Anyone used large Carradice pack for off road?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Scud

Anyone used large Carradice pack for off road?

Post by Scud »

I know that the answer will probably be, it was good enough for the Rough Stuff guys and gals, but having had a bit of a let down with Restrap gear (replaced worn out Apidura with Restrap front harness and dry bag, plus rear saddle bag, only for dry bag to have rim rip off and the buckle fall apart on the rear bag on first ride), i am off to ride Badger Divide in a fortnight and don't really have enough time to go through warranty and lot faith completely in Restrap kit now anyway.

So other alternative is large 20l Carradice Super C bag on Bagman support rack with smaller, better made dry bag in the Restrap harness.

Anyone used the Carradice bags and rack extensively off road, had any issues with it, i know it is a lot of bag strapped on back? Did you use the supports that you can buy for the rack that you attach to frame also?
Pickers

Re: Anyone used large Carradice pack for off road?

Post by Pickers »

Can’t speak directly about the Carradice, but I have used a 40yr old (original) Karrimor saddlebag in recent years in Scotland and France with a normal rear rack and a compression strap to hold the whole bag onto the rack as well as the saddle straps. Not sure I’d trust the Carradice bracket off road but I’ve not used one.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
ton

Post by ton »

used a carradice saddle bag for the last 30 years or so. Shaf ended up with it.
i have a new Barley bag now with a bagman support. hope it sees me to my final cycling days......... :lol:
Scud

Post by Scud »

Did you find the bagman support stood OK to off road Tony?
ton

Post by ton »

sorry my old one was just on a normal brooks b17 saddle, no bagman
that is new for the barley to go on a c19 saddle.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I've got a bagman support with the legs that go to the seat post. Mega solid.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I used a Super C for a while with a Bagman. Was plenty solid enough but I never trusted the side pockets and sometimes found it a bit wide but otherwise it was fine.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

They are fine until you try to shove your backside over the back of the seat on a steep descent - you can't....
Scud

Post by Scud »

Thanks all for comments. Will see how i get on.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I replaced my half frame bag with a Barley and a Bagman last year for lock down pottering.
One of my routes involves a very narrow elevated footbridge so I am now able to get my shoulder under the top tube to get across and carry a civilised picnic or TMS with me.
It is permanently mounted but does have a large faff factor when fitting or removing.
Never used it overnight but have ridden over some very rough ground without problem once everything is secured properly.
As mentioned hanging off the back is out but the same applies to my seat pack.
Mud sticks to it like substandard to a blanket so also had to fit a better mudguard than a clip on.
Mud brushes off when dry but leaves marks.
The other alternative was a clip on rear rack with dry bag but prefer the Barley set up.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Scud

Post by Scud »

Well the Bagman rack turned up today, definitely a solid bit of kit.
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

I've used the super c for light off roading, it did come loose at the fixing bolt on day 2 but let's give it the benefit of the doubt that I'd not cranked it enough. I also looked into the support stays but chose against them in the end as I read they were discontinued due to causing more problems than they solved - something to do with instead of spreading the impact onto the spring of the metal support, it concentrated it on (I think) the stay anchors in the frame (possibly damaging the seat stay and writing the frame off) . I decided in the end to go with a rack to support if I were mega loading the rear end, but so far have been fine with just the bagman expedition qr
Scud

Post by Scud »

Thanks for that Alex, i have ordered the supports, but did that before the rack itself turned up not realising just how strong the rack itself seems to be built, so will have a play around and see if it seems to benefit, if not i'll leave them off.
ton

Post by ton »

always used a carradice bag, since getting a cast off from a old boy in the calder clarion in 1984.
but over the last few years i have tried a few other things for carrying stuff off the saddle. restrap, lomo, alpkit and apidura.
they are all very nice, but non works as well as, or are a well made as carradice bags. IMHO.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I use a rack with mine, and it's been great. It hasn't been used on any serious off road though, mainly for the reason mentioned above that I wouldn't be able to lean back behind the saddle. It's my favourite bit of luggage as it's so easy to pack and find things in there.

“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

I know this is about large packs, and I have used a long flap very successfully off-road as others have. However, I prefer to use the Carradice "Audax" bag as a handlebar bag (as have others) very successfully for off-road riding. It works just as well as a bar bag or in its "conventional" behind the seat position. I am a big fan of this setup but it does have its limitation’s at times (side pocket angel can be suboptimal at times when in the behind the saddle position) but overall I am happy with the setup.

i also love the fact they decompose and are not adding yet more plastic into the environment.

Image20200114_095001 by Norway Calling, on Flickr
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I have a super c not sure of model no side pockets & single length rear flap.
it looking for a good home and it got that Made in 70s pattena!. chrome straps and reinforcement. offers say
Last use obC2C in 2 days, day after 9/11 and foot & mouth damping down...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..