Whats better than a Hunka but not?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Whats better than a Hunka but not?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Looking at replacing my AK bovvy bag (if Ton takes the Hunka) so wondered what options I have if I'm reducing my AK footprint?

Budget around £100. Needs to be waterproof and light(ish).

Please... thanks
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lune ranger

Re: Whats better than a Hunka (crappy AK) but not?

Post by lune ranger »

Oh boy!
For a generous and charitable sort of a chap you really know how to hold a grudge.
I really, really hope that I never manage to p1ss you off :-bd :grin: :???:
Rab Ultralight maybe, but it’s about 3 times the price of an Alpkit - eVent fabric though.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You'll struggle to find something as good for anywhere near the same money. RAB Storm might be worth a look - it's tough, fully waterproof but will cost around £100. Another option worthy of consideration would be a Sierra Designs Backcountry bivvy but it'll likely be over £100 unless you can drop on one.

https://wildbounds.com/collections/sier ... uyEALw_wcB
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ivy-p14513

Not in stock but it seems ULOG also like the backcountry... if it's as waterproof/breathing as the Hunka it might just be the one as it saves me 50g too :lol:
jameso

Post by jameso »

"Let it go, let it go..."
:grin:

AK make good kit, you're limiting your choices over a brand issue when the most sensible thing to do is just avoid carbon bikes.. :wink:
redefined_cycles

jameso wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:15 pm "Let it go, let it go..."
:grin:

AK make good kit, you're limiting your choices over a brand issue when the most sensible thing to do is just avoid carbon bikes.. :wink:
Lol... nah, honestly I'm good and would have happily used the Hunka had Ton not needed one. I think he's more deserving of 'good kit by good people' :lol:

I'm still using the spectacles (they're happy yellow lens) until someone wants a pair :smile:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I might buy more Alpkit stuff to redress the balance as I rate them as a company
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If it's any consolation Shaf, I'll have nothing to do with the thieves and crooks at On One/Planet X. :lol:
redefined_cycles

Dave Barter wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:54 pm I might buy more Alpkit stuff to redress the balance as I rate them as a company
Thanks Dave. I'd really appreciate if you could please :grin:
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:13 pm If it's any consolation Shaf, I'll have nothing to do with the thieves and crooks at On One/Planet X. :lol:
That's right Colin. Hence why I saved up a year (to purchase the frame) and then some 1 year worth of accumulating parts, as I was buying from 'The AK'. Such a pity as I spent about 10 years as a happy customer without ever needing to chase up the warranty - well I did once but the item was out of warranty so it was all good.

For 'balance', it's not the fact that the pile of poo broke riding up a climb (fair enough it was the Peaks and they weren't gnarly :lol: ), it's the communication from the brother at AK. As soon as I challenged the response was more a 'lets just ignore' as opposed to an apology. I did send em my demonstration that the frame was actually as strong as they'd said it was, except for that bit it pulled apart.... The response was another 'ignore'. All comms was impeccably polite :lol:

Anyway, where was I... Oh, the balance thing... Yes, I've spent almost 10 years singing their praises so, erm... :lol:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I had a falling out with Alpkit over the original Gamma headtorch. I had three fail in exactly the same way (the clips on the battery compartment lid snapped off). I commented about this issue because I thought it was a good product spoiled by a small design fault and that a headtorch is potentially a vital piece of safety equipment that should be reliable. They totally fobbed me off claiming that it was my fault not a design flaw (which was rubbish, I could accept that I could break one by being cackhanded but not three). I wasn't looking for a replacement or freebie, I was just trying to give them product feedback but they weren't prepared to listen.
I sulked and didn't buy anything else off them for quite a while but my principles eventually deserted me and I've subsequently bought loads more stuff off them (because most of it is decent and reasonably priced).
Ever since then I've just regarded them as a run of the mill outdoors retailer though, I don't buy into the "do good things, go nice places" thing, they're just a company trying to make a profit ultimately (which is fine).
Last edited by Jurassic on Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chew

Post by Chew »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:33 am Looking at replacing my AK Bivi bag (if Ton takes the Hunka) so wondered what options I have if I'm reducing my AK footprint?
Is this the one I gave you?

If it is than pass it on to Tony for free.
Although I’d have thought he’d struggle to fit inside a regular sized one.
redefined_cycles

Chew wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:10 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:33 am Looking at replacing my AK Bivi bag (if Ton takes the Hunka) so wondered what options I have if I'm reducing my AK footprint?
Is this the one I gave you?

If it is than pass it on to Tony for free.
Although I’d have thought he’d struggle to fit inside a regular sized one.
nope Chew. I upgraded that one to an XL a long time ago. Poor wording from title removed :o

NB. I believe I moved that on to someone just like you kindly moved it on to me in the first place. The XL I bought off Allen who upgraded to their lighter version...
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redefined_cycles

Jurassic wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:46 pm eventually deserted me and I've subsequently bought loads more stuff of them (because most of it is decent and reasonably priced).
Ever since then I've just regarded them as a run of the mill outdoors retailer though, I don't buy into the "do good things, go nice places" thing, they're just a company trying to make a profit ultimately (which is fine).
Thanks... yes, that's probably the way I'll go at some point. For the moment I don't fancy their stuff. Similar situation with me btw, it was the apology that was lacking and what made me a little sad...
voodoo_simon

Re: Whats better than a Hunka but not?

