Bikes on Scottish trains

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Scud

Bikes on Scottish trains

Post by Scud »

We are hoping to ride the Badger Divide from 15/05 to 20/05 - we have train tickets booked from Glasgow to Inverness to ride back down, but whilst tickets are booked, it said you could only book bike places a month in advance, but when we called today seeking clarity, we have been told the two bike places have gone on every train from 6am onwards.

Are they very strict on the 2 bikes per train rule? Can you turn up with ticket and try and get bikes on?
ScotRoutes

Re: Bikes on Scottish trains

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've always been successful on the more rural lines but it will very much depend on the staff and on whether or not the two folk who've booked actually turn up. There's no certainty so I'd be looking at contingency plans.

I was once on the Glasgow-Oban train where IIRC there was about a dozen bikes 😅
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

We travelled up to do the badger, we couldn't book from Glasgow to Inverness (two trains for us) and had to just be super nice to the ticket guy to let us on. It's a little stressy, but they'll usually let you on.
robbie

Post by robbie »

I've always been ok and never booked. Maybe just lucky! It really is a massive flaw in the system and needs to be better.
A mate once got refussed but then took the wheels off and wrapped them in a black bag and took the frame/wheels on as normal luggage.
Hassle but could get you out of tricky situation.

Reminds me of the time I got fined and kicked of a train to Rome. I had been sick and really unwell and just hoped on the next train without checking if they would allow the bike :roll:
Had been on for a while and then the very pretty female conductor told me off and gave me a 10 euro fine and said I'd have to leave at the next stop :oops: I was very happy in my dazed state to find out the next stop was indeed Rome :-bd Where I spent 3 days recovering :wink:
Scud

Post by Scud »

Thanks all. It's always the little things that give you grief, i hate trains at the best of times, they could be a good solution to less traffic on roads, but only once they improve them greatly..
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

I am not sure if this is possible but I am going to say it anyway !!
One way hire on a van from Glasgow to Inverness for the bikes and 2 to 3 people.
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

The relief of actually getting on the train is brilliant though.