How much does your bike weigh?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

restlessshawn

How much does your bike weigh?

Post by restlessshawn »

I was thinking about the WRT weigh in earlier and hoping I might be lighter than last years 47.5lb as I have some lighter bits and bobs...then I weighed my bike and found it's gained 1.25lbs since last year!

This is mostly down to stronger wheels with a proper amount of proper spokes, the front being a 29, and upping from 2.25/2.1 tyres to 2.4/2.25. I'm very happy with it so probably not much I can do but it just got me wondering.

853 Inbred 69er, rigid, 2x9 = 27.5lbs :shock:
Ray Young

Re: How much does your bike weigh?

Post by Ray Young »

My charge cooker is just over 30lb so your ahead of me already!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My fatbike weighs 31.5 lbs at the moment. Dunno about the El Mariachi.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

My custom build CX bike is 23.8lb :-]
slarge

Post by slarge »

My stumpy hardtail weighs 20.5 lbs, and my stumpy FSR is 25.5 lbs. Not sure which I prefer riding - they're both great fun.
For the El n Back my kit weighed 14 lbs, but that was only 1 night so it was possible to scrimp a bit (blimmin cold though)
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Rigid ti 69er was dipping sub 17lb when a fixie, new Solaris is circa 24-25lb (not fussed to put it on scales) at a guess and rides one heck of a lot better for it.

Many many years of weight weenie bikes, only conclusion is that they are better for lifting over stiles/gates and into van at end of day.

Oh and wrt weigh-in's :)

If you enjoy riding the bike as is, keeping bikepacking kit weight to a minimum to keep it handling similar is far more important to me than the overall combined weight.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Anthony wrote:keeping bikepacking kit weight to a minimum to keep it handling similar is far more important to me than the overall combined weight.
I think you are right really and 27.5 isn't terrible :)

Spreading lightish gear all over the bike so it still handles like my bike and not like hanging off the back of a shopping trolley is the main thing I aim for

Even if I only hit the same weight as last year I am pretty sure I am going to be more comfortable, warmer and drier than last year!
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

My Felt Q620 weighs 27lbs 11oz... Have added bar ends since then so probably just over 28lbs now I guess.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Think it was 25.5 lbs last time I weighed it.
zigrat

Post by zigrat »

Solaris is a tad under 25lbs inc pedals, cages and reba fork.
Merida big nine carbon is about 3lbs lighter (but am on 3rd warranty frame !) :lol:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Dunno what my steel Jones weighs.. it's 'reassuringly sturdy'. But the frame and forks aren't that heavy, 7.3lb. Spec varies and it weighs whatever the total is, I'm used to it and there's no pointless weight on it so I don't care / know. I guess 27lbs or so as a SS, 29lbs with gears at the back?

My kit however, I know most of it to the nearest 10g and my pack weights based on type of trip. 8-10lbs for short trips that have a risk of discomfort in torrential rain, ie Wales ) up to 15lbs for longer trips in more comfort. So maybe 38-40lbs all in for my average trip. Lightest was the Ti bike set up SS with summer overnight kit, at around 30lbs.
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

For some strange reason I work kit weight in Kg and bike weight in lbs :?

My Fargo has been on a diet recently and is down to just under 25lbs. I havent managed to get my pack weight below 8.5kg (not including food and water) without starting to cross my personal suffering/comfort line and loosing all the enjoyment of doing it in the first place.

I did want to get around 40lb mark for WRT but I dont think I will get there without more suffering than I am prepared to put up with! Anthony comment on manoeuvrability makes a lot of sense. Doesnt stop me obssessing over weight though ;)
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Just did a practice WRT pack to give me an idea of total weight.

Charge Cooker rigid 3x9 = 31lb
Loaded+1l water but no food = 44.6lb

I'm more than happy with that and depending on the forecast it may get a little heavier or lighter.
Chew

Post by Chew »

:geek:
Here's last years WRT weigh-ins to give you a guide
http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... =wrt+weigh
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

S McFarlane - 49.5
I was heavier than I thought last year. Got to be able to beat that this year surely :geek:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Bike 31lb
Packed inc food/1l water 48lb,
Maybe i won't make the top ten after all, gonna have a damn good time though :D .