It's the 2021 "What Gravel Tyre...?" Thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

It's the 2021 "What Gravel Tyre...?" Thread

Post by Boab »

Yes, I know we've done gravel tyres in the past, but I now need a new pair. I've used Conti Terra Trail and Panaracer Gravel King SK, and while they've both been OK in the dry, they've been poor show in the wet. I quite like the look of the WTB Raddler in 700 x 44, mainly for the large side knobblies.

Anything new and improved that I should consider along with the Raddler...?
So, does anyone have any other suggestions...?
Last edited by Boab on Tue May 04, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ton

Re: It's the 2021 "What Gravel Tyre...?" Thread

Post by ton »

i have been running some teravail tyres on the fargo. tubeless too. and with 21 stone on board, no punctures yet in 5 month. including some proper offroading as opposed to gravel.

lots to choose from.

https://teravail.com/tires/gravel
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

A good all rounder that works well in wet weather is the resolute. It probably wouldn’t cope with deep mud but I’ve had no issues going through muddy ruts, river fords and the like. The only con is that they’re a little bit draggy on the road but not so much I swapped them out on my last big road trip.
FLV

Post by FLV »

29x2.25 schwalbe g one allrounds for me.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Conti AT rides are good - 40mm, grippy and fast rolling as they go up to 70psi. No need for tubeless as pretty puncture proof. Schwalbe G ones also good and can be used tubed or tubeless but not much tread. Conti sport contact a budget version of G ones and very fast rolling; but not for the hard braker.

Off the wall - Schwalbe marathon mondials. A bit heavy but totally bomb proof and surprisingly grippy in a range of terrains
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Just looking at the pictures it's hard to imagine that the G-One Allrounds can be any better than Gravel King SKs in muddy conditions.
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

WTB Resolute would be my suggestion. I've not used the Raddler, but not a huge fan of the Riddler.

My thoughts on the Resolute here https://off.road.cc/content/review/tyre ... eview-7679
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

My Camino came with Resolutes on and I found them to be very puncture prone. 9 punctures in the first 2 weeks or so. Set them up tubeless which made it better but still loads of punctureswith 1 in 3 needing a plug. Swapped them out for Pananracers and so far no punctures in over 6 months, and with lockdowns I'm riding the same trails and lanes. I see WTB now appears to offer a more robust option so maybe there was an issue?

Overall from a performance point of view I thought they were very good apart from the punctures. Not too draggy on the road and really good off road in the dry and OK in the wet as well.
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

AndreR wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:54 am My Camino came with Resolutes on and I found them to be very puncture prone. 9 punctures in the first 2 weeks or so. Set them up tubeless which made it better but still loads of punctureswith 1 in 3 needing a plug. Swapped them out for Pananracers and so far no punctures in over 6 months, and with lockdowns I'm riding the same trails and lanes. I see WTB now appears to offer a more robust option so maybe there was an issue?

Overall from a performance point of view I thought they were very good apart from the punctures. Not too draggy on the road and really good off road in the dry and OK in the wet as well.
Yes, good point - it was the SG2 version I tested and liked. The standard WTB tyres are quite puncture prone, but SG2 are a significant improvement.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I’ve not had a single puncture since I went tubeless but I’d still switch to the SG2 versions when I replace this pair.
Boab

Post by Boab »

mattpage wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:40 am WTB Resolute would be my suggestion. I've not used the Raddler, but not a huge fan of the Riddler.

My thoughts on the Resolute here https://off.road.cc/content/review/tyre ... eview-7679
Hadn't though much about the other tyres that WTB offers. They look like they would do the job, if the wrong side of £50 an end. The Conti Terra Trails were 40mm and I didn't think the extra 3mm of the Gravel King SKs would make much difference, but they're huge in comparison. How big do the Resolute's turn out...? Are they a skinny 42mm or quite beefy?

I quite like the look of the Vredestein Aventura, but while they look fast rolling they also look like they'd suffer the same issues on slithery bridleways as the Gravel Kings. Maybe those knobblies at the edges aren't as big as they look...

BordersSteve

Post by BordersSteve »

Another vote for Resolutes. Also echo that you need the SG2 version, for the rear at least.

At 90kg before bags and water I put holes in a non-SG2 resolute on the rear on 3 rides in a row, that sealant couldn't seal. Took it off and swapped to panaracer SK+ with the additional puncture protection for the summer.

