Wet Gear Query

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheeky Monkey

Re: Wet Gear Query

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I'm an XL in pretty much everything. All of my outdry are L.

Various models spread over a few years.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

substandard wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:39 pm Stolen goat climb and conquer kit is pretty much apocalypse proof, really rate their kit.

Also have an outdry jacket which is spot on for real fowl days
That's a real farmyard full :wink:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

substandard wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:39 pm ...real fowl days
Are they the ones where you play chicken with the weather forecast, or just when you're permanently grousing?
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Raggedstone wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:14 am I am going to get an Outdry jacket after reading this , I am a medium size t shirt wise and I want a jacket that i would be able to wear some kind of insulating layer underneath down/ primaloft what size do you think would be suitable as reading reviews etc it seems that by our standards they are in reality a size larger .
I think I'll be doin the same, lots of good stuff to consider tho cheers :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
substandard

Post by substandard »

The ‘fowl’ days are the days where the only happy chappies are the ducks :lol:
substandard

Post by substandard »

Leerowe76 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:59 am
Raggedstone wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:14 am I am going to get an Outdry jacket after reading this , I am a medium size t shirt wise and I want a jacket that i would be able to wear some kind of insulating layer underneath down/ primaloft what size do you think would be suitable as reading reviews etc it seems that by our standards they are in reality a size larger .
I think I'll be doin the same, lots of good stuff to consider tho cheers :-bd
I take a medium T-shirt, have a medium outdry and a down jacket fits under it just nice 👍
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Thanks for all the helpful advice , I decided that Medium size was probably the best bet confirmed by substandard .
While looking around to see who has stock of the jacket very few places had any small size which tells it's own story .
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Are there any other super sweaters out there? The sort who leave a sodden imprint in the gym, are dripping after 10 minutes on the bike and cannot find a jacket that breathes enough to stay dry? After years of experimenting with different fabrics, I've given up and resigned myself to getting wet, occasionally from the outside getting in, but mainly from the inside failing to get out. Am I the only one?
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

Retiredtester wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:52 pm Are there any other super sweaters out there? The sort who leave a sodden imprint in the gym, are dripping after 10 minutes on the bike and cannot find a jacket that breathes enough to stay dry? After years of experimenting with different fabrics, I've given up and resigned myself to getting wet, occasionally from the outside getting in, but mainly from the inside failing to get out. Am I the only one?
I’m pretty sweaty. In my dry suit my base layer is sodden at the end of a day paddling, if I go to a gig and jump about my shirt is sopping wet and horrible at the end of the night. I sweat a lot on the bike. I may be getting a bit less sweaty with advancing age - but I’m always one of the sweatiest people in a group.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

And the paramo gear still works ok for you?
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

It works better than anything else. I know others find otherwise but with a good wicking base layer it keeps me much drier than a conventional shell jacket. The paramo grids are great for that. It can be a bit hot in high summer but when it’s properly raining in most uk conditions it doesn’t seem to overheat that badly.

I guess it’s hard to compare who sweats the most and I tend to use my coat for bike packing, commuting and day rides as much as really fast hard rides. I do use a close fitting three layer Endura shell for mountain biking when it’s wet and muddy and I am riding fast and don’t want to use my Paramo. It’s a nice top that fits well... but I get soaked in it, mainly from sweat I think.
Dean

Post by Dean »

Retiredtester wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:52 pm Are there any other super sweaters out there? The sort who leave a sodden imprint in the gym, are dripping after 10 minutes on the bike and cannot find a jacket that breathes enough to stay dry?
I sweat profusely even in sub-zero temperatures. If I am on a long ride/hike I carry several baselayers, changing into a dry baselayer for a long downhill makes such a big comfort difference. I try not to go too hard and overexert myself, pushing is normally as quick for me as pedalling if climbing a big hill.

I have Rab Pertex Shield+/Shield Pro jackets which have softer fabric than any of my GoreTex jackets, I find the soft material physically more comfortable when riding for long periods in bad weather (I do need to take care with thorny bushes and crashing).
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

My experience is much the same as Hamish.
I’m a very sweaty heathen. I find Paramo works well for me. Better than shell jackets that’s for sure.
In warmer conditions when the Velez jacket is overkill I’m resigned to the warm and wet approach and just use a Pertex wind shirt to keep the worst at bay.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Pertex is the approach I take too when it's warm. Interesting comments on the paramo - just a shame they're so pricey!
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Have you tried their Ebay clearance shop?
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Baselayer choice is important. I find merino doesn't work so well with paramo compared with synthetic

Have a look a brynje. Looks terrible but nothing breathes or wicks like it. You can layer a thin synthetic over the top as well
Al

Post by Al »

benp1 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:14 am Have a look a brynje. Looks terrible but nothing breathes or wicks like it. You can layer a thin synthetic over the top as well
Just bought one after after reading Andy Kirkpatrick evangelising about them. It’s quite a look :shock: but I think it will work well.

I’ve had good results with Paramo, just wish the cut was better for tall and skinny folks. Even the newer stuff is quite boxy compared to all my Rab jackets. But then they always end up leaking like sieve after not that long....
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

benp1 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:14 am Baselayer choice is important. I find merino doesn't work so well with paramo compared with synthetic

Have a look a brynje. Looks terrible but nothing breathes or wicks like it. You can layer a thin synthetic over the top as well
True.
As much as I try to use natural fibres I can’t get on with merino base layers for high intensity activities like cycling. They just get wet and stay wet.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

benp1 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:14 am Baselayer choice is important. I find merino doesn't work
That.
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:18 pm I'm an XL in pretty much everything. All of my outdry are L.

I wish I had seen this thread before ordering my Outdry Blitz jacket, I decided to go up a size, It's due to be delivered today so it may end up straight on the classifieds for what I paid for it (probably quicker than dealing with Amazon returns)
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Outdry didn’t work for me, admittedly mine was a little on the tight side but I found it like wearing a bin liner. Paramo for me, they seem to reach a sort of equilibrium, you might be slightly damp but comfortable. I also have a pair of Valez Adventure trousers which are remarkable. I once had to Ford a Dartmoor stream in January, up to my plumbing.
Within a couple of miles I was warm a comfy again. All in pissing rain and storm force winds, they also were great on the Dambusters event.
I’m another one who fell for the merino thing, smelly synthetic stuff is far more comfortable.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

UnderTheRadars wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:46 pm
Cheeky Monkey wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:18 pm I'm an XL in pretty much everything. All of my outdry are L.

I wish I had seen this thread before ordering my Outdry Blitz jacket, I decided to go up a size, It's due to be delivered today so it may end up straight on the classifieds for what I paid for it (probably quicker than dealing with Amazon returns)
And needn't have worried, it's just arrived and it's plenty loose enough but not too big
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

BigdummySteve wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:52 pm ....Paramo for me, they seem to reach a sort of equilibrium, you might be slightly damp but comfortable......
I’m another one who fell for the merino thing, smelly synthetic stuff is far more comfortable.
I like paramo, it works better for me,.
I don't have a problem with wearing Merino. Except, when it was bunged in the wash with every thing else. A belt buckle prong put holes in it in lots of places. Grrrr :-O ~X( .
I also find a synthetic +Merino mix works best. I also rate Polaris Bamboo baselayers, (lightly brushed on inside)
Bamboo, Is it just overpriced Viscose for the Eco hipsters :roll: ? I didnt pay full price! :-bd
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:51 am Have you tried their Ebay clearance shop?
Good shout. Nothing suitable there at the mo, but prices are decent. I'll keep an eye out as it seems to be a lot of love here for their stuff.
Retiredtester

Post by Retiredtester »

benp1 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:14 am
Hadn't heard of them before. Strong look! I've got some odlo (also nordic I think?) mesh base layers that work well, so I'll keep an eye out for one of them.