Super Boost.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Super Boost.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For those who love 'standards' and the industries never ending quest to change them, you'll be happy to hear that a 157mm x 12mm rear Super Boost spacing may soon be muddying the waters further ... so I believe.
May the bridges you burn light your way
PaulB2

Re: Super Boost.

Post by PaulB2 »

They were announced way back in 2018 and Hope have produced super boost hubs for a couple of years now.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Hiper Boost anyone?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Or Hyper Boost even.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

You and I both know it would be spelt with an "i". :lol:
jameso

Post by jameso »

'Road Boost' too - 12x110 fronts.

The roadies will complain about added drag. I think it's a good thing to have wider hubs in general but would spec a 15x110 MTB hub and not bother with 12mm weenie-ism.
FLV

Post by FLV »

dont salsa full suspenders use super boost since the latest updates?

Not sure who else does.

Having a 12 as well as a 15 x110 is a bit much really.

It would be interesting to know 'who' starts it all. For example, is it a particular brand that started using the 157 (DH bikes use it I think) then others follow suit.?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

IIRC, Boost was Rocky Mountain and SRAM as RM was trying to get a better arrangement for B+ tyres.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I'm surprised they didn't call 12x110 gravel boost.
FLV

Post by FLV »

PaulB2 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:13 am I'm surprised they didn't call 12x110 gravel boost.
Thats 15x112
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I think I'll wait until Mega Boost comes out
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:03 am Or Hyper Boost even.
Wouldn’t Hipper Boost work in the context of gravel bikes?
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I've riding supercooled boost on my Spearfish for two years now. The bike is great and, apart from not being able to share rear wheel with the 'mere boost' HT, I've found no disadvantages. I think it gives more options for chainrings and tyre width.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I've had a super boost full sus (a Mondraker) since Nov 2017. Hope hub.

Pivot were doing them at the same time iirc but that was about it.

edit - looks like they were around in 2015 https://bikerumor.com/2015/12/22/mondra ... -rr-and-r/
Last edited by In Reverse on Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

boxelder wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:16 pm
I've riding supercooled boost on my Spearfish for two years now. The bike is great and, apart from not being able to share rear wheel with the 'mere boost' HT, I've found no disadvantages. I think it gives more options for chainrings and tyre width.
It should, but then it doesn't...

Both my full sus trail bikes can take 29 x 2.6 with ample room, both come in boost, both have not too long chainstays, the shorter being 432 mm. The one with the 432 mm chain stays can take a 32t ring. The one with the 436 mm chainstays can take a larger one, but don't know if it's 34 or 36t.

Stiff frames, stiff wheels, loads of feedback and precision, that how I like a bike to feel for fast paced trail biking and found it easy to get what I want (lightweight and stiff 29" wheels and chassis) with boost.

I run boost on all my bicycles (from the commute bike to the long travel trail bike), except for the fatbike and penny farthing. And it's quite fun to play around with slower/faster tyres, damage a rim and not have to wait for replacement, run experiments with the 27.5+ rim from the ssp HT on my full sus etc.

Not much of bother if super boost would replace boost, but then I want and even need (rarely) to swap wheels. That's why super boost has been no-go criteria for me, despite the option of getting hands on Pivot bikes easily (and likely for a very good price).
ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:12 amIIRC, Boost was Rocky Mountain and SRAM as RM was trying to get a better arrangement for B+ tyres.
It was in fact Trek in 2014 (product launch for 2015 models).

Rocky Mountain and it's first 650B+ (Sherpa, I think) was also launched in 2014 (2015 model) but was on 142 mm axle. I remember because some mates and I played around with the 650+ wheel in other frames with 142 mm.

Companies have their reasons to change things, but mostly it's to make things easier for them. Easier = cheaper. Charge the same price as before = higher margin.
That's probably the main driver behind such things.
In Reverse wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:52 pm I've had a super boost full sus (a Mondraker) since Nov 2017. Hope hub.

Mmhhhh Mondraker
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Superboost on my Spearfish. No idea if it does anything. Bike is faster than me most of the time.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Given that boost clears 29 x 3 fine, and the industry is running away from 3" tyres, why??
And what does that make 197 x 12??
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

supermegamassive Boost ?
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Bulge, or Super bulge?
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

htrider wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:32 pm Given that boost clears 29 x 3 fine, and the industry is running away from 3" tyres, why??
My old Krampus fits a 29x3” tyre and 36t chainring into a 135mm QR rear without a problem.
The front tyre needs to be coaxed passed the brake calliper on the 100mm forks but once it’s in there there’s bags of room.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Alpinum wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:00 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:12 amIIRC, Boost was Rocky Mountain and SRAM as RM was trying to get a better arrangement for B+ tyres.
It was in fact Trek in 2014 (product launch for 2015 models).

Rocky Mountain and it's first 650B+ (Sherpa, I think) was also launched in 2014 (2015 model) but was on 142 mm axle. I remember because some mates and I played around with the 650+ wheel in other frames with 142 mm.
In Reverse wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:52 pm I've had a super boost full sus (a Mondraker) since Nov 2017. Hope hub.

Mmhhhh Mondraker
It was the Rocky Mountain Sherpa, 142 rear end but with a wider BB shell iirc to find the space.

I think Pivot introduced/invented Superboost.

It's doubly annoying that Focus or whoever calls 110x12 front axles Roadboost, Salsa were already using Roadboost to describe how they pair Road drivetrains with MTB boost rear ends on the cutthroat v2.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Actually I was thinking about our moans about compatibility, standards etc the other day whilst working on one of my motorcycles and realised we've got it incredibly good. We can buy a bike frame and choose from a load of different components at various levels of bling and dosh. Motorbikes have no fork or swing arm standards, no shock standards, no brake standards no headrace or chain and sprocket standards. You are stuck with what it was made with and If anything breaks you have to go to the manu for spares or if your model is fairly popular there may be after market things like levers, sprockets, disks, indicator lenses etc.

So cheer up folks, new standards aren't an issue as its easy enough to figure them out (most of the time!) and we have tons of choice. :-bd
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

lune ranger wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:40 pm
htrider wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:32 pm Given that boost clears 29 x 3 fine, and the industry is running away from 3" tyres, why??
My old Krampus fits a 29x3” tyre and 36t chainring into a 135mm QR rear without a problem.
The front tyre needs to be coaxed passed the brake calliper on the 100mm forks but once it’s in there there’s bags of room.
The newer Krampus' with (gnot) boost seem to fit max 34t (which is what I'm running on mine, MY2017, and it's already tight), have a simpler yoke (surely quite a bit cheaper to make) and the boost front still asks for some tyre wiggling.
No idea if the chain stay became shorter though.

This is one of the reasons why I wrote
Alpinum wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:00 pm Companies have their reasons to change things, but mostly it's to make things easier for them. Easier = cheaper. Charge the same price as before = higher margin.
That's probably the main driver behind such things.
197 mm is a mobile horizontal bar. Handy to keep upper body strength on long riding trips. No idea how the industry names it.
Fun fact, I can fit my head inside my fatbike frame (well, that was also possible with 170 mm).
Taking the leap from 170 to 197 mm did change quite a few things for fatbikes, much more than going from 148 to 157 mm. It did just as much or even more than 135 mm vs. 148 mm.
htrider wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:14 pm we have tons of choice.
Indeed. Enough very good frames out there with boost, super boost or none of both.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

htrider wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:14 pm Actually I was thinking about our moans about compatibility, standards etc the other day whilst working on one of my motorcycles and realised we've got it incredibly good. We can buy a bike frame and choose from a load of different components at various levels of bling and dosh. Motorbikes have no fork or swing arm standards, no shock standards, no brake standards no headrace or chain and sprocket standards. You are stuck with what it was made with and If anything breaks you have to go to the manu for spares or if your model is fairly popular there may be after market things like levers, sprockets, disks, indicator lenses etc.

So cheer up folks, new standards aren't an issue as its easy enough to figure them out (most of the time!) and we have tons of choice. :-bd
You’re not wrong, I remember buying a new disk for a Honda V4 which had inboard disks, a terrible idea. Honda bent me over and extracted £150, I was 18 that was 33 years ago!!!
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Actually I was thinking about our moans about compatibility, standards etc the other day whilst working on one of my motorcycles and realised we've got it incredibly good. We can buy a bike frame and choose from a load of different components at various levels of bling and dosh. Motorbikes have no fork or swing arm standards, no shock standards, no brake standards no headrace or chain and sprocket standards. You are stuck with what it was made with and If anything breaks you have to go to the manu for spares or if your model is fairly popular there may be after market things like levers, sprockets, disks, indicator lenses etc.
Yes and compound that further by building one from scratch. :wink: I used to have an intimate knowledge of what bits would fit what bikes to achieve a desired result. At times, that knowledge was priceless as knowing what models shared the same diameter spindles, steering head bearing sizes or gearbox splines could literally save days.

Ooh cbx 550 Steve? One of my all time most despised bikes :-bd

Edit: no, can't be, you said v4, although I can't think which. Did the 500 have inboard discs?