WRT 2021.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Verena

Re: WRT 2021.

Post by Verena »

:cry: have already arranged a weekend with my bestest mate then, who I haven't seen since well before covid....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not particularly comfortable with B&Bs, bunkhouses etc yet.
But the pubs were banking on a visit from Richard 'gasping fish' Garcia :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
barney

Post by barney »

I'm in... looking forward to holding on to my title of fewest checkpoints bagged !!! :-bd :-bd
Wait for me...
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Shall have to revisit the calendar. I, like some others didn't expect the good news to happen so soon....

I already moved our visitors from the weekend before due to a rescheduled bike event. They are going to think I am well weird to ask them to delay again for the same reason 😂😂

I would be gutted to miss WRT... I love it

Si
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:57 am
Not particularly comfortable with B&Bs, bunkhouses etc yet.
But the pubs were banking on a visit from Richard 'gasping fish' Garcia :wink:
:lol:

True enough. I believe I feature in quarterly financial reports.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

I was looking forward to this, won't be able to make it though I'm afraid. Sounds like a good crack.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Yesss! I’m in. Again. :-bd One question, will it be the “traditional” WRT starting from BB Towers, or the mk II like last year?
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

One question, will it be the “traditional” WRT starting from BB Towers,
That's the plan presently Lu.
drain

Post by drain »

Yay, I’m in! Negotiated the Lite as already booked for the Monday - it’ll be a first, usually do both nights but it’s probably for the best as it’ll only be 4 months after my hip replacement :-bd
pb2

Post by pb2 »

I'm in - Barney, Matt and I will doing our very best to bag the minimum check points and have the most fun. Not long to get at least a modicum of fitness in to these old legs :-bd
chris n

Post by chris n »

Dyffers and I are in. :-bd
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Possibly in Wales already that weekend. Will make enquires as to family plans for that weekend and If I can bring a bike. Start of 1/2 term, so I'm tempted to go, then ride back to Yorkshire afterwards.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

As usual, I'll be there to listen to Matt's jokes. :-bd
He made quite a funny one earlier today. :wink:
Verena

Post by Verena »

Just seen a hashtag on Instagram: #wrt2021relay

That confused me :mrgreen:

It's something completely different of course.

But could it be a thing for us???
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I'm in. My first WRT so be gentle!
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

summittoppler wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:28 pm I'm in. My first WRT so be gentle!
I look forward to the video. :-bd
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
nagasaki45

Post by nagasaki45 »

Thinking about how to get there and back and I have a few questions:
- Where are the starting/ending points?
- I see that the ride starts at 1pm, but when do people usually arrive? Will be nice to meet some of this community face-to-face before the ride (and win the "heaviest bike" award :lol:).
- Is anyone heading there from London? Will be happy to join and either share expenses if with a car or just have a nice train(?) journey together instead of going alone. A lift from Birmingham / Shrewsbury might also be helpful.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Starts and ends at Stuart's place. Park in the field and meet in the courtyard. It's in Pennant, Powys

From the morning onwards. It's a very relaxed start. Usually there are quite a few of us in the Star Inn the night before, staying in the field, the pub or the car park. Means there are a few sociable pints beforehand.

To be honest, there aren't that many that head up from London I don't think. Train is OK but won't get you there, it'll get you close and then it's a cycle over. Quite a few do that though so you'll have some company I'm sure
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

From the morning onwards. It's a very relaxed start. Usually there are quite a few of us in the Star Inn the night before, staying in the field, the pub or the car park. Means there are a few sociable pints beforehand.
Star has changed hands. A little bird tells me it may only reopen as a B&B and not a pub.
To be honest, there aren't that many that head up from London I don't think. Train is OK but won't get you there, it'll get you close and then it's a cycle over. Quite a few do that though so you'll have some company I'm sure
Worth checking the trains. Another little bird tells me that the entire line from Shrewsbury to Aber' will be closed throughout May :roll:
trogladytes

Post by trogladytes »

[quote=Bearbonesnorm post_id=258995 time=1619705604
Worth checking the trains. Another little bird tells me that the entire line from Shrewsbury to Aber' will be closed throughout May :roll:
[/quote]

Yep, replacement bus service only, when I checked :cry:
psling

Post by psling »

Just to expand on benp1's answer, it's the Pennant between Llanidloes and Llanbrynmair (there are probably 10 or more 'Pennants' in Powys!!

Yes, arrive any time in the morning for the social aspect, bike-weighing, freebie-throw-out, tea, coffee, speeches, etc.. Remember, the Star Inn, Dylife may be subject to Covid restrictions for accommodation the night before.

Reg (RIP) is the man to ask about trains - he usually disembarks at Caersws and rides across.

Which all reminds me, I must enter :cool:

EDIT: alternatively ignore all of the above in light of Stu's posting whilst I was one-finger-typing :roll: :lol: :lol:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Blimey, the little birds in Wales are very clever and very talkative. The little birds down here just eat all the seeds we put in the bird feeder :shock:

Shame about the Star, it was nice to have a drink the night before and then a big fry up in the morning. Will have to come up with another plan...

Trains sounds a bit of a nightmare. Buses and bikes don't really mix well
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

On google maps search for Pennant, LLanbrynmair and then if you zoom in a little you'll see the Bear Bones BikePacking location.
RIP

Post by RIP »

psling wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:19 pm Reg (RIP) is the man to ask about trains - he usually disembarks at Caersws and rides across.
Aye usually it's a very chilled way of getting there. Never had a problem.

Then again, sounds like these overactive avians know something I don't this year :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
nagasaki45

Post by nagasaki45 »

Oh... this train situation looks tricky. An extra day off to cycle from Shrewsbury, maybe? :|