Yet another light 1p shelter thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

nagasaki45

Yet another light 1p shelter thread

Post by nagasaki45 »

Hi all,

I really need to stop carrying my 3 person 2.75kg tent. Looking for advice for 1 person lightweight(-ish) shelter. Really hope to spend 10+ nights in this this summer, riding some bits of the King Alfred's Way, South Downs Way, maybe start the Great North Trail (in sections).

Requirements:
- Big enough to comfortably spend some time in, including cooking in the vestibule and sitting up. I'm 6 foot.
- Pitched outer first.
- Simple design. Not necessarily easy to pitch, but prefer something that doesn't need many poles, many pegs, crawling in to insert poles / attach inner tent etc.
- Would love to have one that can setup quite open, ideally with side entry, to enjoy the view on nice weather.
- Packs small and sub 1.5kg.
- Budget is about £100-150. Preferably 2nd hand.

I've started from reading about the Lunar Solo or Lanshan 1 pro (a Chinese knock-off, right?). They tick all boxes. The Lunar Solo is borderline in budget. I have trekking poles that I can start with before upgrading to Stu's pole :smile:

Now I'm thinking maybe a tarp and a bivvy will be better. I know nothing about these, and just started "researching" the topic today. It feels like the most versatile solution, and can definitely be opened up on nice nights. I especially like the idea of being able to sit inside, on the bivvy, while cooking / faffing with gear, without taking my shoes off. It's impossible with my current tent (Vaude Taurus 3p), because it's really uncomfortable to sit inside with the feet outside and have enough room in the vestibule for cooking. Don't know how comfortable it is to do with the Lunar Solo. For bivvy, the Borah Ultralight Side Zipper and the Sierra Designs Backcountry Bivy look ace. I guess my requirements from a bivvy is to be large enough for my pad, with a zipper, "splash proof", and have a bug net that can be pulled to the ceiling. These two are expensive though... Regarding the tarp, was thinking maybe the Arixci shaped tarp. Don't really know.

What would you suggest? A hybrid tent like the Lunar Solo or Lanshan 1 Pro, or a tarp and bivvy? If tarp and bivvy what will you recommend within the budget? Or maybe something completely different.

I've read a few threads here, but to tell the truth, it's a bit hard to search for "tarp/bivvy/tent" on the forum.

Thanks!
Tom
Lazarus

Re: Yet another light 1p shelter thread

Post by Lazarus »

Can of worms opened

Its personal choice - cannot really help on tents for someone that size but you have the two -I think the treker stealth will be a tad small for getting into [ i have one not a slight] and unlikely to meet your price point
Stu is going to say Gatewood cape as its a bit of both
i dont bivvy unless its great weather and would not have just a bivvy and tarp for a multi day outing -many many others will disagree
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's true, I would often suggest a Gatewood Cape but in this instance, I reckon you'll find it cramped. Instead, I reckon you'd be well served by a Luxe Mini Peak. They have a separate inner which clips in (not a faff to fit) yet with that in place they still provide loads of room for cooking / storage.

They're quick and simple to pitch. Have 2 opening sides for that airy feel and a new one is around budget. Much of the time, you could simply use the outer with a simple groundsheet which would negate the need for a bivvy bag.

https://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shel ... 6-139.html

May the bridges you burn light your way
Verena

Post by Verena »

This looks similar to the DD Super light pyramid tent?https://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd_p ... rom_cat=43
I've not used mine lots yet, but when I have I thought it was great, would definitely take that on multiday trips
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

This looks similar to the DD Super light pyramid tent?
Does that have any peak vents V?
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I've got a mini peak and I put my pad and bag in the inner tent and unclip it from the roof and sit on it when relaxing, cooking ect then just hook it back up at bedtime it makes it feel bigger, I also got my gravel bike in the porch when I was in a campsite before too, id add a photo but I cant do it lol
nagasaki45

Post by nagasaki45 »

Thanks for the recommendations!
Lazarus wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:06 am I think the treker stealth will be a tad small for getting into and unlikely to meet your price point
Yeah, I think the stealth is a good example of what I don't want: looks like an excellent escape from the elements, but really disconnected from the outdoors and not made to live in, just to sleep in.
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:09 am I reckon you'd be well served by a Luxe Mini Peak.
firestarter wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:24 am I've got a mini peak and I put my pad and bag in the inner tent and unclip it from the roof and sit on it when relaxing, cooking ect then just hook it back up at bedtime it makes it feel bigger
Yes! This is exactly the experience I'm looking for. Luxe products seem to be excellent, especially for the money. They are often huge, which is a pro and a con, isn't it? Was hoping for something <1.5kg. The Minipeak II is 1.62kg without the pole. With my trekking pole I'm getting closer to 2kg territory. No free lunch I guess, will have to choose between space and weight :???:
Verena wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:33 am This looks similar to the DD Super light pyramid tent
I don't really like the full mesh on this one, and the entrance is quite low. It's smaller and lighter though. Requires more pegs and guy lines than the Minipeak II, right?

