A dilemma.....

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Pickers

A dilemma.....

Post by Pickers »

Out for a ride today, the RH SRAM shifter failed. Wouldn’t click up or down, it was stuck just up from the middle of the cassette so rideable. Couple of miles from home so straight back and then out on another bike. Ride done.
Obviously these new fangled 12sp shifters are pretty delicate, once they go they’re not fixable, are they....
Anyways, need to order another then. And with what I’d heard I wasn’t hopeful of finding any stock. Bugger.
So when I found some stock I snapped up a new shifter sharpish. It didn’t match the rear mech, so I’d better have one of those. Hmm, they have the chainset to match as well....
So as a result of a broken shifter I now have a proper bill from Merlin.
The dilemma is that I’ve now taken the shifter apart and fixed the damn thing!
Cancel or keep?
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Bearlegged

Re: A dilemma.....

Post by Bearlegged »

Depends a bit on your finances and hoarding tendencies, but given current parts availability it mightn't be the worst thing to have some spares handy.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Depends on the nature of the failure? What failed? Is it likely to fail again?

If I was going on a multiday ride it would play on my mind* that it could fail again, is it fixable on the trail?

*It wouldn't as I wouldn't have gears but you know what I mean :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

The failure was simply a tension spring popped out from the release lever. I’d say extremely likely to reoccur. Fixable when out and about certainly but fiddly and very likely to lose parts.
Ok. Decision made. Keeping.
Do I tell Mrs Pickers I fixed it....?

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Landslide wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:02 pm Depends a bit on your finances and hoarding tendencies, but given current parts availability it mightn't be the worst thing to have some spares handy.
Very much this
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:37 pm
Landslide wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:02 pm Depends a bit on your finances and hoarding tendencies, but given current parts availability it mightn't be the worst thing to have some spares handy.
Very much this
This is my line of thinking too, although actual mechanical failures are very rare indeed for me. I’ve not kept spare parts at all in the past, times are different now though.

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

BigdummySteve wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:34 pm https://wheeliebikeshop.com/products/sr ... BIQAvD_BwE

You know you want to :wink:
Hmm AXS. Dunno, maybe at some point. I do like the simplicity of cables.

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Pickers wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:57 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:37 pm
Very much this
This is my line of thinking too, although actual mechanical failures are very rare indeed for me. I’ve not kept spare parts at all in the past, times are different now though.
I've always had some spare pads, a chain or two etc. Currently, I have much more - a couple of cassettes, jockey wheels, chain rings, a mech hanger and more. I buy when I see a bargain and when I'm not in a hurry for delivery. That keeps my bikes running without delivery delays or having to rely on a couple of small, local bike shops (not blaming them but they can't keep every spare part in stock). I've standardised my MTBs on Shimano XT 8000 so there's an amount of redundancy there too, and fewer spares for me to keep.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Just to back up the hoarding theory, I was in my lbs the other day and he had a bike with 11 speed SRAM components on it that had been stored outside leading to the rear mech being seized up. When he checked availability from the UK distributors NX was available from October and GX from April 2022! :o
slarge

Post by slarge »

I have. SRAM 11 speed shifter for sale if you need to upgrade from 12 to 11 speed
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

A new group set ish for a broken [ now fixed shifter] its a no from me

Who breaks cranks anyway does anyone really keep a spare set just in case ?
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I broke my Deore cranks - somehow the pinch bolts got slack and the splines on the axel/left hand crank must have got damaged as it will no longer stay clamped up.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I broke a pair of Middleburn fat bike cranks a few years ago (in the middle of nowhere) so it can happen. I try to avoid 30mm/aluminium axles now for that reason although my Orbea came with SRAM DUB carbon cranks which I imagine will have an aluminium axle (I've not had them out yet as it's a relatively new, low mileage bike).
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Crankset 1 - stripped a pedal thread.
Crankset 2 - stripped a pinch bolt thread.

It happens. I've also had mate's nap cranks around the pedal insert area and bend them (usually rotating outwards rather than in the direction / plane of pedalling).

But this isn't really about *need* is it :wink:
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:35 am Crankset 1 - stripped a pedal thread.
Crankset 2 - stripped a pinch bolt thread.

But this isn't really about *need* is it :wink:
It’s not entirely..... there may be other plans afoot.

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Had this happen to a Sram XO shifter a few years back on a Lefty F29 (that's another story)and not long after they failed the brakes failed pistons were iffy so ended up cleaning up selling on the bay and replacing with Shimano :-bd , Shimano can to fail I'm sure but less likely too imo
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams