Magpies.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

tobasco

Re: Magpies.

Post by tobasco »

Passed two kites sat high in tree the other week, so stopped to watch for five minutes. There was a lone crow in tree at other end of field. One of the kites left it’s perch and headed for the crow to chase it off before returning to its perch. You could almost hear the kites saying “it’s your turn”. Have only ever seen kites on the wing previously.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

tobasco wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:21 pm Have only ever seen kites on the wing previously.
Me too until last week when I watched a pair of them settle into an oak tree on our common. I slowly wandered over and had a proper gander. They are my absolute favourite bird - hands down. Their return from near extinction in Britain from the 1960s when there were only about 20 pairs to today, when they are one of the most common sights in the skies round mine, is a bleeding wonder.

Love em.

And on Sunday, I'm getting up close and personal with one. A friend gave me a present of a falconry experience for my birthday last year. COVID blah blah COVID blah blah .... it's been postponed five times but we're on for the weekend. And a kite is going to fly to my hand and sit there while I marvel at its majesty and quite probably blubber like a middle aged man with little control over his emotions. Should be fun.
I'm just going outside ...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Shitehawks
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:30 pmShitehawks
Charming,

It's Colin, isn't it? Colin? Why are you such a prick?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

https://tinyurl.com/2jhtp85h
TheBrownDog wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:02 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:30 pmShitehawks
Charming,

It's Colin, isn't it? Colin? Why are you such a prick?
And if you have a problem, let me direct you here...

ucp.php?i=ucp_zebra&mode=foes
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

You haven't answered my question. Why are you such a prick?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'd disagree with you but it's obvious I've upset you in some way. If I knew what it was, I might offer an apology but since I can't determine the cause, it's a bit hard for me to do so. TBH I'm not even sure in what threads we've had any previous interaction and I can't see why rereferring to a raptor by it's nickname would suddenly cause such an outburst. Perhaps you weren't aware of the link at first but I thought that my link explaining it would have been enough.

However, feel free to adopt my other suggestion of using the "Foes" function so that you're not further inconvenienced by my posts on the forum.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

The term shitehawk is not a nickname. That would imply some affection. It's a pejorative label that was applied to them and contributed to the attitude that it was ok to shoot and bait them. You might not have know that though, so I'll take a panda on this, and your last post as an apology, as left handed as it is.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

TheBrownDog wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:17 pm ... it's been postponed five times but we're on for the weekend.
A birthday present that's finally come to fruition. Excellent stuff and worthy of a "cheery Friday". :-bd

Have a great day! :YMPARTY: :d
May you always have tail wind.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

MuddyPete wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:29 pm
TheBrownDog wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:17 pm ... it's been postponed five times but we're on for the weekend.
A birthday present that's finally come to fruition. Excellent stuff and worthy of a "cheery Friday". :-bd

Have a great day! :YMPARTY: :d

Cheers Pete. Thanks.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Maybe Cumbrians are more reserved/grumpy, but I was brought up to cross my thumbs at a single magpie - feels like a 'Feck you, you're not jinxing me' type manoeuvre. Seeing three always caused a little frisson of anticipatory excitement.......
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I thought about this all day. Magpies are lovely birds to watch and I love their distinctive call. It’s one of the few birds I can 100% identify by sound alone. But they can be utter arseholes as well, like many other birds in the animal kingdom including Robins. They are opportunists and will think nothing of destroying a smaller birds nest/brood. I can see how they can attract the shitehawk tag just like seagulls get a bad (and often deserved) rep. But equally I want them in my life as I’ve managed to skate past the superstitions and just like seeing them as they’re purty.

Not sure it warrants calling the labeller a “prick”, maybe a discussion would be better?

Cheers Dave
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I can see how they can attract the shitehawk tag
It's Kites that were sometimes called that Dave.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:16 pm
I can see how they can attract the shitehawk tag
It's Kites that were sometimes called that Dave.
One of my favourite birds. I’ve spent hours watching them hang in the sky on the scrounge. Same sentiments apply as per magpies
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Dave Barter wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:11 pm But they can be utter arseholes as well, like many other birds in the animal kingdom including Robins. They are opportunists and will think nothing of destroying a smaller birds nest/brood.

Cheers Dave
They can indeed. I’ve had them taking the swallow chicks out of the nests in one of my outbuildings. I hated them for that, but at the end of the day, they’re just trying to make a living, same as the rest of us. Poor old wasps get a bad press too, they’re not evil, they’re just being wasps.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Linkpin

Post by Linkpin »

There are some fantastic folk songs about magpies: https://mainlynorfolk.info/folk/songs/themagpie.html

One of the only birds that can recognise themselves in a mirror, too.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Linkpin wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:56 pm One of the only birds that can recognise themselves in a mirror, too.
Mrs Perrin is one of the other sorts that is able to do that. Spends ages preening. And she frequently takes my things away and hides them in her own nest. Especially shiny things like chocolate wrappers. Usually with the chocolate still in them.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

RIP wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:19 pm
Linkpin wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:56 pm One of the only birds that can recognise themselves in a mirror, too.
Mrs Perrin is one of the other sorts that is able to do that. Spends ages preening. And she frequently takes my things away and hides them in her own nest. Especially shiny things like chocolate wrappers. Usually with the chocolate still in them.
:lol: :lol:
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Folks in Brisvegas ride with zipties pointy end up on their helmet to keep the magpies from swooping. Seems to work as they go for me instead. Had a couple of pecks on the helmet since I've been back. Crazy look though the whole zip tie helmet thing.

Greetz

S.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Poor old wasps get a bad press too, they’re not evil, they’re just being wasps.
Nah, they’re just *****
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

But they can be utter arseholes as well, like many other birds in the animal kingdom including Robins.
I always find comments like these a bit rich coming from humans...
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Piemonster wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:34 am
Nah, they’re just *****
I used to strongly detest was wasps, (or Jaspers, round these parts!). I have strong intolerance( mild allergy) to the stings and inflammation lasts for weeks.
But still they If we, are foolish to annoy them... , like swotting them... a garden with out them will be full of aphids / greenfly, etc.

I agree with Landslide...
Give them their space and we can Co exist
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

We’re allowed to dislike Murder Hornets though, right?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

PaulB2 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:52 pm We’re allowed to dislike Murder Hornets though, right?
Maybe... the ones that overthrow the hiney bees and everything else... hmmm

Lets agree on scorpions. I even blotted out my castelli hat from the scorpi-logo...
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

ledburner wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:46 pm
Piemonster wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:34 am
Nah, they’re just *****
I used to strongly detest was wasps, (or Jaspers, round these parts!). I have strong intolerance( mild allergy) to the stings and inflammation lasts for weeks.
But still they If we, are foolish to annoy them... , like swotting them... a garden with out them will be full of aphids / greenfly, etc.

I agree with Landslide...
Give them their space and we can Co exist
Don’t care, burn them all....