Re: 3LW - problems?

Post by Lazarus »

hours of chidish fun awaits
I am off to bag
Slimy:stick:juices
Dean

Post by Dean »

I will be off to pink.flute.inspector and librarian.blows.banana (which is behind the back fence of a church).
Martin B

Post by Martin B »

I think i'll check out tender.curvy.buns then head over to nuns.milk.pirate :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

its the same problem its just getting wider coverage
I bet their PR dept is livid and going into overdrive and i hope someone does a truly free and open source W4W
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Seemed like this was useful info for anyone not bothering to read the BBC article (my emphasis, just for ease):
There are alternative systems such as OS Locate, a free app provided by Ordnance Survey, that allows people to locate themselves by GPS latitude and longitude co-ordinates as well as altitude, even without a mobile signal.

Sarloc and Phone Finder are tools that have been developed by mountain rescue team members, and these are used whenever possible to obtain an accurate location.

"While we welcome anything that could contribute to safety, we're wary of adding to people's reliance on their mobile phones." added Mr Lewis.

MREW is keen to encourage anyone planning a day in the outdoors to carry a paper map and a compass - and know how to use them - as well as a torch or head torch to use in the dark. They also advise registering your mobile for the text 999 service. On a windy or poor signal day, this can really help.
If you want more info about registering your phone you can google it or look here:

www.relayuk.bt.com/emergencysms

For those that don't know, SMS (or text messages) can be transmitted on the network in situations where a normal call cannot be made. So if you're stuck somewhere remote and there looks like little or no signal on your phone this might actually be useful.

However, YOU HAVE TO REGISTER YOUR PHONE BEFORE YOU TRY TO USE IT. So don't leave it until you're in the wilds :cool:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Just found a boners version of W3W

Much more appropriate I think - Four kings maps
https://www.fourkingmaps.co.uk/
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Ask Stu about his custom map...
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Tweed Valley MRT. Posted on FB today
Yesterday we were called to assist with the evacuation of a Mountain Biker in the Innerleithen area who had suffered a head and shoulder injury.
The initial incident location had been established using a popular mobile phone app but this mapped to an area about 1km from the incident site - this anomaly was picked up by our incident manager as the location didn't match the description of where the casualty said they were. Luckily the casualty party had also been able to ascertain an OS Grid reference which allowed us to deploy to the correct location.
We would urge users of mobile phone apps to cross check the position generated by any mapping app with what they understand their location to be and not assume the generated position is 100% accurate.
As an MRT we will always work with the information given to try and get to you as quickly and as safely as possible. Our preference is an OS Grid reference but we can work with any other location format such as Lat/Lon, What3Words, forest marker post numbers, local mountain bike trail names or even a a physical description of where you are.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

This one is much better, it uses 4 swear words instead. Not for the easily offended:

TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Pirahna wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:32 pm This one is much better, it uses 4 swear words instead. Not for the easily offended:

Oh my sweet God, by the Babee Jeebuz, that is funny. I am sure the older I get, the more puerile I become, but I've been checking out the locations of certain individuals in my life (my ex, a bloke who owes me £800, and a few others who have crossed me in the past few months) and it seems to have a filter that describes them all perfectly.

Thank you, sir. This has made my week, and it's only Monday.
Last edited by TheBrownDog on Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Post by RIP »

TheBrownDog wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:38 pm
Pirahna wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:32 pm This one is much better, it uses 4 swear words instead. Not for the easily offended:

Oh my sweet God, by the Babee Jeebuz, that is funny. I am sure the older I get, the more puerile I become, but I've been checking out the locations or certain individuals in my life (my ex, a bloke who owes me £800, and a few other turdburglars who have crossed me in the past few months) and it seems to have a filter that describes them all perfectly.

Yep marvellous that is. Glad to see that I live somewhere extremely rude. Although I have a sneaky suspicion it's just making them up whatever location you choose and different every time for the same location :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Last edited by Bearlegged on Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arkay

Post by arkay »

RIP wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:02 pm
TheBrownDog wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:38 pm

Oh my sweet God, by the Babee Jeebuz, that is funny. I am sure the older I get, the more puerile I become, but I've been checking out the locations or certain individuals in my life (my ex, a bloke who owes me £800, and a few other turdburglars who have crossed me in the past few months) and it seems to have a filter that describes them all perfectly.

Yep marvellous that is. Glad to see that I live somewhere extremely rude. Although I have a sneaky suspicion it's just making them up whatever location you choose and different every time for the same location :wink: .
Nope, it seems to be genuine. My house has the same four words even when I refresh the page.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Please could we insult the no-doubt-deserving-of-abuse individuals without using homophobic slurs? Thanks.
(I doubt it is anyone's intention to be homophobic, but it'd be nicer if such language could be consigned to the bin.)
+1
I agree
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Landslide wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:12 pm
turdburglars
Please could we insult the no-doubt-deserving-of-abuse individuals without using homophobic slurs? Thanks.
(I doubt it is anyone's intention to be homophobic, but it'd be nicer if such language could be consigned to the bin.)
My apologies. Edited.
I'm just going outside ...
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

:-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

From FB (it was the MRT post so whilst I believe a prudent approach is to treat everything on the internet as utter shyte.....).
Woodhead Mountain Rescue Team

☆☆ Callout ☆☆

Yesterday turned out to be a busy day for the team! With the Penistone Agricultural Show in full swing, a callout came through which required the teams assistance.
At 15:00 hours, a request came from Yorkshire Ambulance Service NHS Trust to assist with an injured mountain biker in Silkstone.
With a What3Words giving the team an inconclusive location, phone-find was used to pin point the casualties whereabouts. Shortly after a location was established, team members were on scene along with the paramedics.

The casualty had sustained a suspected back & neck injury along with a facial injury. Pain relief was administered before team members packaged the casualty into a vacuum mattress with head blocks to immobilise the neck & spine. The casualty was then placed onto the teams stretcher for a short carry off to the teams vehicle.
From there, the Discovery was able to drive the casualty out of the woods to the waiting ambulance.

We wish the gentleman a full and speedy recovery.

#WoodheadMRT #YorkshireAmbulanceService #SoMuchMoreThanMountains #Volunteers #Callout #Teamwork #MountainRescue Mountain Rescue England and Wales
Does W3W being a proprietary system prevent proper scrutiny?
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

All these modern business tack on a 'on the internet' to an old business idea and somehow it seems to get round all of the scrutiny and regulations.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

With a What3Words giving the team an inconclusive location,
It would be interesting to hear more details, just to get an understanding of the problems.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

.Does W3W being a proprietary system prevent proper scrutiny
That and there very active PR and legal teams
No doubt some are human error but it's also clear some similar named locations are relatively close to each other.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:05 am
With a What3Words giving the team an inconclusive location,
It would be interesting to hear more details, just to get an understanding of the problems.
MRT reports innit. Never usually a surplus of details :cool:
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

On my recent trip, when letting the Wife know where I was camping, W3W had me in the middle of a loch...told her I was skinny-dipping.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Sorry to open this can of worms again, but came across this on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/10006474813426 ... VfJQ4Cn5ul

TL;DR: Keswick MRT attend wrong location due to W3W error. Second such believable error in 3 days.