Has anyone actually managed to buy a bike this year?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ChrisS

Has anyone actually managed to buy a bike this year?

Post by ChrisS »

Ordered one in January, was supposed to be arriving in April. The delivery date was even brought forward at one stage, but now it’ll be midsummer ‘at the earliest’. Doesn’t sound too hopeful.

Meanwhile, I’m paying Cycle to Work for several months without even a sniff of a new bike. It might even be paid off by the time it arrives. Bonus, it’ll be like a free bike :-bd though would rather be riding it now.

So who has managed to get hold of a new bike this year and where the hell did you get it from?
ton

Re: Has anyone actually managed to buy a bike this year?

Post by ton »

me, i did.

from Keep pedalling.

Tony Ti 2.jpg
Tony Ti 2.jpg (133.01 KiB) Viewed 2651 times
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

A work colleague got himself a Spesh hardtail a couple of weeks back. Was a 2021 model. The bike shop said they are getting them in dribs and drabs and he was just lucky they had the right bike in the right size.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Fingers crossed a big box from Sonder arrives early June. I ordered it a week ago, glad I didn't ponder it much longer as the order books won't open again until November apparently... :o

I dropped into the local Evans at the weekend. I reckon they had a bike of each type in each size on display. I.e. if you wanted a large mtb you could have one but you might not have any choice in what it was! :lol:
FLV

Post by FLV »

Yes, but I don't like it.

If I can get around to cleaning it, I'll sell it. But there's nowt available to swap it for anyway. :lol:

Also been trying to buy my dad an ebike for months which I can't get.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

FLV wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:07 am Yes, but I don't like it.

If I can get around to cleaning it, I'll sell it. But there's nowt available to swap it for anyway. :lol:
If it’s a large gravel bike, I might be interested. Would you take a Cycle to Work voucher? :lol:
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

ton wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:40 pm me, i did.

from Keep pedalling.

Tony Ti 2.jpg
Nice :-bd
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

johnnystorm wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:06 pm Fingers crossed a big box from Sonder arrives early June. I ordered it a week ago, glad I didn't ponder it much longer as the order books won't open again until November apparently... :o
I was going to order a Camino at the beginning of the year, but at that stage they were saying November for the spec I wanted (GRX 2x). Think it would have been better to have been more flexible on components. Hope yours arrives as scheduled!
benp1

Post by benp1 »

ChrisS wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:07 am
johnnystorm wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:06 pm Fingers crossed a big box from Sonder arrives early June. I ordered it a week ago, glad I didn't ponder it much longer as the order books won't open again until November apparently... :o
I was going to order a Camino at the beginning of the year, but at that stage they were saying November for the spec I wanted (GRX 2x). Think it would have been better to have been more flexible on components. Hope yours arrives as scheduled!
I spoke to them about 2x GRX Camino Ti and when I heard about the potential delivery date, but with them not being able to guarantee anything, I decided against it

Bought a C2W voucher and used it to electrify my cargo bike instead. And I'm using that more at the moment so getting more benefit
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I got a PX Goldrush late last year (odered in Black Friday offer, delivered December-ish IIRC).

Serendipitously it's a large gravel wanger.

No. you can't have it.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

That's not this year though :???: :shock: :lol:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

benp1 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:55 am That's not this year though :???: :shock: :lol:
Oh, my bad, if only I'd been specific about the dates :roll: :lol:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I think that Shimano have been particularly badly affected by lockdown and associated hassles. When I first started looking it was May 24th, a week later the bike had slipped accordingly. Now they're not allowing more orders until November.

Both SX & NX specs were offered but GX hasn't been an option all the while I've been looking.
FLV

Post by FLV »

ChrisS wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:05 am
FLV wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:07 am Yes, but I don't like it.

If it’s a large gravel bike, I might be interested. Would you take a Cycle to Work voucher? :lol:
According to bikepacking.com, its the ultimate gravel bike (mines not the X)

https://bikepacking.com/bikes/kona-unit-x-review/
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

If you can't be bothered with ringing about then CRC are pretty good with their updates on stock. You do have to be very quick and not hesitate. They put a few up and they are often gone within half an hour!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Mate mamaged to get his Commencal Meta 29er which he had to wait upon...

I've ordered a SC highball but it was the last one available in my size from Stif... Yet to land in the country though and ETA is June I think...
redefined_cycles

*sorry. That's just the frame :smile:
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

johnnystorm wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:36 am If you can't be bothered with ringing about then CRC are pretty good with their updates on stock. You do have to be very quick and not hesitate. They put a few up and they are often gone within half an hour!
Thanks, I think technically I could cancel my Ribble order and use the C2W voucher elsewhere, but not sure how easy that would be. Just kicking myself about the bikes I passed over in January because they weren't quite right, when I could have been riding one of them by now rather than waiting for components that are stuck in Calais or the Suez Canal or haven't even been manufactured yet...
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:41 am *sorry. That's just the frame :smile:
From what I've heard, you're very lucky to get hold of a Santa Cruz frame... out of my budget anyhow!
redefined_cycles

ChrisS wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:02 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:41 am *sorry. That's just the frame :smile:
From what I've heard, you're very lucky to get hold of a Santa Cruz frame... out of my budget anyhow!
Yup... Still got to pay the outstanding balance yet though but I got on 6 months interest free... So best get working my bottom off :sad:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Update just emailed through, will be built w/c 7th June. :-bd
Tam

Post by Tam »

Yup, managed to get a Merida Big Trail in January. Was considering it or a Vitus Sentier which was showing in stock (after a stock alert) on CRC. Called my local shop and they had Meridas coming in the following day - must have been fate! Sure enough they turned up and I'm now the very happy owner of one - with Shimano Deore. Have seen a few about so, either they were the least desirable bikes on the market or they just had a good supply of them.

FLV

Post by FLV »

Tam wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:39 am Yup, managed to get a Merida Big Trail in January.
That looks a nice bike :-bd
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Tam wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:39 am Yup, managed to get a Merida Big Trail in January. Was considering it or a Vitus Sentier which was showing in stock (after a stock alert) on CRC. Called my local shop and they had Meridas coming in the following day - must have been fate! Sure enough they turned up and I'm now the very happy owner of one - with Shimano Deore. Have seen a few about so, either they were the least desirable bikes on the market or they just had a good supply of them.
I do like the look of those. Love my Big Nine, but it can feel a bit scary on the steeper stuff.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

ChrisS wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:30 pm who has managed to get hold of a new bike this year and where the hell did you get it from?
I don't need one, but recently was at the Bold HQ.
Whilst their at it (selling/preparing bikes for customers) as never before, they have all of their models (with var. colours, sizes) available with about 3 weeks lead time (to build them up).
You could always just get your frame, could pick it up immediately.

Also they still have the components. Which is why I was there. No issue to get SRAM stuff :-bd