What about the Lunar Solo or Lanshan 1? Are they too minimalists in your opinion? Not roomy enough?
nagasaki45

Post by nagasaki45 »

Verena wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:33 am This looks similar to the DD Super light pyramid tent
Checked again, and the Minipeak II is actually very similar to the DD SuperLight XL Pyramid with Solo Mesh.

Also, I think I underestimated the weight reduction of Stu's poles. If these are 60-100 grams that's a massive difference compared to a trekking pole. Not that I plan to get any soon, but good to know I have an upgrade path if I want to reduce weight.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:50 am
What's a peak vent? X_X
Verena

Post by Verena »

nagasaki45 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:45 am Thanks for the recommendations!

I don't really like the full mesh on this one, and the entrance is quite low. It's smaller and lighter though. Requires more pegs and guy lines than the Minipeak II, right?
I've only got the outer, so it's basically a shaped tarp. Feels spacious inside and I can easily sit up in it. Not sure how many pegs, about 8 or so?

I like the just hanging it off a tree branch option, easy peasy and gives more space inside. I've also seen it where if there is no overhanging branch bit, you can tie some string horizontally between two trees or similar, and then suspend the tent vertically from that. All very lightweight.
nagasaki45

Post by nagasaki45 »

Verena wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:43 am
nagasaki45 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:45 am
I've only got the outer, so it's basically a shaped tarp. Feels spacious inside and I can easily sit up in it.
Do you use a bivvy? Just a groundsheet? Nothing at all?

As you can probably tell, I'm relatively new to all of this, but managed to get through some really wet nights already (Dartmoor and Yorkshire), and ticks (New Forest). Hard to prioritize bug protection and rain protection, but I guess I need some, ideally of both.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What's a peak vent?
It's a vent located near or at the top.
What about the Lunar Solo or Lanshan 1?
Can't speak for the Lanshan but the Lunar Solo is a cracking shelter. For many, it's perhaps near perfect for lightweight duties. Won't be as roomy* as a Mini Peak but considerably lighter.

*but roomy enough.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

You can often add sufficient bug protection with a sea2summit net:

https://www.seatosummit.co.uk/products/ ... ramid-net/

Useful if you're not thinking of going "full tent".

Generally small. light, compact and affordable (all relative I know).
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

BTW I have the mini peak and the lanshan lunar solo copy, ive only set it up not slept in it as yet, but if the weather looks good ill be taking the lanshan but any dodgy weather and ill take the mini peak, if I'm hill walking ill always take the mini due to the extra space it gives you
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Re the Lanshan v the Lunar Solo.

If you want to sit up and cook in it, I'd consider the Lanshan 1 which has a detachable inner. (The Lanshan Pro has a sewn in mesh door and side skirts, so very like a Lunar Solo). You can pitch the Lanshan 1 without the inner, then hook one of the doors up with a stick or pole. Gives you heaps of space, and you can use the inner as a ground sheet till you're ready for bed, and just clip it up.

Of course, with the inner pitched up inside it, there's less room and, at 6'2", lots of timber and on a pretty thick mat, the mesh brushes my face, which is a bit of a pain.

I have a Lunar Solo as well and much prefer this, especially if I'm not camping in a damp, windless woods when condensation is an issue, or when I'm not cooking in bad weather. It's lighter, packs smaller and is easier to pitch, but for me there's not enough room in the vestibule to sit comfortably, cook and faff. Other's experience may differ, of course.
I'm just going outside ...
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

There's always the legendary MLD Trailstar .....
Verena

Post by Verena »

nagasaki45 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:30 am
Verena wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:43 am
nagasaki45 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:45 am
Do you use a bivvy? Just a groundsheet? Nothing at all?
I've used a piece of permavent from Stu as a groundsheet, but still experimenting, if I went off proper bike packing for a few nights I'd probably use a bivvy as a ground sheet and to cover more options....

But what do I know, I'm also new to this, so bough to the much greater experience of others here...
Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:50 am
Don't think so, no.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Does anyone make a tent like the Luxe Minipeak Ii, but lighter?
I have a Zephyros 2 XL UL which is only 1.7kg, so lighter than the Luxe once you add the pole. But I would rather have something with a 1 man inner but a 2 man outer, if that makes sense?
nagasaki45

Post by nagasaki45 »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:39 am You can often add sufficient bug protection with a sea2summit net.
This is approaching an amount of faff that's beyond what I want. I mean, a tarp + bivvy + bug net? Isn't it better to just get a tent? Or a tarp + bivvy with integrated bug net.
TheBrownDog wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:15 pm If you want to sit up and cook in it, I'd consider the Lanshan 1 which has a detachable inner. (The Lanshan Pro has a sewn in mesh door and side skirts, so very like a Lunar Solo). You can pitch the Lanshan 1 without the inner, then hook one of the doors up with a stick or pole. Gives you heaps of space, and you can use the inner as a ground sheet till you're ready for bed, and just clip it up.
I like the idea of the Lanshan 1, but worry the inner tent will be too crammed, hence preferring the pro version. Good to know that it's easy to un-clip the lanshan 1 inner though. Will think about it...
Cheeky Monkey wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:21 pm There's always the legendary MLD Trailstar .....
I think it's way outside my budget, even before considering a bivvy.
Verena wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:58 pm I've used a piece of permavent from Stu as a groundsheet, but still experimenting, if I went off proper bike packing for a few nights I'd probably use a bivvy as a ground sheet and to cover more options....
I like the idea of slowly buying into this, especially considering that a tarp + bivvy (or this pyramid + footprint) is modular and can be upgraded piece by piece.
yourguitarhero wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:01 pm Does anyone make a tent like the Luxe Minipeak Ii, but lighter?
I have a Zephyros 2 XL UL which is only 1.7kg, so lighter than the Luxe once you add the pole. But I would rather have something with a 1 man inner but a 2 man outer, if that makes sense?
I think you're pretty much describing the DD SuperLight XL Pyramid with Solo Mesh. Looks very similar to the Minipeak II but lighter. The inner seems much less elegant though. All of the videos I've seen pitch inner first with pole somehow inside the inner. There are some 550 grams inner tents for 40-50$ on Aliexpress. Maybe that's a solution...
Verena

Post by Verena »

All this talk of tents just makes me want to get out there for the night...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Verena wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:19 pm All this talk of tents just makes me want to get out there for the night...
Tomorrow....

... might just take bivvy and tarp though!
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’m not so sure you ‘need’ a bivi with things like the Lux or DD.
I’m a very content Gatewood user and rarely think it necessary to use a bivi in addition. The Gatewood is way smaller than the things you’ve looking at.
I do always use a Tyvek ground sheet, cut only a bit bigger than my sleeping mat, and when buggy or very wet a net inner with bathtub floor.
Once I took a bivi as well when I was knowingly going out in very wet, very windy conditions and didn’t regret it. My bivi weighs the same as the Gatewood + carbon BB pole + Tyvek combined.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
BordersSteve

Post by BordersSteve »

New Lanshan 1 Plus might be worth a look.

https://youtu.be/6T4VUK7hFCE
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I'll just add my lanshan is the older where the inner unclipped too a much better option than the new imho, also I got the mini peak with a mind to stick a bivy in and have loads of room but tbh I want bug protection as I always get bitten and the inner weighs about the same as a bivy bag anyway so I don't have a bivy bag, I guess if it were cold it would add some protection, but as I say with both just unclip the roof clip and sit on the bed during non sleep times and both give plenty of room, but the lux is massive if weather is crap and like I say I put my full stoater in the porch both wheels on and mudguards and racks lol no bother , took whole porch up nearly but it was safe on a campsite, I just wish the lux inner had a zip on both sides sometimes so I could get out either side but you can't have it all and it would weigh more
Iirc my set up with lux heavy pole and a tyvek groundsheet it was just under 2.1kg with everything in bag and the lanshan was around 1kg with stus pole and a tyvek groundsheet, but I think personally space is more important than weight, but the lanshan is definitely gonna be easier to pack on a bike