Any thoughts or exp of the newer Apidura bar bags?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Any thoughts or exp of the newer Apidura bar bags?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Specifically for mtb bars as I doubt they'd be comfy on road drops. Seems that the backcountry series is now more weatherproof. The blurb also states they're more stable for jumpinh etc..

Anyone managed to get any real world expereince with these newer bags pls?

https://www.apidura.com/shop/backcountry-handlebar-pack
ScotRoutes

Re: Any thoughts or exp of the newer Apidura bar bags?

Post by ScotRoutes »

Sorry, no.

I do know that there were some massive questions marks over the durability of the early versions, based on what I saw in the aftermath of a few LeJog trips, so I guess that has coloured my opinion of the brand.
ton

Post by ton »

not used one, but seen one.
my thoughts are 'how fucking much !!!! '

seriously it is a waterproof bag that fastens to your bars. i have a lomo waterproof bag for my bars, cost me £8.
it is mega secure with 2 x voile straps.

i seriously think that the backpacking bag thing is one hell of a rip off. :-bd
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

My mate has a set of apidura backcountry bags and he likes them at least. I borrowed his seat pack once and it did the job and had some nice features, I just prefer a holster/drybag type setup.

As to whether or not they're good value, that's completely subjective. I will note though that my mates bike + full set of apidura bags is still half the price of a Ti Fargo + lomo bags. :grin:
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

I haven't used any of their bar bags, but I do have one of their new(ish) dropper post seat bags. It's been on one 250km trip so I can't comment on long term durability, but it looks really well put together - also super simple and rock solid when attached. It's my third seat bag (Koala and Wild Cat Drover are the other two) and my favourite so far.
ton

Post by ton »

still half the price of a Ti Fargo + lomo bags. :grin:

a waterptoof bag is iust a waterproof bag......... and a bike is just a bike, unless it is a Ti bike, everyone knows that........ :lol:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

ton wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:48 pm

a waterptoof bag is iust a waterproof bag......... and a bike is just a bike, unless it is a Ti bike, everyone knows that........ :lol:
Calling seaniow....
I think there is specific category of goodness for bikes that only includes Ti Salsas
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Just give them a call and let them know your status as a massive social media influencer and they'll send you one free. Hopefully before investigating further. :grin:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

pistonbroke wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:26 pm Just give them a call and let them know your status as a massive social media influencer and they'll send you one free.
Strangely enough, a strategy that worked well for Apidura :lol:
redefined_cycles

pistonbroke wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:26 pm Just give them a call and let them know your status as a massive social media influencer and they'll send you one free. Hopefully before investigating further. :grin:
Doubt I've managed to influence anyone to be fair. :-bd Don't think I've really ever used social medai as an influencing platform...

I suppose I should put out a public apology to Sonder for thinking their 5 year warranty would work for me, after having owned the frame for well over 2 years and putting over 2000 miles in it and not washing it as much as it deserved (and riding rigid for the first year)..

Might just do that...
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

A friend tore one open a couple of weeks ago. Bag was brand new, not 100 % certain, but it did look exactly like the one in the link. I can't even remember what the cause was, must've been rather casual.
One of the straps tore through the fabric.
We tossed a strap all around the bag and rode on.
I'm quite sure it was Apidura, since he has a couple of bags from them

He also uses the top tube bag from the backcountry series, the first gen. Waterproof, bonded etc.
Works really well, even after the zip failed after very little use. Really very little.
Now he has no valuables in there and the slider in mid position to offer two small gaps instead of one large.

He also has a saddle bag from them, but I think he uses it about 1x/year and it's not the backcountry series. He seems happy with that one.

I have DIY stuff with YKK zips where the fabric is looking prober rubbish from more than 1 year everyday use, a bunch multi week trips and lots of 2 - 3 day trips during the past 7 years. Zip is running rough, but hasn't failed yet.

I do wonder how hard it is to source durable hardwear for Apidura.

Also the design with straps only running around the bars rather than bars and bag seems much more failure prone. I remember a fellow HT550 rider damaged his bar bag (think he ripped it during a crash) with the same construction.
redefined_cycles

You meant to say unless it's a Ti Bike or a Sonder (cor blimey :lol: they don't half make bikes them lot... come with a gorgeous 5 year warranty too, but I doubt one would ever need to use it cos their that well built :lol: )
redefined_cycles

NB. On a more serious note, thanks all for the input. I'm gonna adapt the DrJon strapdeck to fit around the Revelate 14L drybag and with the carbon tubes attach it to the bars.

Saves me alot of money which I can continue paying for my new frame with :smile:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Not sure what you all do to bags but mine - not that so first gen - is still in use without any issues
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

lune ranger wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:59 pm

Calling seaniow....
I think there is specific category of goodness for bikes that only includes Ti Salsas
Ti Salsas are really priceless but they've had to sell them as it wouldn't be fair to keep them all for themselves, but but too cheaply, we don't want everyone owning one :wink:

As for the bag, I've not used the new one but the old version I have is far from waterproof, not an issue as I use a dry bag inside. The new version is welded I see to make it waterproof, don't know if that's instead of sewing? I assume they've tested it for durability.

On a side note, I contacted Apidura as I wanted to use my myog front bag on their bag and they sent me the male parts of the buckles to go into to the captive ones on the bag, free of charge, I was really impressed with that for customer service :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Get yersel a sweetroll Shaff, your in the Revelate club now! :wink:
redefined_cycles

htrider wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:19 pm Get yersel a sweetroll Shaff, your in the Revelate club now! :wink:
True.. I've kinda been in that since my first bag (from Wotsits I believe)... half frame bag and I think I must've been hooked from there. Got the SpineLock and full frame bag at the mo on the road/allroad bike. Saltyroll and sweetroll as well as the harness I got off you were all cool and I probably sold on to look forward to a newer one on another day...

Maybe that day is now :o
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:26 pm
pistonbroke wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:26 pm Just give them a call and let them know your status as a massive social media influencer and they'll send you one free. Hopefully before investigating further. :grin:
Doubt I've managed to influence anyone to be fair. :-bd Don't think I've really ever used social medai as an influencing platform...

I suppose I should put out a public apology to Sonder for thinking their 5 year warranty would work for me, after having owned the frame for well over 2 years and putting over 2000 miles in it and not washing it as much as it deserved (and riding rigid for the first year)..

Might just do that...
Whoosh 😀
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer