Cheap dehydrated dried meals

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Cheap dehydrated dried meals

Post by RIP »

htrider wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:07 pm Anyone got a dried milk recommendation? The stuff you get in the supermarket is rubbish and leaves you with lumps in your tea
Nah, proper milk (**) is part of the tea ceremony (cf "National Tea Day" :wink: ). As [you are] a Professional Tea Drinker I can't believe you're even entertaining the idea of the dried stuff :smile: . On single nighters I put some in a 175ml school milk bottle, freeze it, take it out of the freezer as I depart, wrap it in foil, then it's melted by next morning. Some goes in me porridge and some goes in me tea. On multiple days, either buy a pint last thing - it'll keep 'til morning, shove it in a stream or something (*) - or apparently I'm quite good at blagging some from pubs / cafes / random unsuspecting householders the evening before. I admit there aren't [m]any random householders on top of a very remote mountain.

Dried milk is probably good for use as emergency foot powder.

I hope Stu's not listening to all this sacrilege.

(*) in the unlikely event it's gone off overnight, well, at least you've got some yogurt for breakfast as a change :-bd

(**) "many non-dairy alternatives are available" of course
Last edited by RIP on Wed May 05, 2021 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:23 pm
htrider wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:07 pm Anyone got a dried milk recommendation? The stuff you get in the supermarket is rubbish and leaves you with lumps in your tea
Nah, proper milk (**) is part of the tea ceremony (cf "National Tea Day" :wink: ). As a Professional Tea Drinker I can't believe you're even entertaining the idea of the dried stuff :smile: . On single nighters I put some in a 175ml school milk bottle, freeze it, take it out of the freezer as I depart, wrap it in foil, then it's melted by next morning. Some goes in me porridge and some goes in me tea. On multiple days, either buy a pint last thing - it'll keep 'til morning, shove it in a stream or something (*) - or apparently I'm quite good at blagging some from pubs / cafes / random unsuspecting householders the evening before.

Dried milk is probably good for use as emergency foot powder.

I hope Stu's not listening to all this sacrilege.

(*) in the unlikely event it's gone off overnight, well, at least you've got some yogurt for breakfast as a change :-bd

(**) "many non-dairy alternatives are available" of course
Tsk. For muesli not in my Tea! Well it will be for tea too but only when I'm doing hard core adventure race type of things, not normal overnighters (where I would typically carry a small fuel bottle of milk, a small fuel bottle of whisky, a small fuel bottle of fuel and 6 cans of beer)
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Tsk. For muesli not in my Tea! Well it will be for tea too but only when I'm doing hard core adventure race type of things, not normal overnighters (where I would typically carry a small fuel bottle of milk, a small fuel bottle of whisky, a small fuel bottle of fuel and 6 cans of beer)

Now here is a fine example of the art of packing :-bd