Bar light...probably again sorry!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AndreR

Bar light...probably again sorry!

Post by AndreR »

I wonder if I might consult the oracle and or the collective expertise please?

I am looking for a new front light as my Ho Chi Min of 3 years has started switching itself off mid-ride. It wasn't brilliant but not totally sub standard enough to get chuckled before it died. Can be switched back on again but not great in a fastish section. Riding is mostly cross country single track with some road sections, winter road riding and occasional after dark bikeppacking. I have reasonable night vision and use a helmet light in tricky sections so "night into day" is not high on the priorities right now.

Looking for some recommendations please, found a remote battery a bit of a faff so leaning toward a self contained unit at the moment. Don't mind paying for quality as long as they aren't taking the mick.

Had planned to get an Alpkit unit but its no longer available so current leader is Exposure Toro but open to suggestion.

Thanks for any input
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Bar light...probably again sorry!

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

These days, I struggle to see beyond Exposure*.

*No pun intended but had I, I could have dragged it out a bit and I think, made it quite funny.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I’m a very happy Toro owner
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I find an Exposure Joystick enough for 95% of my riding, it's only limiting on fast, techy DH stuff.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Toro is a great light but I sold mine on and went for a Diablo because there are times I just want a light on my head. It's not as powerful or long lasting as the Toro but does me fine.
Last edited by TheBrownDog on Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm just going outside ...
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I’m another Exposure convert. I have a Joystick and just bought a MaxxD to replace a dying bar light. I’d have bought a Toro but I ride with a group who own Six Packs, so you have to compete or be cast in shadow. :roll:
ton

Post by ton »

mtb batteries lumenator here. been perfect for 5 years iirc,

https://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mountain ... lumenator/
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

has started switching itself off mid-ride
Almost certainly a dying battery that could be replaced if you prefer

MTB Batteries as above will do them for you
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:14 pm These days, I struggle to see beyond Exposure*.

*No pun intended but had I, I could have dragged it out a bit and I think, made it quite funny.
:-bd

Thanks for the time everyone Exposure it is.
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

A bit late but I'd add my vote for Exposure lights as well. I've faffed about with various cheap and not so cheap Chinese lights over the years before cracking and treating myself to a Toro. At the time I felt that the other lights were good (to be fair they were pretty decent considering their relatively low cost) but the Toro is just next level. I use it for riding techy trails on the highest settings and turn it down for bikepacking, commuting etc and it's just a fantastic bit of kit.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Another Exposure fan here, joystick & Maxx-D works a treat
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Slight thread hijack.

But if you was supplementing a Strada SB to provide enough light for off road will the Joystick be enough? Or would I want to dig around in the sofa for a Diablo/Zenith.

For context, I’m more worried about having enough light than the price.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I ride off road with my Strada SB. the one with a 1,500 lumen max for two hours

So far it's been fine with a joystick or a diablo, I have both.

I have these lights from my bike commuting days, even though I'm not doing that anymore. I found the Strada to be surprisingly acceptable and having enough light on my own hasn't been a problem. If riding in a group with really powerful lights (e.g. 6 pack) then you might find it lacking, but so far it's been fine. The remote on the light is really useful, I toggle between settings as needed as the button on next to my shifter

I had a ride around the blue run at QECP last night and the Strada was fine. It's on 2/6 mode, you could easily get away with less light. It's only on the faster bits that the high was helpful, on low it would've been fine for most of it. You can't see around corners with a bar light anyway. Used the diablo on my lid last night, worked just great
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I got an Exposure Axis at the beginning of the week and I’m sorry to say that I’m pretty underwhelmed.

It’s a good bit behind the Moon 1300 Ive been using in terms of reach and spread. I’d thought that it would be similar in output given they are both claimed 1300 lumens, just with less burn time (due to the integrated battery)

Sadly that isn’t the case and I’m going to send it back, for an RRP of £190 I had expected much more. I’m a bit surprised as all I’ve heard is positive things about exposure lights so I’m wondering if anyone else had similar experiences?
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

One thing to bear in mind is that the default Reflex mode throttles the output based on your current speed which won’t be everyone’s tastes. Have you tried the other program modes?
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

PaulB2 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:10 pm One thing to bear in mind is that the default Reflex mode throttles the output based on your current speed which won’t be everyone’s tastes. Have you tried the other program modes?
Was going to say this also. I was pretty nonplussed with my Toro in Reflex setting when I was shining it in the house when I first got it but once I was actually rolling and the Reflex boost kicks in it's very bright. That's part of the story for me but the other thing that I love about my light is the ability to change the programs to suit different types of riding. On an overnighter gravel ride late last year I set it pretty dim but with a long run time for riding non technical forest type tracks whereas when I'm riding my local techy trails for a couple of hours I can boost the brightness at the cost of some runtime (which I don't need in that scenario).
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

That does sound like a useful feature but it’s not included with the Axis. It has ‘tap’ technology which when enabled allows you to tap the light to cycle through the 3 settings instead of pressing the button on the back.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I assumed it does because of the R on the first 3 modes on the latest versions but it could just be a standardised template they etch on.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Looks like reflex is just for the 4 MTB bar mount specific lights (race, torro, max-d & 6 pack) not the helmet lights such as Joystick/Axis/Diablo