Borah bivy or mesh inner for a Gatewood.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chew

Re: Borah bivy or mesh inner for a Gatewood.

Post by Chew »

Potentially cheeky stealth ad, but I have a Borah Bivi which might be happy to part with.

Would have to dig it out and check on the spec, but I haven’t used it for a number of years, and probably won’t so someone else may as well have some enjoyment out of it.

Let me have a think about it before anyone goes the customs roulette route...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Raggedstone wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:10 pm Is the standard /standard Borah Bivvy bag large enough to have the sleeping mat in the bag as well as the sleeping bag ?
Plenty big enough. As Stu notes, the average American is a bit bigger than over here. The standard Borah is the same width as the Alpkit Hunka XL. I can get -30C rated sleeping bag, Exped Winterlite mat and me inside with room to spare. (I'm 1.80m tall and 85kg for reference)
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Gpl23

Post by Gpl23 »

Got a reply from John at Borah Gear. They still do direct to the UK and a lot cheaper than Outdoorline who ask for a minimum £135 spend before they will deliver to the UK.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Chew wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:05 pm Potentially cheeky stealth ad, but I have a Borah Bivi which might be happy to part with.

Would have to dig it out and check on the spec, but I haven’t used it for a number of years, and probably won’t so someone else may as well have some enjoyment out of it.

Let me have a think about it before anyone goes the customs roulette route...

If you decide to sell, I’d be very interested. Couldn’t justify buying one new but I’d definitely take one that’s not getting used. PM me if you’re selling. Thanks.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
kvragu

Post by kvragu »

kvragu wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:17 am Although I just got it and only set it up in the garden only, the borah bivvy fits in terms of surface area but the head tieout is a bit tricky. The panel is not under tension and the inner attachment is not really high enough. I was meaning to experiment a bit but just didn't get round to it.
I take this back. The tieout on the mesh end of the bivy can be attached to gatewood's panel, and it works great. Just ignore the little string.
Mart

Post by Mart »

I use a Tyvek bivi bag - just as light a borah but more waterproof and breathable at the same time

Get mine on Aliexpress for about £25 :-bd
Got myself a spare but not managed to destroy the first one yet
2924 miles per Gallon
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Same here. You can even avoid AliExpress *and* make Borderer happy by ordering one from Joe's shop of bikepacking wonders:
https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/product/tyvek-bivvy-bag/
kvragu

Post by kvragu »

I keep meaning to test how waterproof the tyvek bag really is - I think the seams wouldn't hold up under any saturation. That said, the back is a solid panel, so it should be fine in place of a groundsheet.

It's only no use for bugs, where the borah comes in.

There are cheap bivvies like the borah on Ali, but they're way too short for me at 6ft. Real shame.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Landslide wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:28 pm Same here. You can even avoid AliExpress *and* make Borderer happy by ordering one from Joe's shop of bikepacking wonders:
https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/product/tyvek-bivvy-bag/
Wish I’d looked there first - would have happily bought local :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
Gpl23

Post by Gpl23 »

Having just ordered by bivy bag from Borah Gear I can attested to what others have said. John from Borah Gear is fantastic, helpful and friendly. 😀😀😀
RIP

Post by RIP »

Made a very tiny mod to my Gatewood which saves valuable microseconds when it's pissing with rain. Well it's not really a mod or a MYOG come to that, more a packing foible. I've already marked the two front side tie outs with red gaffer tape and the rear one with yellow, but it still takes time to find the flash of yellow which needs to be pegged first. So now when packing I stuff the pocket quickly but I tuck the yellow tab in at the very last moment leaving the loop sticking out. Time to unpack in pissing rain: take the quick-access single peg kept in a stemcell and test the ground, put Gatewood bag on ground, stick peg in yellow tie out (which is also only yellow on the top side so we instantly get things right way up), then pull bag away from it unfurling the canopy. Extract other pegs and pole, two red tie outs pegged then the rest is easy.

Well it is Friday night, come on.

(PS. on topic: S2S bug net hung off two graduated 0.5mm lines inside...)
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster