Raceface 30mm Spindle Cranks, BB Q's

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Raceface 30mm Spindle Cranks, BB Q's

Post by FLV »

Hi

I have some RaceFace Turbine cranks, specifically with 30mm spindle (136). They on a bike with a standard BSA threaded 73mm wide bottom bracket. All simple so far.

When I got the cranks, I also got a RF cinch BB. Its now done in the region of 1000km and having a good creak to make me aware of its quality, or lack of...

My questions are, does anyone else have these cranks? If so, what is your chosen BB ?

I don't see any reason why a Hope or Rideworks etc wouldn't fit and work (even though RF state that you need theirs)

(I have done all the usual thread cleaning and greasing etc etc)
Gari

Re: Raceface 30mm Spindle Cranks, BB Q's

Post by Gari »

Hopes work with them fine, going by various customer feedback on several retail sites. The tool is also in stock now too, which was an issue when I was looking for a 30mm BB before Xmas!!!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Just picked up a cheap NOS Sram 30mm crank for the gravel bike so also looking at BB's. Rotor ones are £45 but enduro bearings are rubbish so problys better off with a hope. Interestingly the destructions that came with the crank advocates prising the seals out of the BB bearings and cleaning and regreasing every six months. Previously the likes of Sram would have never said to do this - just ride it 'till it dies then buy another.....
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’ve used a hope, it’s been going for about 5 years with multiple bearing changes :lol: really they are all just holders for the bearings and I expect little to choose between them. I pop the seals off regularly flush and regrease. When they go buy decent quality replacements from a bearing supplier for much less than ‘bicycle’ bearings and cost is not an issue.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
FLV

Post by FLV »

Thanks for the info.

I think I'll pop teh bearing seals out and have a look, re-grease for a start. Then replace the bearings in the RF shells.

Interesting on prices for bearings,

Cheap £2
Stainless cheap £4
Enduro £16 - £25
SKF £17 - £20

Quite a variation as expected. Probably get some SKF ones
substandard

Post by substandard »

I just carefully pressed out the woeful RF bearings from the cups and fitted some genuine SKF ones to both my bikes that have these 30mm cranks.

Both have been faultless and have lasted many times longer than the original ones

The last set I did in July, these are what I used
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCWLrnKBPiL ... 3795c5e9r4
FLV

Post by FLV »

substandard wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:39 am I just carefully pressed out the woeful RF bearings from the cups and fitted some genuine SKF ones to both my bikes that have these 30mm cranks.

Both have been faultless and have lasted many times longer than the original ones

The last set I did in July, these are what I used
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCWLrnKBPiL ... 3795c5e9r4
Sounds like we came to the same conclusion, just ordered the same :-)
I have a bearing press, so easy street.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Had a look at the RF ones.. inner and outer race has movement relative to one another that shouldn't be there, so no point in persevering with them.

Ordered some SKF at £16 a pop from a place in 'uddersfield, should last better.