I run a non SG2 resolute on the front and have never punctured it. I keep it on year round for the front.
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

K1100T wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:10 pm The Conti Terra Trails were 40mm and I didn't think the extra 3mm of the Gravel King SKs would make much difference, but they're huge in comparison. How big do the Resolute's turn out...? Are they a skinny 42mm or quite beefy?
The Resolutes measured actual width of 43.4mm on a rim with 23mm internal.
The Conti Terra Trail were exactly 40mm on the same width internal. So I think in general they will be a tiny bit more than 42mm, but not massively more.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Thanks Matt, and everyone else. Just need to try and find somewhere that's got some in stock now...
Boab

Post by Boab »

Looks like the Resolute's are rarer than hen's teeth at the moment. Anyone used Bike Inn before...? Not come across them, but they do seem to have some...

I could get some for Germany, but then I have to spend another €92 plus shipping before they'll send them, thanks Brexit.
Last edited by Boab on Tue May 04, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've used Bike Inn. They're not the quickest at despatch but not so bad that I avoid them. Check postage/customs though.
Boab

Post by Boab »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:12 am I've used Bike Inn. They're not the quickest at despatch but not so bad that I avoid them. Check postage/customs though.
Seems to indicate that it would be posted Royal Mail, which is slightly confusing if they're based in Spain... 🤷
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

Humble opinion alert.

Gravel king SK. All the way.
Excellent value for money all rounder.

They do a gnarlier one. No idea what it's like.

Um
I'll get my coat.
Grubby little urchin.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Kumquat wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:50 pm Gravel king SK. All the way.

I did look at both the GravelKing EXT and AC, but neither come in a particularly wide model... 🤷
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

K1100T wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:43 pm
Kumquat wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:50 pm Gravel king SK. All the way.

I did look at both the GravelKing EXT and AC, but neither come in a particularly wide model... 🤷
I'm currently running 43 Gravel King SKs and like you I've found them a bit sketchy in muddier conditions. I went with them as I wanted a do it all tyre and I think they tick that box very well but I now have a second set of wheels for my gravel bike with 32 road tyres on so I may go for a more aggressive off-road tread next. I do like the look of the WTB Resolute and I may give them a try when the GKs wear out (I bought some heavily discounted 29x2.6 WTB Rangers for my 29er hardtail and I've been very impressed with them so far). What I like about the Gravel King SKs is that they corner like a road tyre but still give a surprising amount of grip in most non muddy off-road conditions. I previously had Nanos on and they were better in mud but felt vague cornering on the road. I suspect that whatever we choose as a gravel tyre it will be compromised in some area.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Anyone used Bike Inn before...?
Sort of
Bought a GPS but it never posted [they didnot hav it/ could not source]and i had to threaten to get my money back - it remained for sale throughout on their website despite them having no stock and no ability to get stock [ years before Covid so not to do with that]
| suspect they list things they think they can get rather than hold stock
I would not use them again personally
Boab

Post by Boab »

Lazarus wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:01 pm
Anyone used Bike Inn before...?
Sort of
Bought a GPS but it never posted [they didnot hav it/ could not source]and i had to threaten to get my money back - it remained for sale throughout on their website despite them having no stock and no ability to get stock [ years before Covid so not to do with that]
| suspect they list things they think they can get rather than hold stock
I would not use them again personally
That doesn't sound good. I received a dispatch email while out on my bike, so fingers crossed these will actually turn up!

For any avoidance of doubt, this is the reason I would like a tyre with a slightly more open, slightly knobblier tread:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I never got a dispatch note so hopefully its worked out for you
Boab

Post by Boab »

So... I've been running around on the Resolute's all summer and they've been pretty good. Puncture protection has been especially excellent, way better than last years GravelKing SKs. The rear is getting a bit worn, so I'm now looking for a replacement and thought I might try something new again. My only gripe with the resolutes, is that I'd like them a touch wider, so I'm looking at 45mm (ish) options. The Teravail Rutland seem to get a good review, and come in a 700cx47mm durable variant, but no one seems to have any. Similarly the Pirelli Cinturato™ Gravel M in 45mm seems to be out of stock everywhere. Has anyone run the Schwalbe G-One Ultrabite / G-One Bite combo...? With the Super Ground casing, are they properly puncture resistant...?
marcinski

Post by marcinski »

Boab wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:35 pm Similarly the Pirelli Cinturato™ Gravel M in 45mm seems to be out of stock everywhere. Has anyone run the Schwalbe G-One Ultrabite / G-One Bite combo...? With the Super Ground casing, are they properly puncture resistant...?
Sorry, I am of no help as where to get them, but currently using said Pirelli Gravel M in 45mm, and really love them. They come up a bit wider at 47mm, and are touch heavy. But roll really good on pavement don't clog up too badly, and do behave rather well in deep sand. Really reliable, too.

I also run G-one Ultrabite/Bite combo in 650b seize and didn't like them as much. Squirrelly on hard surfaces (flexy side knobs), did quite ok on softer ground, but not enough of an allrounder for me.
Marcin