Post by voodoo_simon »

Haven’t read all the above but sportspursuit have the RAB alpine bivi for £135 instead of £270

Both me and Scotroutes have one and we both rate them (at least from memory, he does)
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

What does "reducing your AK footprint" mean please?

You looking at not buying from them any more?

Becuse you won't go far wrong with the Alpkit Kloke
redefined_cycles

JohnClimber wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:26 pm What does "reducing your AK footprint" mean please?

You looking at not buying from them any more?

Becuse you won't go far wrong with the Alpkit Kloke
For the moment Jon I'm staying away. Just whilst I get my head round losing my £800 on a frame that cracked but I was told it's crash damage (full stop)... Kindly they agreed on a crash replacement but when I saw the light (IMO... other opinions may very) and told em that I wasn't happy at the service, comms quickly came to a suddne halt.

Just not happy with em to be fair... but I'm sure mine was just a random situation and they are much more forthcoming to the rest of their customers. Happy sales to em :-bd (and no offence to anyone else that really likes em, I'm not trying to put em down)...
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Jurassic wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:46 pm I had a falling out with Alpkit over the original Gamma headtorch. I had three fail in exactly the same way (the clips on the battery compartment lid snapped off). I commented about this issue because I thought it was a good product spoiled by a small design fault and that a headtorch is potentially a vital piece of safety equipment that should be reliable. They totally fobbed me off claiming that it was my fault not a design flaw (which was rubbish, I could accept that I could break one by being cackhanded but not three). I wasn't looking for a replacement or freebie, I was just trying to give them product feedback but they weren't prepared to listen.
I sulked and didn't buy anything else off them for quite a while but my principles eventually deserted me and I've subsequently bought loads more stuff off them (because most of it is decent and reasonably priced).
Not just me then that's broken a couple of them then :roll: I use laggy bands or zip ties to keep using them but they're relegated to car camping or other "non-critical" stuff. My hill bag has Petzl or Fenix stuff that I feel I can rely on irrespective of how I treat it (within reason) or the working environment (cold and wet).

TBH, I treat Alpkit like some of the PX stuff - it might be great but it might not be quite so good and could have easily come out of a generic manufacturer's catalogue in China or whatever / wherever.

Hey ho, they're hardly a global-evil-mega-corp :lol:
redefined_cycles

Mine was a (I think called) Muon headtorch. Stopped working (well all hit and miss) within a year or 2 of buying it and always assumed it was the batteries being rehcargeables. Finally got round to replacing the batteries with a few other options and same thing with the on/off being hit and miss. Contacted em but was out of warranty by then but I'm pretty certain they'd have replaced it... well, the email sounded promising.

Lets stop having a dig at AK now and say they take us to nice places and help us do nice things :smile:
FLV

Post by FLV »

I prefer any bivi bag with a closed top to the alpkit ones. I prefer to be enclosed in my sleep system to keep the midge etc out of my face.

Generally I prefer a small tent these days but do occasionally use a bivi of the non pole variety. When I do, I have an MSR AC which works well for me. Especially if sleeping under some trees as it has a a little tab which can we tethered to a branch holding the material off the face.
I used to use a Borah bag and tarp, which worked well for years.

On the AK thoughts.
For what its worth, I had pretty average customer service. They actually did the right thing and gave my money back but there was a lot of odd suggestions, some minor expense to me plus waiting and a bit of badgering. Whilst I am happy to buy from them still, it will only be in the capacity of a catalogue part importer that saves me the trouble of sourcing myself.

I know that's not a very popular opinion round these parts.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've a Rab Ascent bivvy but its heavy - 600 odd grams. Given my tarp and borah bivvy is less than 100 grams heavier and allows for much more weather protection I barely use it. Lighter still is a tyvek bivvy bag / tarp combo - https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/product/tyvek-bivvy-bag/
https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/product/ ... tarp-377g/
Local (ish) as well :wink:
redefined_cycles

htrider wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:31 am I've a Rab Ascent bivvy but its heavy - 600 odd grams. Given my tarp and borah bivvy is less than 100 grams heavier and allows for much more weather protection I barely use it. Lighter still is a tyvek bivvy bag / tarp combo - https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/product/tyvek-bivvy-bag/
https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/product/ ... tarp-377g/
Local (ish) as well :wink:
Funny you should say that. I was just contemplating getting that (again) and using with the TT outer. Thanks Phil...
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

The Snugpak Special Forces Bivvy Bag could be worth a look. The zip makes it easier to get in and out of too.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It's a RAB Ascent I use too. In fact I was in it on Friday night. 583g including the midge net. I've briefly looked at others but it's waterproof, breathable, has the midge hood and has proven to be really robust.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

The RAB alpine bivi is currently half price on SP - stated weight is 470g

this is the older ‘event’ version - the newer model is pertex shield and slightly lighter.

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/pr ... id/2220490