Ghetto tubelessing a road wheel

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Ghetto tubelessing a road wheel

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hypothetically speaking - though I am keeping an eye on a deep Dura Ace rim thats not tubeless specific - what would be your top few tips should some retard decide to try it...

I'm thinking in no particular order:

Reinforce the tubeless valave area even more than I'd usually from inside and out :o

Make sure I don't go over tires witmore than 60psi -so that'd mean a 32c tyre as the minimal.

Wrap extra tubeless tape whilst sealing it all and ensure the edges are covered fully - so maybe they might give me an extra few psi of pressure leeway...

Keep an eye around the rim for cracking prematurely

______
What have a missed
ScotRoutes

Re: Ghetto tubelessing a road wheel

Post by ScotRoutes »

Take out a life insurance policy?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I tried it once Shaff but it didnae work. There are no flat bits in a normal road rim to hold the tyre bead in place so it would inflate but unseat almost immediately and lose all pressure.

Road tubeless is a bit iffy anyway as the pressures are so high the sealant general doesn't other than for thorns or tacks.
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:29 pm Take out a life insurance policy?
Yes... this is whats stopped me from experimentation all these years... Though before they started doing proper tubeless wheels I did ghetto tubeless some 'HPLUS sons' but they're super strong things that I could afford to experiment with... :smile:
redefined_cycles

htrider wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:04 pm I tried it once Shaff but it didnae work. There are no flat bits in a normal road rim to hold the tyre bead in place so it would inflate but unseat almost immediately and lose all pressure.

Road tubeless is a bit iffy anyway as the pressures are so high the sealant general doesn't other than for thorns or tacks.
Thanks, erm, Phil ( :grin: did I get it right... surely you can't be Dave again :lol: bloomin dyslexia)... Yeah, the pressures are a pest on road tubeless. Anything above 70psi and I reckon it's mental to even consider. But between 60 and 75 I've had good results of em sealing a hole out. Obviously it was a thorn or something stuck in there to help plug the hole.

I've been on the road tubeless (proper tr wheels and tires) for the past 3 or almost 4 years now and really love it)...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Phil it is :grin:
I've never had much luck tubeless within anything other than plus or fat bike tyres. Must just be me...
Delv4

Post by Delv4 »

I've been running "Ghetto" tubeless on a pair of Mavic Kysrium (non tubeless) disc wheels for two years now, no issues at all with tyres unmounting (though its always on your mind). Gorilla tape and Stans sealant, working a treat for sealing and p repair. 28mm tubeless tyre @ 65psi
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

Delv4 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:24 pm I've been running "Ghetto" tubeless on a pair of Mavic Kysrium (non tubeless) disc wheels for two years now, no issues at all with tyres unmounting (though its always on your mind). Gorilla tape and Stans sealant, working a treat for sealing and p repair. 28mm tubeless tyre @ 65psi
I've used Gorilla Tape and Stans on my old Hybrid too. It can be a PITA to get the tyre seated (Maxxis Ramblers were ok, WTB Nanos turned out to be a bit of an ordeal). I run 30PSI on the front, 40 or 50 on the back depending on whether I'm mainly on or off road. That's on a 700C wheel with 40mm tyres.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
pb2

Post by pb2 »

I ran ghetto tubeless for over 3 years on non tubeless Campy rims with tubeless tyres. I had no issues, pressure front was circa 80 and rear 85. Over and above rim tape I wrapped the rim with 2 or 3 continuous wraps of heavy duty cling film (plenty on Amazon or eBay). I have a fair bit of tubeless experience going back to circa 2006 on my Turner Flux but honestly it was relatively easy to do. My main reason for doing this on a road bike was simply to see if I could and what it was like to ride.
redefined_cycles

The Cumbrian wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:24 pm
Delv4 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:24 pm I've been running "Ghetto" tubeless on a pair of Mavic Kysrium (non tubeless) disc wheels for two years now, no issues at all with tyres unmounting (though its always on your mind). Gorilla tape and Stans sealant, working a treat for sealing and p repair. 28mm tubeless tyre @ 65psi
I've used Gorilla Tape and Stans on my old Hybrid too. It can be a PITA to get the tyre seated (Maxxis Ramblers were ok, WTB Nanos turned out to be a bit of an ordeal). I run 30PSI on the front, 40 or 50 on the back depending on whether I'm mainly on or off road. That's on a 700C wheel with 40mm tyres.
Thanks Cumbrian (sorry, forgot name :sad: )... problem with anything above 65psi is that you end up double guessing if/when the sidewalls are gonna give up. 60 psi is probably the lowest I would be able to run on 28c/32c road tires... :smile: