. Then I'll be doubly (*) dry :-bd

(*) I mistyped that as "dobly" - Nigel Tufnell strikes again!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

Whereas I will enter with my stuck record line to say that the only top that has ever worked for me is a Paramo Vélez Lite. Yes I do run hot too and it can get hot in very warm summer rain, but usually it’s fine and copes with being patched really well.

I can ride for 12 hours in it and climb into the tent and wear it while cooking tea. I will be dry inside anyway and after an hour it dries out all through.

I wear waterproof shorts down below. Never use long waterproof trousers on a bike.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Hamish wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:57 pm Whereas I will enter with my stuck record line to say that the only top that has ever worked for me is a Paramo Vélez Lite.
Just to check, will you be dry underneath it in prolonged heavy rain? I'm coming round to the idea that I could justify carrying a heavier waterproof if it

1) keeps me dry
2) stops me ending up on the verge of hypothermia, and
3) continues to do 1 and 2 rather than just for the first few months I own it.

I also like the idea it can be repaired if I tear it.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Shaf, do you mean a jacket weighing 400g? Does weight perhaps depend on the size of said jacket, how many zips, toggles it has and whether you remembered to empty the pockets properly before weighing it?
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:15 pm Shaf, do you mean a jacket weighing 400g? Does weight perhaps depend on the size of said jacket, how many zips, toggles it has and whether you remembered to empty the pockets properly before weighing it?
Sorry... yes, 400g in a medium to large with empty, just the jacket. The lightweight stuff (Columbus not applicable cos it never fit me properly when trying it on) just wasn't cut up to protecting from the elements properly.

I've also gone/decided on similar criteria for the trousers (I get cold quickly... and wet) which came recommended by the shop (BACS). Mountain Equip again and turned out they too were 400ish grams. The Lowe Alpine which worled well for me, again, 400g. Anything that I've tried in lighter fabrics just ends up being cold and shivery.

Wierd... I know :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Another Paramo fan here - Quito in Spring, Summer and Autumn, velez light in Winter. Heavy but in most cases up here when it starts raining it gets very cold and its really nice to jam it on, feel warm and know it will keep out all know rain. To echo Hamish, you can put it on over wet gear and you will dry out underneath it. A bit sweaty when its warm and raining but this doesn't happen much in Scotland. Bomproof too and repairable.

If I know its not going too rain much and its warm, I'm using either a Gore c3 goretex active on the road bike or a Keela Saxon for off road. The latter leaks with heavy rain but OK for drizzle.

For bottoms I use Paramo velez trousers in the winter but these are too warm for Spring and Summer. Rab downpour (pertex shield) if its not going to be too bad, Berghaus goretex active trousers if its proper wet. These have been good so far but as Colin says bottoms never last long on a bike - they either go at the backside, crotch or ankles. I hate wet feet so go for goretex boots, waterproof socks and gaiters if its horrible.
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

sean_iow wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:06 pm
Hamish wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:57 pm Whereas I will enter with my stuck record line to say that the only top that has ever worked for me is a Paramo Vélez Lite.
Just to check, will you be dry underneath it in prolonged heavy rain? I'm coming round to the idea that I could justify carrying a heavier waterproof if it

1) keeps me dry
2) stops me ending up on the verge of hypothermia, and
3) continues to do 1 and 2 rather than just for the first few months I own it.

I also like the idea it can be repaired if I tear it.
Yes. I put it on ride, and at the end I’m dry. You can sweat in it of course and maybe get drops down the neck and up the sleeves, but for that all day riding in the rain situation it keeps me dry.

There are a few caveats... it works best with good wicking thermals. Merino will work but I don’t think it wicks fast enough to be optimum. I now use Paramo grid thermals unless it’s very warm. Also, You do have to wash and retreat the jacket from time to time. I don’t do it as often as I used to - and it still works. It’s easy to do; I wash mine by hand in a bucket and it takes no time... but a takes a while to dry.

I prefer the lightweight Vélez and my oldest one is covered in stick on patches. It still works.